Most Disappointing Careers In Hip Hop?

^^^Use to bump that everyday

What about Little Brother as a group?  They have two great albums, The Minstrel Show is a personal favorite I would say it borderline classic.  I know they where a smaller underground rap act, but it seems like they could have done a lot more.  They had great chemistry, and really fell apart rather quickly.   Phonte is a top 10 rapper when he wants to be.   

DMX's name should never be mentioned in this thread.  As a rapper he had one of the greatest careers ever and is a living legend. 

IDAHIH is a classic.  He completely changed the game with it too.  Remember, Puff was on top at this point with a real clean polished and pop sound, while DMX brought back that raw, gritty and hard sound.

He had two number one albums released in the same year.  His consistency is unmatched.  Not to mention he had a pretty successful acting career during his run at the top as well.  Belly, Cradle to the Grave, Romeo Must Die.
i agree

Malik and Jamal from Illegal.

A3200_Z1.jpg

Last edited:
Ray
LaRon James

Career was the ultimate pump fake.
Dude had the prefect steup.
Could spit
winning wit the ladies
had a poppin team

I was expecting at least 1solo lp down the line that I could at least argue was a classic. :smh:
And what do I get? Some Skull gang doo doo and more rumors.

I would agree with those who said:

Fab
Jada
Juelz
Banks

Some of raps biggest underachievers.  Guys had everything lined up to be part of raps elite, but could just never deliver.  I'm sure some dudes are gonna jump in and cape for Fab, maybe even Jada, but if we are being as objective as possible, these dudes just never had that career defining album and just frankly never lived up to their potential.

Man, this made me shake my head. So much truth in this. I remember being in middle school and telling everyone Banks and Fab were going to take the crown in the rap game. I remember first moving to Atlanta and whenever I had to go to bat for NY rap (this was around '04 when the south first began their takeover), I would always point to Banks and Fab. It sucks that they never went as far as their potential could have taken them.

I remember dropping punchline after punchline from Banks or Fab on dudes in high school when they'd try to debate southern rappers vs northern rappers. Back when Fab used to rock the chain that was canary yellow and white, I would always reference the line

"And yall got jewels, but I doubt it's the same kind
Mines looks like the sun and moon's out at the same time"
:x

Man... Those two had it, b. :smh:

^^^Use to bump that everyday

What about Little Brother as a group?  They have two great albums, The Minstrel Show is a personal favorite I would say it borderline classic.   I know they where a smaller underground rap act, but it seems like they could have done a lot more.  They had great chemistry, and really fell apart rather quickly.   Phonte is a top 10 rapper when he wants to be.   
Phonte is the best rapper out of NC to me.

But yeah I definitely agree.

What about Little Brother as a group?  They have two great albums, The Minstrel Show is a personal favorite I would say it borderline classic.  I know they where a smaller underground rap act, but it seems like they could have done a lot more.  They had great chemistry, and really fell apart rather quickly.   Phonte is a top 10 rapper when he wants to be.   
Once 9th Wonder left LB, it was a wrap. The Get Back was such a flop and their sound was never the same without 9th; even if Khrysis produced some songs for them here and there. I am a huge fan of Justus League and everyone in the entire camp was ill. I agree that Phonte is extremely nice on the mic.

Once 9th Wonder left LB, it was a wrap. The Get Back was such a flop and their sound was never the same without 9th; even if Khrysis produced some songs for them here and there. I am a huge fan of Justus League and everyone in the entire camp was ill. I agree that Phonte is extremely nice on the mic.
Man I was such a big fan of the Justus League and what they where doing at that time. LB was really their foundation though so it ended for all those guys too.

Charity Starts at Home is a nice album, but the standouts where the few tracks produced by 9th. Like I said those guys had such great chemistry, nothing else really compares. Aside from Sean P, no one sounds better over 9th beats than LB.

Man, this made me shake my head. So much truth in this. I remember being in middle school and telling everyone Banks and Fab were going to take the crown in the rap game. I remember first moving to Atlanta and whenever I had to go to bat for NY rap (this was around '04 when the south first began their takeover), I would always point to Banks and Fab. It sucks that they never went as far as their potential could have taken them.

I remember dropping punchline after punchline from Banks or Fab on dudes in high school when they'd try to debate southern rappers vs northern rappers. Back when Fab used to rock the chain that was canary yellow and white, I would always reference the line

"And yall got jewels, but I doubt it's the same kind
Mines looks like the sun and moon's out at the same time"
:x

Man... Those two had it, b. :smh:

That's 10 plus years ago now and Fab is still one of the best spitters in the game. He could just never put it all together when it mattered.

The run between DMX's 1st 3 albums was incredible. Didn't feel Great Depression & Grand Champ much, but he was still hot and they sold. It was pretty much a wrap once Year of The Dog hit.

Okay den 

Pill is better than Troy Ave

True, but the Titans are also better than the Jags.

I'm not a big fan of dude, but I don't see how DMX's career has been a disappointment. He was never super lyrical to begin with, so it is what it is with him in that regard & he reached tremendous fame for a period of time. He was the head of a movement & brought others into stardom with him.
He doesn't have the personality of a Jay Z, so that whole rap mogul thing was never in the cards

I'm not a big fan of dude, but I don't see how DMX's career has been a disappointment. He was never super lyrical to begin with, so it is what it is with him in that regard & he reached tremendous fame for a period of time. He was the head of a movement & brought others into stardom with him.
He doesn't have the personality of a Jay Z, so that whole rap mogul thing was never in the cards
Because he went from a damn near icon to beyond terrible, no rapper has fallen so hard IMO.

And it's more than rap with DMX when it comes to his overall career, Hollywood was ready and willing to put big $$$$ in his hands and he blew it all. 

Back
Top Bottom