Miami Dolphins 2011 Season Thread: Thanx for the memories JT!

Originally Posted by miamib30514

So belicheck made Brady?
laugh.gif

Lets just disagree, you obviously subscribe to the theory that a head coach can "coach up" a Qb's skill.

Belicheck wasnt **** before Brady, Peyton Manning can coach his damn self, the same coach that took Arizona to the SB is looking sick

without Warner, Cowher was a playoff failure before Big Ben, Coughlin? he was bout to get fired before ELI went off.

I just think you are giving these coaches too much credit, i believe there is a reason there are so much openings every year.
Certainly there are degrees to everything, you bring up Arizona's coach, didn't he also lose his OC, Dansby, Rolle, Warner, Boldin........I mean.  If you blame the Head Coach for all that, then nobody is a good coach. 

That same OC in Arizona is now the head coach at KC.  And they brought in two former Patriot coordinators, and a former Patriot QB who never played a game in college other then to kneel down and that guy won 11 games with Belichick (who is nothing without Brady as you say) and now has won 10 in KC.  He wasn't "coached up?" 
ohwell.gif
  Casell is one of those guys that is so much better as an NFL QB then he was as a college one?  That makes sense to you somehow?  

Manning is Manning, I never said he HAD to have a coach to make him, but if you want to get technical, has he and Eli not had a coach with them their whole entire life? 
nerd.gif

Coaches and QB's certainly can go hand in hand.  Cowher was a solid coach for years, great team system, but his QB's were Kordell Stewart and Neil O-Donnell.  Of course Ben is gonna help that out a lil bit.  And it's isn't like Ben was some great QB in his second year when they won, they won despite him.  A lot like the Jets getting to the AFC title game with Sanchez. 

What I am saying with Henne is with a solid D (which we had) a good foundation of a running game (which we would have if Dan Henning was dead) a great #1 in Brandon (got that) a nice solid slot guy (Bess) decent field position keys in our kicker and punter (but we were terrible at coverage and returns) and another speed player to get some big plays/stretch a D, break a tackle, something in the 70 yarder range, Henne COULD be coached up enough to utilize all of that. 
You don't think Josh McDaniels as an OC workin with Henne could have improved that guy?  Look what he did with Kyle Orton.  Casell.  Brady.  His QB's made things happen.  Henne was taught to NEVER change a play at the line of scrimmage.  Are you @#$%^&* kidding me? 
sick.gif
  No matter how clear the mismatch (as Brandon says) he wouldn't do it, he was instructed not too.  That's ridiculous.  This ain't the 1950's.  You have to be able to adjust on the fly.

It doesn't matter who we bring in, Mallet, Luck, Pryor, Locker, whoever, if this same coaching staff is here, that QB has NO chance at success.  It is clear as day.  I don't know how anybody can think otherwise.  If you bring in a legit OC or QB coach, one or the other, or both, hell, even a Gruden would work for the position, and Henne still can't get it done from there, THEN you can put it all on Henne.  I would have no problem with that.  But I find it extremely difficult to believe that a kid can start from day 1 as a true freshman at the Univeristy of Michigan, play for 4 years, then come to the NFL and can't get it done, when a guy like Casell can hold a clip board in college for 4 years, and then come into the NFL and play at a high level for TWO teams, and that doesn't have at least something to do with the coaching around both players.  There's no way that's possible. 

Henne is gonna be in his 3rd year.  He has played great in games his first year, he has played terrible in games his second, he's gone back and forth.  New coach, he can't get it done, by all means, you can cut your losses.  But to rid yourselves of him now and go after a rookie QB, when do we expect results then?  Another 2-3-4 years?  While the rest of that team gets older and older?  That don't sound like a great plan to me. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by miamib30514

So belicheck made Brady?
laugh.gif

Lets just disagree, you obviously subscribe to the theory that a head coach can "coach up" a Qb's skill.

