LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

Originally Posted by RoOk

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Never again, Boise State.

I've always taken up your cause when power-conference teams have ducked you Smurf-Turf titans. Not anymore. Not since you began acting just like the snobs who have looked down their facemasks at the Broncos for years. Thanks to this Idaho flap, you've forfeited your right to ever complain about any program that -- due to fear, multinational conspiracy or a plain old lack of respect -- declines to schedule you.

You joined the Mountain West, Broncos, not the Skull and Bones. You're not too good to play Idaho, the in-state rival you've faced every year since 1971. You're certainly not too good to face the Vandals in Moscow (unofficial motto: It could be worse. You could be in Pullman.)

What would you hook-and-lateral lovers say if the chancellor of Nebraska or some other power-conference school said he wouldn't send his team and fans to Boise because he had an aversion to potential losses, tiny stadiums, miniscule television markets and comically colored playing surfaces? Oh, wait. That's what most of the power-conference schools do say. And you go crazy. You cry foul. You hold it up as another case of the man keeping the little guy down.

So how do you think Vandals fans felt this week when your president, Robert Kustra, described an away game in Moscow to the editorial board of the Idaho Statesman this week? "It's a culture that is nasty, inebriated and civilly doesn't give our fans the respect that any fan should expect when visiting an away team," Kustra said, according to the paper.

(I'll pause here to allow you to consider whether Kustra prefers to watch his games with a glass of chardonnay and a block of gruyere or a bottle of pinot noir and a wheel of brie.)

You Broncos claim to want to play big-time opponents. Then use the Vandals to practice for the inebriated, less-than-civil fans you'll see at better stadiums across the country. Heck, Kustra described 11 of the 12 fan bases in the SEC. In fact, most SEC players don't consider their careers complete unless their bus nearly gets overturned in Baton Rouge or someone flings bodily fluid at their coach's wife in Gainesville.

If you don't want to deal with drunk fans, then you'll have to schedule BYU 12 times a year. Unfortunately, Mountain West bylaws only allow you to play the Cougars once every regular season. So that's not an option.

Kustra explained his attack by pointing to a column that ran in The Argonaut, Idaho's student paper, titled, "Why do we hate?" Though the column was relatively tame, Kustra said it further reinforced his belief that Vandals fans have no respect for Broncos fans. He also said he couldn't tolerate the denigration of his school's academic programs by those ivory-tower elitists at the Harvard of the Palouse.

Thank goodness Kustra isn't president at Florida State. He'd probably try to cancel the Florida game. Or at Clemson, where he'd probably try to cancel the South Carolina series.

In fairness, Kustra did spend most of his career in Illinois politics and has never served at a university in a big-time football conference. So it's no surprise that he fails to understand that part of the joy of a rivalry is poking fun at the academic reputation of a rival. Clearly, he's never heard this old joke:

Q: Why do people go to [insert agricultural or similarly secondary state institution]?

A: Because they couldn't get into [insert flagship university].

Or maybe Kustra's protests are a smokescreen for the real reason you Broncos don't want to play the Vandals. Elsewhere in his comments to the Statesman board, Kustra gave another reason why he backed Boise State coach Chris Petersen's decision to discontinue the series. This one sounded a lot less whiny and a lot more like the ones we've heard from the schools that routinely flee from potential games against the Broncos.

"I guess [Idaho] coach [Robb] Akey would argue that if he upsets Boise State, then that's a really big deal, but why is that to Boise State's advantage?" Kustra told the Statesman.

It may only be coincidence, but these comments came after Akey led the Vandals to their best season since 1998. Boise State fans should remember 1998. It's the last season the Vandals beat the Broncos, and it capped a period in which Idaho went 15-2 against Boise State. Are the Broncos afraid Akey is building a competitive program in Moscow? Judging by last season's 63-25 margin, that's unlikely, so what's the harm in keeping an in-state rivalry alive?

Could it be that you Broncos, who now have one of the nation's best programs, have turned into the same kind of snobs you used to despise? It's quite a bit different when the cleat is on the other foot, isn't it?

So enjoy the hard-won spoils of your program's rise, Boise State. Go ahead and cancel the Idaho series after this season if you feel it suits your needs. But if you do, don't start whining when teams from richer conferences refuse to schedule you. We don't want to hear it.

You Broncos aren't scrappy underdogs anymore. You're now the man.

And you're trying to keep the little guy down.

Yeah...he's mad.

This guy is losing his marbles over this debacle. As a former BSU student and regular attendee of the games in Moscow and numerous Apple Cup's and Cat/Griz (Montana/Montana St) games I can attest that our rivalry is no worse than any other schools. Hell, I've yelled obscenities and other choice things at Vandal fans when the game is in Boise.

I am a proponent of playing Idaho every year. The game was 63-25 last year and we've won 11 in a row. It's not a rivalry it's a schalacking and gives me another year of verbal jabs to throw at Vandal kids.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Him and his dad stopped by on the way to FSU to see Urban. He'll be a Gator, don't worry.
I know you're usually dead on w/ your info, so I just wanted to check again. This 100% happened, right?

Aaron Lynch is gonna commit to ND tomorrow.

#1. Will he have the grades, come NSD?
#2. Will he stick?

'93 FSU vs UF on espn classic right now
Challlie Ward, Warrick Dunn, Derick Brooks
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

ward.jpg

Damn those Air Veers looked good on the football field!

