Most Boring Car of the Week: Lexus IS250

al audi

Banned
View media item 196529
Saturday, December 29, 2012

Many people would stumble upon hearing that I drive a Lexus. They would give their left arm to own one. I, on the other hand, am rather disappointed if not angry about what my 41,000 dollars have gone into.

About a week ago I went ahead and purchased a Lexus IS250. I was rather excited to get a rear wheel drive front engine car equipped with a V6 motor. I purchased the limited edition which came with a two tone leather interior, lip spoiler in the back, F-Sport front fascia and darker wheels. It is no doubt one of the most beautiful cars out there on the market. It comes with various warranties ranging from 3-6 years covering different areas of the car from front to back, even the paint. Heck, you even get free weekly car wash and you can come in every morning into the dealership to fresh Porto's and popcorn.

There's no other car in the class that flows so beautifully. The car's looks are nothing less than perfect. The front fascia, the headlights, even the side-view mirrors. Then there's the interior. No doubt in my mind it is the best interior in the class (compared to 328i and C250). There's absolutely no reason why one should choose a BMW over the Lexus. At least that's what I would have said if I wasn't a proper car enthusiast.

Don't get me wrong, the car itself is magnificent, but why no option for manual? Why do I only get 204 hp when BMW for about the same money treats me with 40 extra ponies? Why can't I kick the tail out properly and thoroughly enjoy driving the car? It is as if I would have more fun sitting in a Jacuzzi reading Olaudah Equiano. The sound is fairly nice but it is just not successful in its ultimate task, and that is to install a vision-ruining smile on the driver's face. I just can't even force myself to smile when driving this car. So why would you spend 41,000 on a IS250 when you could get a Lancer Evolution GSR for 31,000? Why should anyone compromise fun over a badge? Seats? Well, the Evo has the most supportive seats in the class with its amazing Recaros' coming straight from Italy. RWD? What's the point if you can't properly kick the tail out unless you plan to keep your foot welded to the floor and crash into the nearest ditch? Luxury? The navigation and stereo systems on the Evolution are in the top ten of all standings. So why does Lexus charge 41,000 on a car that's no more fun than an ordinary Honda Civic? Because they simply can.

spot on

hope lexus will correct this when they unveil the new refresh this month.

Well there is the 350.

Dont see how someone could complain knowing the got the less sportier version of a car. Thats like buying a 328i and being upset it doesnt perform well. You should know what you are getting into. Thats why theres car review sites and forums.

Well there is the 350.

Dont see how someone could complain knowing the got the less sportier version of a car. Thats like buying a 328i and being upset it doesnt perform well. You should know what you are getting into. Thats why theres car review sites and forums.

this.

and i have one word for this guy in the article...mods

Well there is the 350.

EXACTLY...dude couldve easily got the previous yr 350 for the same money

Was going to get a new IS250 a few weeks ago and then i said to myself "why?" New is cool and all but i didn't see it being worth all that money. So, went to my boy and copped an 08 IS350 with a few interior upgrades. Has everything i need in a car. And if i wanted to, i can add any of the F sport extras later on. 

Would've rather gotten a new C class IMO. I've been looking at the IS250's as well. I think that Lexus is just going down hill man as far as overall designs go. Although their numbers are steady climbing, I feel like their cars just don't look that good anymore.

Don't get me wrong, the car itself is magnificent, but why no option for manual? Why do I only get 204 hp when BMW for about the same money treats me with 40 extra ponies? Why can't I kick the tail out properly and thoroughly enjoy driving the car?

But the car is 5-6 years old now, when it first came out, the 204hp was just about 20 less than the 328i. It was also on par/had the same power as the A4 and C-Class, only the G35 had an overwhelming power advantage at about 300hp. And no it does not cost the same, the IS250 is full of options while a comparable BMW would cost at least an extra $5k to get the same options.

The IS250 did come with a manual, the IS350 didn't. Not sure if that has all changed now.

You can kick the tail out if you turn off the traction control/VSC all the way off, in the IS250 I believe you have to hold the traction control button until it lights up in the in the dash.

And paying $41k for an IS250? :lol: Should have gotten an IS350 for that price.

I have a 2012 IS250 F-Sport, why is that dude hating? I knew what I was getting into, I wanted a overall nice car instead of a speed demon, if he wanted speed, he couldve bought a Mustang for 22K with more 100HP. That guy is just a dumbass

On another note though, Lexus needs to redesign this asap, and im sure they are. Isnt it debuting soon? I feel like this generation IS has been out for YEARS. Im guessing 6+?

that dude is ******ed as hell srs

brb lowest model and expects it to be fun
brb 40k for the lowest model :x
brb bought a lexus and expected it to be a fun car when he knew he couldve gotten a WRX/Evo etc instead

bruh for 40-45k you can find an M3 with around 30k miles on it

Last edited:
sounds like this guy didn't even do his research. who the hell spends 40,000+ and doesn't do an extensive research? jakes on him :lol:

On another note though, Lexus needs to redesign this asap, and im sure they are. Isnt it debuting soon? I feel like this generation IS has been out for YEARS. Im guessing 6+?

It's coming very soon, next gen IS be revealed at the Detroit Auto Show on Jan 15, two weeks from now.

Last edited:
The lack of manual transmission in luxury cars kills me. Yes, I know they are out there, but tougher to find. :smh:, lazy Americans... :lol:

Wouldn't a simple test drive and quick look at the specs let the person know this isn't the car for them.

Last edited:

should've bought the IS-F

Well there is the 350.

Stupid article to say the least. OP, you agree with it all? Why? This guy talks like Lexus promised him something more than they delivered. Son has no right to complain whatsoever.

Article is actually kinda disgusting to me.... If there's one thing I don't like, it's a grown person that doesn't take responsibility for their actions, and this guy is that. It's one thing to criticise Lexus for making an underperforming car, but it's another thing to complain about yourself buying an underperforming machine that you were fully aware of when you bought it.

Again, disgusting.

The lack of manual transmission in luxury cars kills me. Yes, I know they are out there, but tougher to find. :smh:, lazy Americans... :lol:

Agreed. The IS350 and ISF should have had a manual ****** as standard, then again I am not sure if the ISF is meant for a 6-speed manual ******, I think the new 7-gear manual ****** just started coming out this year. Either way, I think for the ISF, the ****** should be manual or dual clutch auto.

Back
Top Bottom