Belicheck wasnt **** before Brady, Peyton Manning can coach his damn self, the same coach that took Arizona to the SB is looking sick

without Warner, Cowher was a playoff failure before Big Ben, Coughlin? he was bout to get fired before ELI went off.

I just think you are giving these coaches too much credit, i believe there is a reason there are so much openings every year.
Certainly there are degrees to everything, you bring up Arizona's coach, didn't he also lose his OC, Dansby, Rolle, Warner, Boldin........I mean.  If you blame the Head Coach for all that, then nobody is a good coach. 

That same OC in Arizona is now the head coach at KC.  And they brought in two former Patriot coordinators, and a former Patriot QB who never played a game in college other then to kneel down and that guy won 11 games with Belichick (who is nothing without Brady as you say) and now has won 10 in KC.  He wasn't "coached up?" 
ohwell.gif
  Casell is one of those guys that is so much better as an NFL QB then he was as a college one?  That makes sense to you somehow?  

Manning is Manning, I never said he HAD to have a coach to make him, but if you want to get technical, has he and Eli not had a coach with them their whole entire life? 
nerd.gif

Coaches and QB's certainly can go hand in hand.  Cowher was a solid coach for years, great team system, but his QB's were Kordell Stewart and Neil O-Donnell.  Of course Ben is gonna help that out a lil bit.  And it's isn't like Ben was some great QB in his second year when they won, they won despite him.  A lot like the Jets getting to the AFC title game with Sanchez. 

What I am saying with Henne is with a solid D (which we had) a good foundation of a running game (which we would have if Dan Henning was dead) a great #1 in Brandon (got that) a nice solid slot guy (Bess) decent field position keys in our kicker and punter (but we were terrible at coverage and returns) and another speed player to get some big plays/stretch a D, break a tackle, something in the 70 yarder range, Henne COULD be coached up enough to utilize all of that. 
You don't think Josh McDaniels as an OC workin with Henne could have improved that guy?  Look what he did with Kyle Orton.  Casell.  Brady.  His QB's made things happen.  Henne was taught to NEVER change a play at the line of scrimmage.  Are you @#$%^&* kidding me? 
sick.gif
  No matter how clear the mismatch (as Brandon says) he wouldn't do it, he was instructed not too.  That's ridiculous.  This ain't the 1950's.  You have to be able to adjust on the fly.

It doesn't matter who we bring in, Mallet, Luck, Pryor, Locker, whoever, if this same coaching staff is here, that QB has NO chance at success.  It is clear as day.  I don't know how anybody can think otherwise.  If you bring in a legit OC or QB coach, one or the other, or both, hell, even a Gruden would work for the position, and Henne still can't get it done from there, THEN you can put it all on Henne.  I would have no problem with that.  But I find it extremely difficult to believe that a kid can start from day 1 as a true freshman at the Univeristy of Michigan, play for 4 years, then come to the NFL and can't get it done, when a guy like Casell can hold a clip board in college for 4 years, and then come into the NFL and play at a high level for TWO teams, and that doesn't have at least something to do with the coaching around both players.  There's no way that's possible. 

Henne is gonna be in his 3rd year.  He has played great in games his first year, he has played terrible in games his second, he's gone back and forth.  New coach, he can't get it done, by all means, you can cut your losses.  But to rid yourselves of him now and go after a rookie QB, when do we expect results then?  Another 2-3-4 years?  While the rest of that team gets older and older?  That don't sound like a great plan to me. 
30t6p3b.gif

AlbertBreer Albert Breer

Source says that Miami Dolphins have turned up the heat & are making a "huge push" for Harbaugh, with owner Stephen Ross in Cali to recruit.

mortreport Chris Mortensen

Filed to ESPN: Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled west to make an urgent pitch to Jim Harbaugh to become their next coach

[h1]Sources: Dolphins to visit Jim Harbaugh[/h1]
Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled to the West Coast in an urgent effort to convince Stanford's Jim Harbaugh to become his next coach, according to two sources.

