LOCK THIS UP. GO TO SEASON THREAD!

Of course we'll regress some. There's absolutely positives within continuity. Hell look what Alex Smith was finally able to manage once he had everything steady around him.

That being said, the key variables are:

1) Veteran coach versus a rookie head coach. Though some of that can be mitigated with the assistants put around them, look at Brooklyn for example.
There will be upside to anyone we hire. I won't focus on wins loss talk in May, so many other things will play a part..what free agents/trades happen between now and the schedule dropping?

2) Our team is pretty much set when you look at the contracts on the books, therefore, whomever gets the job should be a good fit knowing the team will remain largely intact.

He did, but he ultimately overruled them because he figures he has a professional enough team who will play for whatever new coach is instilled because collectively everyone wants to win.

The issue this creates though is the free agency and our ability to sign players (our own). That's what I'm most concerned about.

I hope you all can get a solid coach. After all the progress he brought, it is a shame for it to end this way.

One team's trash is another team's treasure I guess......

http://www.chatsports.com/los-angeles-lakers/a/Lakers-Coaching-Target-Mark-Jackson-10-68-3382

If the Golden State Warriors decide to part ways with Mark Jackson after the 2014 NBA Playoffs, you better believe that Jackson will find himself as a Lakers coaching target in their search for Mike D’Antoni’s replacement. While garnering critics for perceived underachievement by the 2013-14 Warriors, Jackson has ushered in a majorly positive cultural shift both inside the franchise and from a fan interest standpoint.

Accomplishments:

Aside from his days as “Action” Mark Jackson, dishing out dimes left and right (4th all-time with 10,334 assists), Jackson’s resume’ is in its infancy as an NBA head coach. After a dismal 23-43 record during the last year of the Monta-Ball era of Warriors basketball in 2011-12, Jackson has led the Warriors to back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since 1990-91 and 1991-92.

Jackson’s 51 regular-season wins in 2013-14 marks the Warriors’ highest win total in 22 years.

Coaching Style:

In a far cry from the pinball numbers racked up in both points-for and points-against by a coach such as Warriors legend Don Nelson, Mark Jackson is a defense-first head coach who uses his past life as an NBA star to reach players on their level — rather than using the bullying approach which soured him on then-New York Knicks interim head coach John MacLeod some 23 years ago (per Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports) :

To understand Jackson’s coaching style, you have to go back (to) when he caused a stir in New York after publicly criticizing then-Knicks interim coach John MacLeod, who relegated him to backup with limited minutes behind veteran Maurice Cheeks. In response, Jackson said that MacLeod and then- general manager Al Bianchi “pointed their finger at my chest, cussed me out and disrespected me” while he stretched with teammates before a practice.

For better or for worse, Jackson is a friend to his players off the court — cultivating an “us against the world” mentality which bleeds into his defense-to-offense philosophy in such a way that you are just as likely to see a Warriors player scream after a well-executed defensive stop as after a highlight reel dunk.

Jackson is also a huge proponent of the 1-5 pick and roll, opening attack lanes to the basket while freeing up shooters in the corners. Other than that, its isolation, isolation, and more isolation — a philosophy which has earned him as much ire as praise from the powers than be which surround him.

How He’d Fix The Lakers:

Defense, defense, defense…sprinkled with belief, belief, belief. Kobe would respect Jackson for his time served as an NBA player along with his players-first mentality — which could act as a way of keeping Kobe very happy in his role as a floor general and locker room leader.

Rather than looking to win every game by a 120-114 count, the Los Angeles Lakers personnel on staff would have to learn the increased of points-denied turned into points-for, making sure to run back into every defensive set. That, or the Lakers would be doing a ton via the draft and free agency.

Also, Kobe will get close to 20-25 isolation looks a game, which he won’t complain about.

If Jim Buss is to hire (a recently-fired) Mark Jackson, it will most likely be will be due to Jackson’s role in the growth process of guards such as Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson — perhaps hoping that some version of that magic will strike twice with a guy like Kendall Marshall or (perhaps) Jodie Meeks.

Last edited:
What is curry going to do? He's under contract for another three seasons...

Winning solves everything - period.

Which is why, as hard as it is, I must reserve judgement until next season. Upper mngment better have something up there sleeve.

Anyone have any idea of possible head coaches available?

I mean do you want locker room unrest though? With your best player? The best guard in the league? Who you would hope to keep in a Warriors jersey forever? I agree winning solves it all, so if he doesnt have something planned and did this out of spite then :smh: :smh: :smh:

Which is why, as hard as it is, I must reserve judgement until next season. Upper mngment better have something up there sleeve.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...by-kerr-hoiberg-stan-van-gundy-and-thibodeau/
Steve Kerr.  Fred Hoiberg.  Kevin Ollie.  Stan Van Gundy.  Tom Thibodeau.

No experience.  No experience.  No experience.  *** hole coach that players hate.  Not available. 

Solid list. 
laugh.gif

Anyone else wanna see our FO take a chance on Kevin Ollie? :nerd:

Current NBA players have said nothing but good things about him.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...by-kerr-hoiberg-stan-van-gundy-and-thibodeau/
Steve Kerr.  Fred Hoiberg.  Kevin Ollie.  Stan Van Gundy.  Tom Thibodeau.

No experience.  No experience.  No experience.  *** hole coach that players hate.  Not available. 

Solid list. 
laugh.gif
In all fairness Mark Jackson had none either, but I get where youre coming from. You want experienced coaches for a team thats primed to be one of the top teams in the conference.

^or some experienced assts
look at a guy like avery. he had guys like westphal, del harris, pj carlsimo

Not surprising but didn't think they would actually do it.

The good news to all this: The Warriors coaching job might be one of the best available out there, and there are going to be some really, really good coaches interested in the spot. If Lacob can find the right guy, this won't be a bad move. This is a tough decision, and I think we probably need to reserve judgment until next year.

Mark Jackson to the Lakers makes sense on all levels.

^i think lacob already has his guy

what nellie up to? lol

Last edited:
Not surprising but didn't think they would actually do it.

The good news to all this: The Warriors coaching job might be one of the best available out there, and there are going to be some really, really good coaches interested in the spot. If Lacob can find the right guy, this won't be a bad move. This is a tough decision, and I think we probably need to reserve judgment until next year.

Mark Jackson to the Lakers makes sense on all levels.
Just curious.....who do you view as a "really good coach" that could be interested. 

@dland24 Yeah, Hornacek did a terrible job, as did Jason Kidd. You're right, we should never look to uncover the next great coach who isn't too far removed from the game.

Fact of the matter is, we're not as young of a team anymore, so needing a veteran head coach isn't as important as it once was. Someone who can work with our talent and put us in a better position to execute is far more important. A rookie head coach with pedigree who gets his players to buy in (without the mantra) will do us wonders in the long term.

Jackson didn't have the long-term ability, I feel. Yes, his players liked him but were tehy for the right reasons? Who wouldn't like a coach who didn't have is the film room or practicing all the time...hmm?

Willing to bet most people hate on SVG because of Dwight and what he made out of that franchise than solely SVG.

Back
Top Bottom