Law and Order cancelled after 20 seasons (Heroes cancelled also)

[h1]'Law & Order' cancelled by NBC after 20 seasons: The culprit behind NY show's demise? Low ratings[/h1]
By Richard Huff
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Friday, May 14th 2010, 1:10 PM

alg_law_order_body.jpg

NBC
Who killed 'Law & Order'? NBC is guilty! Anthony Anderson as Det. Kevin Bernard, Jeremy Sisto as Cyrus Lupo

"Law & Order" is done.

NBC officials have confirmed that the influential New York-set crime drama will air its last telecast May 24 at 10 p.m.

The decision by NBC ends the shows run at 20 seasons and in a tie with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running drama in the history of television.

"The full measure of the collective contributions made by @+%% Wolf and his 'Law & Order' franchise over the last two decades to the success of NBC and Universal Media Studios cannot be overstated," Jeff Gaspin, chairman of NBC Universal Television Entertainment said in a statement.

"The legacy of his original 'Law & Order' series will continue to make an impact like no other series before."

As part of the network's deal with Wolf, NBC has picked up "Law & Order: Los Angeles" and renewed "L&O : Special Victims Unit" for next season.

The move comes as a surprise since Wolf needed only one more season to break the long-standing "Gunsmoke" record.

"'Law & Order' has been one of the most successful franchises in the history of television, which is why it is so critical that we continue this important brand and our relationship with @+%% Wolf and his team with 'LOLA' and 'Law & Order: SVU,'" NBC Entertainment president Angela Bromstad said in a statement.

Since launching in 1990, "Law & Order" has become a fixture in the city and a home for hundreds of actors along the way.

The show, which will live on in reruns for years, is built around detectives who investigate crimes and the prosecutors who try them.

"'Law & Order' has set the standard for superior production management and seamless location shooting in the City," Katherine Oliver, commissioner of teh Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting said in a statement. "It has also served to showcase the vast array of locations found throughout the five boroughs."

Oliver said the series employs about 4,000 individuals, contributing nearly $80 million to the city's economy each season. Over the course of the series, the show has contributed more than $1.5 billion to the city, she said.

as long as ci and svu are still on im good. whyd they replace the cast on ci tho? im not a fan of jeff

the silly thing is NBC will just replace it with another police drama....they do well at that time slot and have for YEARS!!!

<---------------  > ______________________

Once she left, the show became irrelevant.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I used to hate this show when I was younger. Moms used to watch it all the time.

Then they started to come on TNT after Inside the NBA was over. One night I said %#%@ it and kept watching. Instant favorite. You really don't realize how much you can learn about the system from this %@%!.

All them other ones %#%+*++ suck. SVU/CI/CSI/Cold case etc. none of that %@%! can %#%@ with the original.

Sad day.
frown.gif

Sad day.

The problem was they changed the night of the show every season for like the past 5 years. And putting it on Friday night was a death sentence.

heard bout this yesterday....became my fav show as I got older, TNT reruns got me hooked... then I started watching the new seasons relgiously....ill keep messin with SVU but CI dropped the ball when they got rid of Goren he made that show

hate its coming to an end...Jack McCoy was that dude!!

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

I will never forgive them for this.

Yes they'll rue the day they crossed some person on the internet by canceling a long running show that'd started to become unprofitable.  The greatest crime in human history.

Back
Top Bottom