Ross was accompanied by general manager Jeff Ireland and former NFL executive Carl Peterson to make the pitch to Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as the team's head coach, the sources said. Ross is willing to make Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in the NFL, which would place his salary in the $7-to-$8-million range, the sources said, after receiving a signal from the Stanford coach that he was now willing to listen seriously to the team's presentation.

The Dolphins still would need to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule that requires teams to interview minority candidates before hiring a new coach. Sparano also has not been fired yet.

"I have been aware of their dialogue with Harbaugh but I know they have not interviewed any minority candidates and as [Steelers owner] Dan Rooney told me this week on all these teams, we're going to hold their feet to the fire," said John Wooten of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that works closely with the NFL on the interview process involving coaches and front office executives.

Harbaugh met earlier Wednesday for five hours with 49ers team president Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke, a source said.

A Dolphins spokesman said he had no knowledge of any meeting between the team and Harbaugh. Ross was not available for comment and Ireland did not return a specific message. Harbaugh's voicemail box was full and he did not return a text message.

Peterson has been a conduit for Ross stemming from their close personal relationship. It was Peterson who reached out to former Steelers coach Bill Cowher through an intermediary to gauge Cowher's interest in the job. A source confirmed a report that Cowher was interested but only if he could have total control of the football operation and pick his own general manager. Ross intends to retain Ireland as the general manager, whether or not Sparano is fired, sources said.

Peterson was the Chiefs general manager when Cowher was defensive coordinator under Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City.

Initially, sources said Harbaugh was cool to Peterson's approach on behalf of the Dolphins and Ross. But the Stanford coach's interest grew warmer in the 48 hours after his Cardinal soundly defeated Virginia Tech with Ross among the spectators at Dolphins Stadium, sources said. Wooten said he also was told that Harbaugh was not very receptive to the Dolphins' initial approach.

Furthermore, Ross had dialogue with University of Michigan officials to ensure that he would not be competing for Harbaugh's services with his alma mater, sources said. Ross, who is one of Michigan's largest benefactors, was assured by a Michigan official that Harbaugh was not reciprocating interest in the college's now-vacant head coaching position.

Chris Mortensen

AlbertBreer Albert Breer

Source says that Miami Dolphins have turned up the heat & are making a "huge push" for Harbaugh, with owner Stephen Ross in Cali to recruit.

mortreport Chris Mortensen

Filed to ESPN: Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled west to make an urgent pitch to Jim Harbaugh to become their next coach

[h1]Sources: Dolphins to visit Jim Harbaugh[/h1]
Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled to the West Coast in an urgent effort to convince Stanford's Jim Harbaugh to become his next coach, according to two sources.

Ross was accompanied by general manager Jeff Ireland and former NFL executive Carl Peterson to make the pitch to Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as the team's head coach, the sources said. Ross is willing to make Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in the NFL, which would place his salary in the $7-to-$8-million range, the sources said, after receiving a signal from the Stanford coach that he was now willing to listen seriously to the team's presentation.

The Dolphins still would need to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule that requires teams to interview minority candidates before hiring a new coach. Sparano also has not been fired yet.

"I have been aware of their dialogue with Harbaugh but I know they have not interviewed any minority candidates and as [Steelers owner] Dan Rooney told me this week on all these teams, we're going to hold their feet to the fire," said John Wooten of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that works closely with the NFL on the interview process involving coaches and front office executives.

Harbaugh met earlier Wednesday for five hours with 49ers team president Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke, a source said.

A Dolphins spokesman said he had no knowledge of any meeting between the team and Harbaugh. Ross was not available for comment and Ireland did not return a specific message. Harbaugh's voicemail box was full and he did not return a text message.