Wilder didnt make the trip to Athens Ga...

could be a done deal.

Plant's coach has presser planned in a week for Ely & Pasada...

Wilder might have one in a couple weeks

^ ND got his Lynch's mom locked up SMH. They played their hand well.

Chris Rainey supposedly has been selling UF jerseys and merchandise to memorabilia businesses.

IF true, lets see what comes of it.

laugh.gif
Rainey stay with the memoribilia....

wasnt he suspended for State semi finals for gettin gear & things from a store?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
Rainey stay with the memoribilia....

wasnt he suspended for State semi finals for gettin gear & things from a store?
"And I'm like Damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey..."
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

so Bryce Brown text msg'd CDD and asked for his release
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Coach told him $%$@$ hahahahaha

pay ur own way Vagina!

Does Clemson still lead for Tony Steward?

Last weekend, Menendez (Fla.) linebacker Tony Steward had to answer the same question over and over throughout the Gridiron Kings event. Are the Clemson Tigers still your leader? He never wavered and stated the Tigers still held the edge for his services. However, just a few days ago, he visited his childhood favorite team - Florida State. So after his trip to Tallahassee, are the Tigers still the team to beat or is there some competition at the top? Steward spoke with FlaVarsity about his three day visit to FSU and whether or not an early decision is coming soon.

[table][tr][td]
964907.jpg
[/td][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Does Menendez LB Tony Steward have a new leader?[/td][/tr][/table]Heading into the Gridiron Kings event in Orlando last weekend, Tony Steward stated that the Clemson Tiger campus felt like home, he loved the coaches, and he just felt very comfortable with the atmosphere that surrounded the Tiger program. Following his visit, Steward surprised many when he named Clemson has his clear leader.

But the biggest test would be how Steward felt after another visit to biggest competition for the Tigers in childhood favorite Florida State. So what did he think about his trip to FSU?

"I had a lot of fun. It was pretty incredible just getting to see everything around campus again. I don't think there were too many things that I haven't seen at FSU, but the biggest thing I noticed how the program has changed since Jimbo Fisher took over. There was a lot more energy and passion around there than the last time I visited," Steward told FlaVarsity.com.

Throughout the past two and a half days, Steward got a chance to speak with all the coaches, which included assistant coach Odell Haggins and defensive coordinator Mark Stoops. In addition, Steward also got a chance to meet with a lot of the incoming freshman.

"Coach Haggins was the main one I was with most of the time because he recruits my area. I also got a chance to talk with Coach Hudson the linebackers coach. The main thing we talked about was how I would fit into their system and really just how bad they want me in their defense. I had a lot of fun hanging out with the players. I would say I probably hung out with Greg Reid and Jarmon Forston the most. The players didn't really go into detail about the program and we talked about stuff outside of football. It was pretty relaxing."

Lastly, Steward was given a campus tour and had a personal meeting with new head coach Jimbo Fisher.

"The coaches showed me everything around campus. I saw the facilities, the weight room and stadium. I also got to speak with Coach Fisher. What I liked about him is that he is very easy to talk and laid back. There are times where he shows the energy and excitement, but it was just a comfortable setting anytime I speak with him."

After the two or three days in Tallahassee, how much did the visit benefit the Seminoles or are the Clemson Tigers?

"Right now, I would have both FSU/Clemson tied at the top spot. I think what really put me back of having both on top is that FSU showed me they can offer a lot both academically and on the football field but not have to leave the state of Florida to do it. I grew up an FSU fan, but when it comes to my decision that won't play a factor. I'm going to choose the school that I feel solid in my heart that this is the place for me so that's really a few areas I've focused on. It's tough because you have two great programs like Clemson and FSU, but I'm pretty confident I won't have a problem making the right decision."

With the two ACC teams tied for the lead, what's next on the agenda? Will there will be an early decision or does he plan on taking his recruitment all the way into late January?

"I want to take my official visits, so the decision will be near signing day or on signing day. I want to know in my heart the best place, so I want to have a lot of different things to compare each school to. Taking all my visits leaves no doubt of my final decision."

I always thought UF til now.

I think he's feeling FSU right now but it could be a passing phase.

rite now, I favor UF but we'll see if he's buying Urban letting him play RB

AI,

You heard anything about Jalen Brown committing to the Irish as well?

Last I heard he was a Texas Tech lean, and didn't plan on committing any time soon, but Irish fans on Rivals are saying that he committed. Pretty strange considering he was planning on taking his official visits, and has never visited Notre Dame as far as I know.

Watching that old Ole Miss/LSU game from last season.

I'll be the first to admit that McCluster became a SERIOUS problem once he started to hold onto the rock. I remember I used to bring up about his fumbling tendencies, but he really showed out last year

And about Jevan Snead... it was ALL his head & he missed Michael Oher big time.

are there any Illinois fans on NT? Im curious about Zook and what their doing, *and I dont have a rivals sub. anymore...*

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

are there any Illinois fans on NT? Im curious about Zook and what their doing, *and I dont have a rivals sub. anymore...*
You gotta think the Zooker's on the hot seat, right? It's not like he hasn't been getting talent. Hell...he got a few players that Ohio State was going after hard. Sounds like much of the same that was happening at Florida...no problem getting the talent...just can't coach.

Back
Top Bottom