Living on your own

Arlington is nice but VERY expensive...so just be prepared to pay more the closer to the District or public transit you go. not uncommon to be paying 15-1600+ for a one bedroom, if money isnt an object or you dont mind living with roommates, then Arlington is a great place. 

cheaper options are on the MD side. still close enough to the District and such with a decent amount of amenities around the area. 

Also look into doing some social sports leagues. I met so many people through this but I already had a few friends living up here to make the transition easy. But the social league would definitely help if you are still a bit light on friends.
Been thinking about joining a basketball league in the spring. Let me know if you find any good leagues. :nerd:

Been thinking about joining a basketball league in the spring. Let me know if you find any good leagues. :nerd:

Haha I ref basketball in one of the leagues. Its called DC Social Sports. They have bball (among other sports) in Alexandria (near Old Town) and DC (Dupont Circle and Georgetown Law). But I am sure there are other leagues as well.

Feel free to check it out though and anyone else for that matter http://dcsocialsports.com/

Haha I ref basketball in one of the leagues. Its called DC Social Sports. They have bball (among other sports) in Alexandria (near Old Town) and DC (Dupont Circle and Georgetown Law). But I am sure there are other leagues as well.

Feel free to check it out though and anyone else for that matter http://dcsocialsports.com/
Nice. Do you know of any around the Leesburg/Sterling area?

I have 2 places here in sf.
A loft with amenities
A 1br with a balcony in a highrise. No amenities.

1 bedroom with balcony.
Just my chow chow and i.

Pay about $4k a month here at my building.
750 sq ft

My loft i pay about $3500 a month.
850sq ft

The cost of living in sf sucks.
2nd most expensive in the us next to ny.

Im ready to go to socal and live like a king for what i pay here in the bay.

what do you guys think about a single guy in his late 20's having a 1bd or 2 bd apt/condo. which one would be better?

what do you guys think about a single guy in his late 20's having a 1bd or 2 bd apt/condo. which one would be better?

Well, with a 2 bed apt you would pay more, no? If you're by yourself I'd go with the 1 bed apt, that's I'm going for and I'm 28

one bedroom should be more than enough for a single person in their late 20s... the extra room would be a waste ... 

Since there are so many NOVA heads in here, I'm looking to join Xsport fitness soon so I might was well give someone the referral points from joining. PM me your gym info if you want the referral points. I'm looking to pay around $20-30 a month there. Anyone have any tips on getting the price down from $45?

2-br means more space to keep clean that you probably will never use. If its just you then a 1 br will be fine.

Maybe go for a 1 br + den if you really want some extra space. I'm looking to upgrade for a small office. Living room feels cramped with my desk in there..

1 bedroom is better financially. With the money you save you can be working towards a house/car/vacations.

2 bedrooms if it's not that much higher in rent. You can make that extra bedroom a game room/giant tv room/ smash biddies room, etc. and you can get a roomate if you want to later down the line.

Since there are so many NOVA heads in here, I'm looking to join Xsport fitness soon so I might was well give someone the referral points from joining. PM me your gym info if you want the referral points. I'm looking to pay around $20-30 a month there. Anyone have any tips on getting the price down from $45?

I joined Golds Gym for $32 a month :smokin

Last edited:
Anybody know any good spots in Va? I need a lot of social activity and a lot of diversity.

Arlington is a great area. There are a myriad of great bars in that area. A lot of young professionals in the area. And since it is in Northern VA, you are right outside of DC.

There's mad crack heads in Richmond. Don't go there. As a matter of fact, disregard anywhere outside of NOVA. Good luck.

Naw I heard its poppin now, especially short pump area.

Calypso you rent from a private owner or complex? Looking for some private since my credit is currently shot .

I joined Golds Gym for $32 a month
smokin.gif
I was thinking about doing that too. Since they're about the same distance for me I rather go to Xsport because they have a basketball court and 24hr access. For $20 a month, I'd be down for golds tho.

So I'm looking to move out around March or so. My income after taxes comes out to $2400. My loans are in forbearance and I own my Jeep. I live in LA City. Is it recommended that I move out on my own or get roommates?

So I'm looking to move out around March or so. My income after taxes comes out to $2400. My loans are in forbearance and I own my Jeep. I live in LA City. Is it recommended that I move out on my own or get roommates?

I hear LA is expensive but I think either is doable. If you want to live by yourself, I'd look for something in the $800-$900 range.

Only get a roommate if it helps you save money you'd otherwise be spending if living on your own. If you NEED a roommate to move out then I suggest you reevaluate your decision. Stay home and save, find better pay, and/or find more affordable housing.

You can crunch all the numbers you want. You'll never know how much it truly costs until you're out there on your own. Last thing I'd want is to rely on another human being for their half of the rent. I've seen people get screwed over because of it. Not even because the person was a scumbag but life throws curveballs sometimes..

Back
Top Bottom