LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

the only way more names come out is if somebody starts snitching to save his own $$*.

15i0w1t.jpg

I know it's just offseason 7-on-7, but wow...

July 22, 2010[h3]College Football: Bobcats lock in during 7-on-7 with UT[/h3]
By Tyler MayforthDaily Record Sports
Austin — Texas State quarterback Tim Hawkins acted like an old-school telephone operator Wednesday afternoon.

Between Hawkins’ own teammates calling him wondering if theirrescheduled 7-on-7 workout was still on with the 2009 BCS NationalChampionship Game runner-up Texas Longhorns and their opponents askingthe same question, the redshirt sophomore fielded close to 30 calls inthe span of an hour.

“It was insane,

Originally Posted by DLo13

Supposedly the UGA inquiry is not related to any agents, but rather there was a reporter from one of the recruiting sites on campus last week who took a picture of a recruit (DeBell, probably) and a coach together, which is another of those silly rules. Not a major thing...

Barnhart says there's more names to come with this agent thing, tho...
nerd.gif
DLo, I heard about that picture...I just wonder why they'd need to send anyone to campus to investigate a picture.  That should be a slap on the wrist secondary violation, possible ending of a school's recruiting of a student-athlete at most but that's even a bit much, so it doesn't add up.

I believe that Green wasn't involved but it just seems like there'd be more to it than just a pic.  It's not even wishful thinking because I don't want to see Clemson caught up in all this too, though I wouldn't be surprised.  It happens everywhere and if there's someone out there giving details, the NCAA could be looking into as much dirt as they feel is legit.  Who knows though.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Yooooooooooooo Bobby Bowden is back in football, and his name is Robbie Caldwell. I'm sold on him being a coach. STRAIGHT country. Best presser ever.

roll.gif
They gave him a standing ovation. First coach to ever get one

This man said his first job was insemenating turkeys
roll.gif
I don't care if we win a game, I just want to watch/listen all his interviews
laugh.gif
Pat Forde was raving about this guy on his Twitter page today.
laugh.gif

As talk of one South Beach party dominated Southeastern Conference media days, details of another party surfaced on Thursday.

A party at Club Liv in the Fontainebleau hotel toward the end of May has been the subject of investigations by the NCAA and several schools, including defending national champion Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said tight end Weslye Saunders told him he did nothing wrong during his trip to South Beach; Georgia receiver A.J. Green insisted he's never even been to Miami.

That was before the Sports Business Journal reported later Thursday that many college football players attended a party hosted by San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore May 15. The NCAA is also investigating whether agents, financial advisers or runners paid for that trip as well. Sources told the publication that players attended that pool party and another party later that Saturday night at the South Beach nightclub Cameo.

"I don't even know those guys. There were a lot of people there; it was crazy," Gore said, according to the Sports Business Journal.

"I paid for my own party," Gore said, adding that no agent or financial adviser contributed.

The SBJ reported that a photo on Twitter dated May 15 purportedly shows Austin and North Carolina wide receiver Greg Little at a pool party.

As for the party at the end of May Spurrier said Thursday that Saunders "went with several players on a trip to Miami. I guess the question is, who paid for it? Who paid for what they did while they were there? When the investigation is finished, I guess we'll find out about all the guys.

"I've talked to him briefly. He told me he's done nothing wrong. We'll let it play out," Spurrier said.

Green, coach Mark Richt and the other Georgia players were under NCAA instructions not to comment on the investigation, which was disclosed Wednesday evening.

Green, the Bulldogs' star receiver, told reporters at the media gathering that he hadn't been to Miami -- ever.

Beyond that, he said: "It's not my place to comment on it, and I don't feel I need to."

Richt told reporters of investigators that "we'll see what they gather." SEC officials twice warned that Georgia representatives wouldn't talk about the probe.

Alabama is looking into Marcell Dareus' trip to a party around the time of his mother's death on May 18. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban, the former Miami Dolphins coach who Wednesday compared the actions of unscrupulous agents to the behavior of a pimp, wants the NFL and the NFL Players Association to punish rogue agents with suspensions.

Spurrier, who coached the NFL's Washington ********, was more subdued when asked if he agreed with that.

"I think they ought to be a little bit more active and help out in that regard," he said. "As coaches we do all we can to tell our guys the rules -- you can't accept anything from boosters, agents or whoever. But it's hard to watch them all the time.

"It's a little bit of a difficult situation, but sometimes you've just got to trust your players to know the rules and wait until after their final game before they take the money. If you can get through your senior year .... you can accept all the dough they want to give you. But you have to wait until your eligibility is over. That's what we all try to teach our guys," he said.

Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, a former Atlanta Falcons coach, said it was "wishful thinking" that the players association and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can solve the problem for the college ranks.

"We have to worry about what we can control, our education, our continuing to work on the decision making, the understanding of what's right and what's wrong, not try to think that somebody else is going to handle it for us," Petrino said.

NFLPA assistant executive director George Atallah said Wednesday the group takes "violations of NFLPA rules by agents seriously and investigate them vigilantly. This situation is no different."

Meanwhile, teammates of Saunders voiced their support but shed little light on his trip.

"I really don't know what's going on except what people are reporting," Gamecocks linebacker Shaq Wilson said. "He's been working his butt off. He's been in there every day working out. He's a model student-athlete and I think he's a great person. I support him."

