My college degree is worthless apparently.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Slightly off-topic, however...
I know the economy's bad, people are out of work, etc, etc, but why has the general theme lately been that people should settle (and be totally happy) with whatever they're getting paid?  Is it wrong to feel like your education + experience should make you worth more?
Every time I see a thread about jobs or salaries its a bunch of people saying "you should be happy with that salary" "that's more than enough to be comfortable" "I got a friend with 5 masters and 3 doctorates who makes 8.00/hour"  

If you're cool with you salary (whatever it may be) because you feel it is appropriate considering your experience and education that's perfectly fine.  But if you're only cool with your salary because you're comparing yourself to other people who make less or because somebody else is telling you that's what you should be happy with y'all are seriously limiting your growth and devaluing yourself.

Peace. 

Time Out....
indifferent.gif
. I was briefly reading this thread before going to sleep (after a long week, of working a part time job that makes more than your friend...)

I don't know what your friend is doing but if I had a Masters... let alone a Doctorates I wouldn't be making merely "$8.00/hr." I really wanna call ducktales on this one but can you somewhat clarify his situation, without going too personal into details. I think it's either mere stupidity or just straight up horrific luck to be caught on that end of the career stick.

With that said, I feel the same way with my degree. I've already outlined my regret in other threads, however it's just like what everyone else is doing. I think I'll start reaching out to some fellow UC alums on LinkedIn hopefully they'll have better gigs lined up because I am done with my current job, the co-workers don't really make it any better
tired.gif

where you work at famb?
and what did you major in ?

Originally Posted by Osek206

laugh.gif
 But really I'm mad as hell. I decided to move in with my brother to change my life around because making 42k after 6 years experience in the Environmental Health and Safety field with my degree in Environmental Studies just doesn't make since to me. I'd like to move back to the westcoast, Baltimore sucks to me but I really need to change my career first or it would be a pointless move.  Has anyone successfully changed their career around and actually became more successful in the process? Tips would help but ultimately I'm going to need a new direction.
i feel you bro i got my degree in physical education health recreation with a concentration in recreation and my GOD if i would have known it would have been this hard with a degree i would have gotten a trade and been it seems a lot better off. im looking at starting grad school by next fall because im currently trying to get out of debt plus i have to pay 2000 dollars to my school in order to get my degree papers 
ohwell.gif
 but i was thinking about going a completely different direction for my masters any insight NT fam??

Ya'll dudes would be really interested to see what kind of people with high level degrees are sitting downstairs in QA testing (for video games) making the same amount ($8-$10/hr) as the dude next to them who can barley read and only graduated high school.

It's tough out there especially in So-Cal.

I work for California Department of Public Health and there's a branch for "Environmental Studies". Visit cdph.ca.gov for any openings. A level entry position starts pretty hefty and with your experience, I don't see why not. Good luck OP

Anybody with a degree in Business in the DMV area with any experience in government contracts?  Level I position 50-55K full benefits, will be reimbursed to obtain CFCM certification. 

^^^I majored in business economics and have experience..working in the DMV and getting any certification wouldn't be a problem ..so what's up shuttlesworth?

My situation is very similar. 8-9 years of experience and I have nothing to show for it. I am currently in the I.T. profession. I hate it everyday I come in here. I've decided to fly to NYC in 2 weeks and seek my admission into the Fashion Institute of Technology. I am going to see what will it take for me to get into their Fashion Merchandising Management program. I figure I'll make about the same amount of money as I do now but atleast I will enjoy what I do.

It's never too late.

Update?

No one's agree is worthless

Our economy is rigged and it screws over works in a variety of ways. One such was is making it so that credentials are no guarantee of a middle class life and you have to pay a king's ransom, in any case, to get that credential which you must pay back not matter how little money you end up making.

Do not blame education, blame capitalism.

Yall dudes settling for 40k???

People are desperate. I would.

Right after a finished my undergrad, I was like "Should I have gotten into finance instead ?" because it was that bad. Which kinda forced me to learn options trading on the side as a side hustle.

I'm in tech. That was my starting salary. That was after the .com bubble burst. I'm under 200k after 12 years in the industry but this is because the tech world is booming. Although everything is fine in the tech world right now, keep in mind, it is cyclical.

Just look at other industries e.g. Alberta Oil workers and how they're in a slump right now, or the recent shale/fracking boom in the US.

One such was is making it so that credentials are no guarantee of a middle class life

that's because some idiots take up degrees that have absolutely zero market demand once you leave college.

I'm finding that many people who attend college have misguided expectations and a lack of ambition

i.e. entitlement issues.

Do not blame education, blame capitalism

capitalism merely determines da market value of your skills, its up to you to learn skills that da market demands.

7 years fast forward :lol:

I went in for an interview for a merchandising position in the men’s department at Macy’s. I got a real reality check. :lol:

After that, I went back to school to peruse a MS in P.A. Studies, ran a chicken farm business, DD anonymous, etc.

Nonetheless, I found that I wasn’t happy with myself - along with the company and people I was working for.

I shifted my focus more so improving myself and changed my profession within IT.

I’ve moved up the ladder and now with another company. Work remote full time and the pay is legit.

Last edited:
Come to Houston. Biggest medical center in the world
Get an associates in one of the health programs and you can start off at least 55k and that’s more than enough to live very comfortably in Houston.

You will always have a job
Great benefits great healthcare
Plenty of opportunity to get a 2nd job if you really want to put in hours and as soon as you get some experience your salary will go up quickly
You can make lots of overtime too

Everyone Is flourishing off these degrees and are living in giant houses
And working in a hospital is not hard at all or physically demanding unless your a fatty and don’t like to walk

I started off as a rad tech making around 50k - 60k with no experience. I grinded my *** off for about 6 months and got cross trained in to a field you would normally need a bachelors degree in.
Fast forward 3 years later and I’m making over 80k with more vacation time than I can take and more free time to NT (this is a lot in Houston especially being single with no kids)
I’ve been supporting me and my girl while she is in school and we have been living very comfortably. Almost feel guilty how easy this is coming from the military

as a male especially in the health care world, you will flourish and always be in demand.
I have homies that are nurses with more opportunity than they know what to do with

Last edited:
I’m glad I got into a blue collar job after getting a 4 year degree in an oversaturated field.

If you graduate college and you aren’t happy with your pay then try and get into a trade. Always in demand and always gonna be making decent money

Problem for a lot of people is that they enter college awkward and weak and think the motions somehow change that. When you get selected for a job there’s more to it than credentials. Those people are picking who they want to stand side by side with for years to come.

Then you have people that think graduation is enough. There are levels to that accomplishment. If you aren’t even the best in a given classroom what makes you think you stand out anywhere else?

I’m glad I got into a blue collar job after getting a 4 year degree in an oversaturated field.

If you graduate college and you aren’t happy with your pay then try and get into a trade. Always in demand and always gonna be making decent money

what do you do if you dont mind me asking

I'm finding that many people who attend college have misguided expectations

I do believe students think just because they have a degree a job will be handed to them and the reality is that it doesnt work that way.
However.
If you didn't go to college your already at a HUGE disadvantage. A degree will open a lot of doors for you.

Idk college outside of a few fields is pointless TO ME. Not throwing shade at anyone, live your dreams and do your thing, this is all my personal opinion. I know too many people who spent their whole adult life in school and got nothing to show for it but a piece of paper. While some of us took up a trade, for a job, learned a skill and have 0 debt and make more money. There’s no way I’d spend 4-6 years in school if I wasn’t guaranteed to make at least 60k when I’m done.

Back
Top Bottom