Makin it rain... a tax write off ??

Rapper Jim Jones is figuring out how to deal with Uncle Sam next month, and he's considering deducting expenses on his income tax for making it rain.  Well guess what, in theory he might have a fighting chance of winning.
Jones is not alone.  Bizzy Bone says, "I'm giving charity to females who need their light bills paid.  So, of course, that's a write-off.  You write off your kids, don't you?"
The Game says ... making it rain "is good for business and promotion that comes with the lifestyle of a rapper.  They bump our music in a strip club, so me giving the girls a little bit of change to shake their *** -- that comes with the business.  Everybody wins."
Daz Dillinger tells us, "Hell yeah.  I'm going to see about getting my taxes fixed as soon as possible."
And Lil' Flip tells says he's actually done it ... deducted making-it-rain expenses from his taxes.
So here's the deal ... There are 2 possible ways a rapper could justify deducting strip club tips as a business expense:
1.  ENTERTAINMENT EXPENSES. These costs could be deducted if the rapper is entertaining a client, customer or employee and the expense is not "lavish or extravagant." So it might be hard for Drake to justify dropping 50K in a club, but another rapper who lets a grand fly would have a much better argument.
2.  ADVERTISING OR PUBLICITY. These expenses could be deducted if they are "reasonable ... and are directly related to [the rapper's] business." Funny thing ... a lot of rappers say making it rain is something they have to do to build their image so people will buy their records, so as crazy as it sounds, they may have a leg to stand on.
But there's another problem -- those pesky receipts. Strippers don't typically take a time-out to pull a receipt out of their G-string.

They gotta show receipts tho...

Lol all these rappers they asked don't know ish about their finances and will be broke, if they aren't in extreme debt already...

Gotta keep up the fake stuntin image

Last edited:
But there's another problem -- those pesky receipts. Strippers don't typically take a time-out to pull a receipt out of their G-string.
Here's the kryptonite in their whole plan. You must be able to prove an expense and if you're paying with cash, there's no paper trail.

If you're going to take a charitable deduction, it must be a certified 501(c)(3), so unless the strippers are certified there too (and give a receipt) then they're going to be joining Wesley Snipes.

Here's the kryptonite in their whole plan. You must be able to prove an expense and if you're paying with cash, there's no paper trail.

If you're going to take a charitable deduction, it must be a certified 501(c)(3), so unless the strippers are certified there too (and give a receipt) then they're going to be joining Wesley Snipes.

Cant you get a receipt for cashing out? I'm sure if you're spending, the owner will write something up.

Cant you get a receipt for cashing out? I'm sure if you're spending, the owner will write something up.

Yup. Just tell the owner of the club to run your credit card on the bottles, gratuity and the cash advance to make it 'rain.' That's your receipt right there!

I think it's a brilliant plan!

This sounds like the guy who tried to claim his chains as a business expense because he needed them to keep his reputation. The IRS didn't like that one too much either.

This sounds like the guy who tried to claim his chains as a business expense because he needed them to keep his reputation. The IRS didn't like that one too much either.
but old white men can write off tricking off in Columbia for a "business trip"

I think if they can get receipts ... its a go..

I gotta agree.

They go to Vegas for a conference, and are able to write off the hotel/travel/meal/conference costs. Hell some of the seminars are specifically at tourist destinations like in Hawaii just for this purpose.

Also suites at sporting events, playing at golf resorts, meals at 5 star restaurants.. all of that are deductions. I don't see how going to a strip club and throwing money at strippers can't be considered a valid deductible business expense for advertising, promotion and/or entertainment expenses as long as they satisfy all the rules.

Per IRS Publication 463

What Are Adequate Records?

You should keep the proof you need in an account book, diary, log, statement of expense, trip sheets, or similar record. You should also keep documentary evidence that, together with your record, will support each element of an expense.

Documentary evidence. You generally must have documentary evidence, such as receipts, canceled checks, or bills, to support your expenses.

A strip club is a whole lot diffferent than a conference. Conferences have agendas. As long as they do a business presentation at the club with meeting notes they ok. Also just cause some people deduct things they shouldnt does not mean it is legal, they just didnt get caught

Strip clubs should offer "Make it rain kits" and there you have proof
nthat.gif

A strip club is a whole lot diffferent than a conference. Conferences have agendas. As long as they do a business presentation at the club with meeting notes they ok. Also just cause some people deduct things they shouldnt does not mean it is legal, they just didnt get caught

Theres an agenda at a strip club.

Plus, making it rain is promotion for the rapper(I know you've encountered the "..but he gettin money doe" types) and its promotion for the club(people come to see the rappers trick off).

How come we threw race in here?

Moral argument aside, there's a difference between a business conference where you're learning something to better your business, and getting your jollies. Maybe there's a corporate tax expert in here, but I don't think you can just drive somewhere to socialize and write it off as a business expense.

but why can't rappers have an agenda?

Throwing money should equate to promoting their image, marketing...

Old white men taking potential clients out because they want them to invest in their new bank...

They hit up strip clubs, go to happy ending spots, eat lavishly ... and write it off...

They're trying to promote an image that the client would buy into.

Rappers promote an image that would promote potential investors (buyers of albums)

y do these rappers need to write off makin it rain on their taxes if they are ballin?

im broke so this makes me mad lol

he should write off making it rain as charitable donations and he should have wrote off his chains as a uniform expense :lol:

Back
Top Bottom