"We're just hoping for the best for Weslye," added fullback Patrick DiMarco. "He's in a tough situation right now."

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, a fourth-year junior who was eligible for the draft after last season, said his policy with agents is to avoid them.

"Obviously as a college athlete you've got to be aware of who you're around at all times," Mallett said. "I'm not talking to any agents at this time. If they contact me, I tell them if I'm going to go to the NFL, I'll talk to them after the season.

"That's how I'm doing it, because I don't want to have to deal with any of the stuff that's going on," he said.

Arkansas is among the SEC schools employing consultant Joe Mendes to help players and their families in dealing with agents.

North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall said her office has begun an investigation about potential misconduct involving agents and two Tar Heels.

"It's probably got to be a federal issue because it's one of those things that cross state lines," said Duke coach David Cutcliffe, a former Mississippi head coach and Tennessee assistant. "It's not a North Carolina problem, obviously, and it's rampant through the country.

"We've seen it on the West Coast raise its ugly head just recently [at Southern California], and I've been in the Southeastern Conference for a long time. You're constantly looking for those signs. You see these people hanging around outside your gate after a game. After doing it for 30 years, you start figuring out who they are. It's something you'd like to see authorities -- legal authorities -- help us where there's a problem. It's bigger than the NCAA can manage," he said.

At Georgia Tech, quarterback Josh Nesbitt said he doesn't agree with college players taking money from agents, but he can understand why some might be tempted to do it.

"Overall, I think it's a bad thing to accept money when it's not your job to play," Nesbitt said. "But you don't know everybody else's situation. Their back might be against the wall and that's their last leg. Who's to say they're wrong."

U all late.
that Champ Bailey cousin.

UGA has NOT offered. dont ask me why neither...
son is the spitting image of Blake Sims from 2010 class.

He was down to UNC UT but UNC slow played him and he hasnt visited UT yet, he bout to be backburnered esp. if Therezie says FU to Miami and puts on a death row pendant

On how things have changed going into this year:
I feel like I actually have stepped in to be a leader. Vocal leader at that. This season I actually have experience now so what I say is not coming from just out of the air because I actually have experience. You just have to take everyone in and make sure they buy into this program.
On what he and Ray Ray Armstrong have endured over the summer:
As you guys can see he's a big kid. That's what he is. He has a great attitude, willing to learn. We all just want to get better. We want to ask each other questions. Our pluses and minuses we want to work together. The best thing about Ray Ray is he's a winner and that carries on to a lot of people, he carries on and speaks out then everybody wants to listen. I can hear him and feed off of that. We just wanna go out there and compete and be like two wild animals ready to make plays and to carry this team as much as we can.

On whether he has received a nick name:
No, no. I'm still waiting though, I am still hoping.

On Jamal Reid:
J Reed is really allusive. He has that same mind frame. He always wants to learn, he's always learning and he's always asking questions. The think I like about J Reed, he's like really dynamic. He can play a lot corner, a lot of people don't realize that. He's really fast and he's really smart and he loves football, we all love football, he's a winner too. He likes to crack jokes, that's what I like about him. He's not all serious, ya know. He likes to set off the tempo and make everybody laugh and get everybody comfortable and then we go ahead and play football.

On how playing corner in the spring benefited him:
Oh man, I got to speaking to Ed Reed while I was playing corner and he was just like, “This is just going to help you understand what these corners are going through, with what help they have behind, you know that you have the safeties behind and whether you have help or not, whereas your weak and your vulnerable points.

Derek Dooley (DTwice) was pretty impressive at his presser. He openly talked about the bar brawl and quickly deflected any questions about Lane. One reporter asked him if any other SEC coaches thanked him for not being Kiffin he laughed and said "how do you answer that"

May take a couple of years but I see him being successful at UTk.

couldn't find anything on Wilder yet. hopefully he's there
nerd.gif

OL Trip Thurman and CB Louchiez Purifoy have committed to UF at FNL

rivalsmike: Rumors out there that Seantrel Henderson might not be headed to Miami after all. Stay tuned.

Friday, July 23, 2010 7:25 PM

Anybody know what's up with Stephone Anthony? We were in his top few schools awhile back but then I could have sworn he was no longer interested. Now somebody on VT messageboards said we're in his top 2? Anyone have an update on him from Scout/Rivals/your barber?

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Anybody know what's up with Stephone Anthony? We were in his top few schools awhile back but then I could have sworn he was no longer interested. Now somebody on VT messageboards said we're in his top 2? Anyone have an update on him from Scout/Rivals/your barber?
Pretty sure it's most likely Florida and then VT/Clemson.

Originally Posted by AirMaxBuckeye

rivalsmike: Rumors out there that Seantrel Henderson might not be headed to Miami after all. Stay tuned.

This guy.

Just pick a +#*$!$ school.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by AirMaxBuckeye

This guy.

Just pick a !+$#!@ school.

Na it was due to academics but Im pretty sure he's good.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Wilder Jr. was def @ the Jimbo Fisher camp today.

Did he make it to FNL?

Him and his dad stopped by on the way to FSU to see Urban. He'll be a Gator, don't worry.

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Mike Bellamy is at FNL hopefully Urban can sway him

Urban was all over him tonight. Should be interesting

Gator fans should wake up to some very good news tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom