Local NYC board backs plan to build mosque near Ground Zero

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

like it or not most people who lost loved ones in the attacks will see the mosque and be reminded of that terrible day.
Seeing the mosque won't remind anyone of 9/11 anymore than seeing Ground Zero will.

Religious freedom is part of what makes this country what it is.
i agree with you on the religious freedom part but try telling the first part to those who lost loved ones in the attacks and see what their response is. i could care less about them building a mosque there and i hope that in the long run it could help shake off the bad rap islam unfairly gets at times in the long term, but they should consider the opinion of those who lost loved ones in the attacks as well,  if the majority of them are cool with it  then go ahead with it, but if the majority of them are opposed to it then consider that as well.

Why is building a mosque an affront to those that died that day?
Why are you offended by having a mosque built by Ground Zero?

Something proactive needs to take place to counteract the rising anti-Islamic sentiment here in the US, as well as internationally.

I know when established an institution such as this will do just that.  I can only hope the proposal does more good than bad.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by 36 OUNCES

This, will not end well...
naw it wont....expect people to vandalize that joint daily.

Nobody is going to vandalize anywhere considering the massive "Police State" NYC already has. People need to chill.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Something proactive needs to take place to counteract the rising anti-Islamic sentiment here in the US, as well as internationally.
c
I know when established an institution such as this will do just that.  I can only hope the proposal does more good than bad.

That'd have to come from the Islamic community itself.  A lot of people are ignorant about the religion and its principles.  An Islmaic leader perhaps would have to go on a world tour of sorts to spread knowledge of the religion and renounce the acts of terrorists.  So far, at least from my view, this has not been done.  So the face of Islam (in America) right now, unfortunately, is terrorists.

i agree with you on the religious freedom part but try telling the first part to those who lost loved ones in the attacks and see what their response is. i could care less about them building a mosque there and i hope that in the long run it could help shake off the bad rap islam unfairly gets at times in the long term, but they should consider the opinion of those who lost loved ones in the attacks as well,  if the majority of them are cool with it  then go ahead with it, but if the majority of them are opposed to it then consider that as well.
If everyone uses their brain, there shouldn't be anything to consider. When an intelligent person sees Ground Zero, they think of 9/11. When that same person sees a mosque, they think of a Muslim.

When an ignorant person sees Ground Zero, they think of 9/11. When that same person sees a mosque, the think of a terrorist. The sooner that the American public realizes that every Muslim isn't out to kill them, the sooner things like this won't be news.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

If everyone uses their brain, there shouldn't be anything to consider. When an intelligent person sees Ground Zero, they think of 9/11. When that same person sees a mosque, they think of a Muslim.

When an ignorant person sees Ground Zero, they think of 9/11. When that same person sees a mosque, the think of a terrorist. The sooner that the American public realizes that every Muslim isn't out to kill them, the sooner things like this won't be news.

co-sign.jpg

i understand how people can see that this move could offend some relatives of the victims, but at the end of the day, that offense can only translate to pure ignorance.

sigh, oh what a world it would be if religion never existed
grin.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by HOVKid

If we had any brains we'd build these things everywhere....times square, penn station, grand central, ground zero, near the statue of liberty, etc.  Then you have no need to worry about them bombing that stuff.

agree 

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I'm not mad at the decision, its a step in the right direction towards attempting to separate Muslims/Islam from terrorism in popular view.

Word, but
36 OUNCES was like:

This, will not end well...
and I agree..
tired.gif

If we had any brains we'd build these things everywhere....times square, penn station, grand central, ground zero, near the statue of liberty, etc.  Then you have no need to worry about them bombing that stuff.
roll.gif
roll.gif

America hates Islam .... America is predominantly Christians.... Christians think they're superior to all other religons. Just another tactic to keep the wound open

An Islmaic leader perhaps would have to go on a world tour of sorts to spread knowledge of the religion and renounce the acts of terrorists
why should they have to?
you don't see Christians denouncing terroristic acts. eg George Tiller.

I was watchin the news..somebody called it a "house of evil" at the comm. board meeting
indifferent.gif

it's a goddamn church wth is that?

these idiots are slandering the islamic faith, when I could call a christian church a house of evil for the same reasons.. crusades anyone?

Why does it have to be so close to ground zero though?

Let them build it anywhere except there.

I agree, Even though i'm not Islamic

first of all the terrorist in 9/11 are not Muslim, they committed unjustified murder and suicide, once you do both those things you go straight to hell, people need 2 understand Muslims didn't do this, it was just extremists who believed they did something good.

What?

How were they not muslim?

That is like saying the thousands of catholic priests who molest little boys aren't catholic when they obviously are.

Just cause someone does something bad/wrong/evil doesn't mean you can exclude them from their chosen religion. That is not how life works my friend.

That being said i personally am all for building ANY type of temple or church anywhere at all as long as you keep it the hell away from state run/funded things like schools.

Saying that is shouldn't happen out of fear for the church itself is just weak. If everyone gave into that type of fear then there would still be no black churches in the south since 50-60 years ago they would often get fire-bombed by the klan. Luckily they had the guts to stand up for themselves and ignorance faded into the background.

Originally Posted by Man E

Why does it have to be so close to ground zero though?

Let them build it anywhere except there.
What's wrong with building it there?

I know why you feel the way that you do, but should you feel that way?

Back
Top Bottom