Microsoft Taking Heat For Avoid The Ghetto App.

Originally Posted by Aqua 8s

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

damn.. if only they had this app for Android or iOS. I was just talkin bout this with my buddy the other day.

The wife and I were in SF for a few days over the holidays for a quick vacation. I am not familiar with the city at all (and she is not that familiar). We were walking around the city, and her stupid iPhone told us to walk down Turk St. to get back to our hotel. Apparently Turk St. runs right through the heart of the Tenderloin (bad area). Next thing I know, we are walking amongst bums and crackheads, not another tourist or regular face to be seen. We cursed our phones for not having a function that outlined where the bad parts of town were. I guess I just needed a Windows phone. not my Android phone or the wife's iPhone
You must've not watched Dave Chappelle's stand-up special he did in SF.
He clearly stated there's nothing tender about Tenderloin 
laugh.gif

hahaha the thing is, my wife was like, lets stay North of Market St cause if we head South we are gonna hit the Tenderloin.

I would insert a joke about women and sense of direction, but the last time i made a joke about my wife Meth put me in timeout for a week.

They need one to find skeezers
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Why don't we have an app for young black ethic males who are accosted by the police in New York City every day (and other areas across the country) that allows them to map blocks where police pull over or stop people most frequently? 
is something like this in the works? 
nerd.gif

I'm sure they'd create a law out of no where to shoot that one down. 

First off im black im not for or against this app but i cant flat out call it racist. A dangerous neighborhood is a dangerous neighborhood. That said it may shelter peoples lives. People may avoid a place because of rep when there may be great things going on. Doesnt coney islands "lunar park" area have a bit of crime? Overall the app is bad but i wouldnt call it racist.

Why don't we have an app for young black ethic males who are accosted by the police in New York City every day (and other areas across the country) that allows them to map blocks where police pull over or stop people most frequently? 
nerd.gif

they already have them bro. just look for speed trap apps
and people who cry racist when the word ghetto pops up are the racists themselves for thinking ghetto means black.

:: sets GPS to drive to Detriot, Michigan :: :: selects avoid ghetto option :: :: gets rerouted to Lansing, Michigan ::

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

How is this app a bad thing? Just because a bad neighborhood has black people, it's racist to avoid it? Clowns
laugh.gif
@#$% the hood, why would I risk getting my car broken into by accidentally parking in an unsafe area?

Funny how "Black" was the first race to come to your head...
...maybe it was keepin' me out of the Irish cesspools of Boston.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

How is this app a bad thing? Just because a bad neighborhood has black people, it's racist to avoid it? Clowns
laugh.gif
@#$% the hood, why would I risk getting my car broken into by accidentally parking in an unsafe area?

That's because the OP's post specifically mentioned black people
grin.gif

"The app has its share of critics, including Tammy Chin, author of Technology and the Logic of American Racism, who told AOLthat the app could be considered racist."It's pretty appalling. Of course, an application like this defines crime pretty narrowly, since all crimes happen in all kinds of neighborhoods. I can't imagine that there aren't perpetrators of domestic violence, petty and insignificant drug possession, fraud, theft and rape in every area."
The app is absolutely ludicrous, and Microsoft should be ashamed of itself. To echo Chin's sentiment, why don't we have an app for young black males who are accosted by the police in New York City every day (and other areas across the country) that allows them to map blocks where police pull over or stop people most frequently?"

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Am I missing something? I don't see what is wrong with the app.
You're not missing anything, but you know the lames have to proclaim being offended.

laugh.gif

grin.gif

"The app has its share of critics, including Tammy Chin, author of Technology and the Logic of American Racism, who told AOLthat the app could be considered racist."It's pretty appalling. Of course, an application like this defines crime pretty narrowly, since all crimes happen in all kinds of neighborhoods. I can't imagine that there aren't perpetrators of domestic violence, petty and insignificant drug possession, fraud, theft and rape in every area."
The app is absolutely ludicrous, and Microsoft should be ashamed of itself. To echo Chin's sentiment, why don't we have an app for young black males who are accosted by the police in New York City every day (and other areas across the country) that allows them to map blocks where police pull over or stop people most frequently?"
That still doesn't really correlate to your post tho.
Tammy Chin countered the point of the app with a totally different facet of perceived racism. She didn't make a link between black people and the "ghetto" like you did. She didn't say "This app is racist to black people". 

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Am I missing something? I don't see what is wrong with the app.
You're not missing anything, but you know the lames have to proclaim being offended.

Agreed.
They shouldn't have named the app "avoid the ghetto" but its purpose could be potentially useful.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Microsoft is always practical with the names. "Internet Explorer" over "Safari". I'm sorry I didn't know I needed an elephant gun and pantaloons to search the web.

laugh.gif
My man got a microsoft one in his mouth after Bill gates came in his mouth

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

grin.gif

Tammy Chin countered the point of the app with a totally different facet of perceived racism. She didn't make a link between black people and the "ghetto" like you did. She didn't say "This app is racist to black people". 
though this is true what you say.
I find this one easy to understand what she is getting at imo

Originally Posted by sillyputty

They need one to find skeezers
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Why don't we have an app for young black ethic males who are accosted by the police in New York City every day (and other areas across the country) that allows them to map blocks where police pull over or stop people most frequently? 
nerd.gif
you late, they already have apps that locate checkpoint positions.

Now I have something to help me avoid Meadowview, G-Parkway, Oak Park, Mack Block, and Del Paso Height (shoutout to Sacramento)

Spoiler [+]

People are too sensititve nowadays.  Drop those people who complain into a city they don't know near bad neighborhoods and see how quickly they change their minds.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

grin.gif

Um...she was talking about a scenario where the roles were reversed for black people (where they could have a map of where injustices occur instead of people having a map of where black people in the "ghetto" live).
grin.gif
It wasn't explicitly stated but definitely implied. and as for me linking "black people" and "ghetto" automatically, I'm from San Jose CA where there are hardly any black people at all. If anything when I think of "ghetto" I think about cholos in Raiders jerseys, but I'm not gonna get into that right now

Back
Top Bottom