Peterson has been a conduit for Ross stemming from their close personal relationship. It was Peterson who reached out to former Steelers coach Bill Cowher through an intermediary to gauge Cowher's interest in the job. A source confirmed a report that Cowher was interested but only if he could have total control of the football operation and pick his own general manager. Ross intends to retain Ireland as the general manager, whether or not Sparano is fired, sources said.

Peterson was the Chiefs general manager when Cowher was defensive coordinator under Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City.

Initially, sources said Harbaugh was cool to Peterson's approach on behalf of the Dolphins and Ross. But the Stanford coach's interest grew warmer in the 48 hours after his Cardinal soundly defeated Virginia Tech with Ross among the spectators at Dolphins Stadium, sources said. Wooten said he also was told that Harbaugh was not very receptive to the Dolphins' initial approach.

Furthermore, Ross had dialogue with University of Michigan officials to ensure that he would not be competing for Harbaugh's services with his alma mater, sources said. Ross, who is one of Michigan's largest benefactors, was assured by a Michigan official that Harbaugh was not reciprocating interest in the college's now-vacant head coaching position.

Chris Mortensen

30t6p3b.gif

Saban ... Parcells ... and now this.

Edit* Im mad at the 8 million the fins are ready to give.

30t6p3b.gif

Saban ... Parcells ... and now this.

Edit* Im mad at the 8 million the fins are ready to give.

So are we out of the running for Cowher? I thought we were his top choice if he were to come back.

So are we out of the running for Cowher? I thought we were his top choice if he were to come back.

Highest paid in the league? 
ohwell.gif

He could work with a QB though, that's a plus. 

But I've also heard that if he chose San Fran, he wouldn't have to move and he would have a few extra draft picks at his disposal as well. 

Highest paid in the league? 
ohwell.gif

He could work with a QB though, that's a plus. 

But I've also heard that if he chose San Fran, he wouldn't have to move and he would have a few extra draft picks at his disposal as well. 

RT @EthanJSkolnick:..holding PC for Marino & Spielman w/o telling their roles, passing on Tomlin bc an exec thought he was too "hip hop."..

30t6p3b.gif

Not hiring the black man cus he had a well groomed beard and edge up

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and then having losing records while he makes playoff after playoff and wins a superbowl
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

RT @EthanJSkolnick:..holding PC for Marino & Spielman w/o telling their roles, passing on Tomlin bc an exec thought he was too "hip hop."..

30t6p3b.gif

Not hiring the black man cus he had a well groomed beard and edge up

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and then having losing records while he makes playoff after playoff and wins a superbowl
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The thing I dont like is they're leaving Sparano (who is a good guy & who I think is a good coach) hanging while this is going on. If you're gonna fire him, DO IT ALREADY!

The thing I dont like is they're leaving Sparano (who is a good guy & who I think is a good coach) hanging while this is going on. If you're gonna fire him, DO IT ALREADY!

I think they ARE doing the right thing.

Here's why: 1. Coaches do this ALL the time to teams and schools but it's never an issue. Just because it's relevant, Harbaugh has Not told standford "hey, im gonna head to the NFL. Thanks." (which all believe he will leave. if he doesnt, then see any other close example since the beginning of coaching) Coaches leave teams all the time to interview and do things, but when its reversed a team does interviews while someone is there it's bad business. No it's not. If it were bad business then no one would take the job (see Oakland any year before or after gruden). 2. If ross doesnt get the man he wants then sporano is still there and they will get the best Offensive coordinator.

I see nothing wrong with this.

on the topic of Harbaugh.... having him be the highest paid coach in the league... I really dont see it. yes stanford is close to impossible to recruit and compete with because of their restrictions. they wont and dont have the best athletes. but he was able to turn it around. but lets not kid ourselves... toby and luck had a HUGE deal to do with all of that. I hope if he comes in that all the hype is worth it. because he (or whomever) have work to do offensively. O-Coord Hiring, FA and the Draft are gonna come fast.

Back
Top Bottom