My college degree is worthless apparently.

My homey had a degree in journalism..wanting to work for ESPN.

Let’s say that didn’t happen... :lol:

However, I mentor him into I.T. With no educational background in the field, because he has a degree and now tons of IT experience...he’s a lead of a small team.

After 5 years in the industry, he’s just now working to get certifications.

Im glad I didn't waste time and money for college. Have a couple homies couldn't find work after college and had to join the military. Unless your going to college for something high in demand like healthcare/medical field, than I wouldn't. Even then there's trade schools for that also which may be faster and cheaper.

Problem for a lot of people is that they enter college awkward and weak and think the motions somehow change that. When you get selected for a job there’s more to it than credentials. Those people are picking who they want to stand side by side with for years to come.

Then you have people that think graduation is enough. There are levels to that accomplishment. If you aren’t even the best in a given classroom what makes you think you stand out anywhere else?

This is facts! A degree is only worthless if you are incapable of leveraging it and/or your overall skillset is weak (not just your skillset pertaining to what you studied, your "soft skills" and problem solving ability). Your area of study factors into it as well but not as strongly as some might think. I believe that employers tend to trend towards applicants with degrees, no matter the major.

One thing I learned is that you shouldn't pigeon-hole yourself. Don't expect to work in a very specific industry because you have a very specific degree. I'm a software developer and I know folks with all kinds of degrees ranging from English to Music to none.

College is by no means a necessity or a requirement btw, in tech for instance you can definitely secure the bag without any real formal education (it might be harder but still possible)

Last edited:
I do believe students think just because they have a degree a job will be handed to them and the reality is that it doesnt work that way.
However.
If you didn't go to college your already at a HUGE disadvantage. A degree will open a lot of doors for you.
I agree but you have to put work in before you graduate. If you don't have an internship or an entry level position before you graduate, you're on the road to possible disappointment.

yeah to follow my previous post i still think getting a full education is still very important
especially if you want to get to that next level (like 6 figures)

im planning on getting my bachelors cause i still have money from my gi bill and also the hospital i work for covers full tuition. no point in not taking advantage of it.

A college degree is only worthless if you're one of those people that only traveled from your dorm to the classroom back to the dorm. Half of the battle is networking with people that can help you land a good paying job.

Hell I didn't finish getting my degree, but I managed to get a good paying job because I managed to build a nice network from growing up in the area, attending a college in the area & joining a fraternity. Now I'm in the process of going back to school, online, so I can finish up the year and a half I have left just so certain companies won't hold that over my head.

Dont pay for college if you dont have a plan or just attending as "something to do", the cost is not worth it these days ...I know a couple chicks down here that were bs'n at Clark ATL, got their degree but IG thottin and groupie luv the only thing poppin for em :lol: :smh:

7 years fast forward :lol:

I went in for an interview for a merchandising position in the men’s department at Macy’s. I got a real reality check. :lol:

After that, I went back to school to peruse a MS in P.A. Studies, ran a chicken farm business, DD anonymous, etc.

Nonetheless, I found that I wasn’t happy with myself - along with the company and people I was working for.

I shifted my focus more so improving myself and changed my profession within IT.

I’ve moved up the ladder and now with another company. Work remote full time and the pay is legit.

Damn what's your debt like? FIDM and grad school is like a double whammy.

didn't goto college

but i would have gotten to the position im in a bit sooner and probably in a different field had I gone

i kind of just fell into what i do now through other jobs

college is worth it. Thing is, you have to be versatile and follow up on everything being taught.

You have accounting/econ majors in sociology class thinking they know what’s up. Vice versa...

Nah homie, sit yo *** and soak up this game

Any update from OP?

I changed careers to something more stable / makes money.

To be honest though I don’t love / like what I do but I can see myself doing it for 10 years to continue stacking bread to get into real estate.

All of y'all with degrees making less than 50k need to go find a city, state, or federal job in any field. Everyone who works for the government is old and retiring. You will get a promotion in 3-5 years and will have a decent retirement.

But if you want high six figures you will be forced back into the private sector with whatever experience you have.

All of y'all with degrees making less than 50k need to go find a city, state, or federal job in any field. Everyone who works for the government is old and retiring. You will get a promotion in 3-5 years and will have a decent retirement.

But if you want high six figures you will be forced back into the private sector with whatever experience you have.

I want to do the reverse. Work hard for a while in private and get some savings and then settle into something not that exhausting in the government sector side as I get older and want that stability and retirement peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom