[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I love the fact that this dude is trying to troll but doesn't have any idea what he's talking about.

Do your research if you want to troll properly.

If for some reason we end up with the 5th pick and Boston offers us Rondo or Min offers us Love, should we do it?

I mean outside of embiid, Bari, wiggs, and exum is there any legit dude?

Dave McMenamin: After D'Antoni was peppered w/ Pau questions he told us media: "I have a root canal scheduled next week, doesn't seem so bad now" Twitter @mcten

:lol:

Last edited:
If for some reason we end up with the 5th pick and Boston offers us Rondo or Min offers us Love, should we do it?

I mean outside of embiid, Bari, wiggs, and exum is there any legit dude?

I don't think you make that consideration unless you are like 8th or later. Even then, you have to give it a long thought, because while it could be great, could also be catastrophic.

I have a feeling they're gonna do something stupid and trade our pick on draft night for kyrie or k love

[quote name="CP"]Know what I realize is coming? We get the 3-4-5 pick, somewhere in there, we take ___ and he bombs.

Flat out sucks. Wes Johnson all over again. Darko, Kwame, just terrible.

Know who will get blamed??????

Me.

Not Mitch, I'll be the one that gets screamed down. "Good thing we tanked CP, you dumb ************, how's that workin out for us?" :lol:

Even tho, I have no control :nerd: I will get blamed like hell, and Mitch will be scott free. :lol: :lol:

I can see it coming. It shall be glorious.

#TeamTankButWinGamesButStillTankSomehow

#TeamIHateThatIPredictedPlayoffsIn2014NowImMadAtCP[/quote] Over my dead body.

Or screen name. Over my dead s/n.

Or, not dead, but...

I WON'T LET THAT HAPPEN!! :lol: As much as you and I go back and forth, you know damn well I've backed you when people were talking sideways on you. And "See what you did, CP? >: " would be all kinds of sideways.

Just because you're a Cubs fan doesn't mean you deserve abuse. :\

I heard that Jerry West is downplaying this draft, saying that he thinks the entire class will be a bust.

I'm with The Logo. :\

BEEN saying that I don't think there are any franchise saviors, but you guys just keep throwing numbers at me and impressive games against college teams. I know, I know, college teams is obviously all they can play, but still, I don't see any franchise saviors in this class. I don't. There's no one in this class that has me thinking like "This game is just too easy for you. Go ahead and fast track to the NBA, because what you're doing right now? Too easy."

Even if the player the Lakers draft isn't a "franchise savior", if they can manage to draft a contributing role player I will be happy.

And yeah, Jerry West had success in the draft in the 80s and 90s, but he hasn't had muich success since then. I'll take his word with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Ehhhhhh, West has that old school mentality tho. The old folks hate the AAU stuff with these kids, they don't think any of them care enough, or want to be great, and so on.

Guys like Rondo, Paul George, to a lesser degree Pierce, even Steph they all weren't so incredible in college that you thought, oh this guy is going to be __. It came down to those dudes workin their ***** off. Steve Nash from Santa Clara?

Pierce was really good in college, but did anyone expect how good he was for 15 years?
Steph was an AMAZING shooter, everyone knew that, but he weighed something like 46 pounds, plenty of folks thought he might get destroyed in the NBA.
Rondo is just a dog. Just a flat out slit your throat dog. Can't tell that just off some college tape.
Who saw Nash turning into what he did?

If West sat in a closed gym with a few of them, showed them the drills that he believed they should work on, gave them time, and then they came in, he'd like plenty of them.

Will Wiggins be LeBron? I mean, come on. That's not fair from the start. But what if Wiggins could become Paul George?
If Jarbari could do what Pierce did for 15 years, that isn't worth anything?
If Embiid could have Zo Mourning's career, that's a bust?
If Exum turns into Rondo 2.0, I'm supposed to be mad at that?

Those are just comparisons, maybe they all fall short, maybe WIggins is Iggy, and Jabari is Caron Butler, or Embiid becomes Tyson Chandler. Those look like worst case, but for West to sit here in February and say the whole damn class is going to fail, get outta here Jerry. He doesn't know how pissed Wiggins might get goin 3rd and he wants to prove to everyone who he is. Or if Randle goes 6th, and he starts living in a gym, and becomes a mega star in 2 years thru absolute insane drive.

Jerry West right now reminds me of those folks that were SCREAMING about Kevin Durant can't lift 180 pounds.

I'd like those people to step forward today, and tell me about that 180 needing to be lifted.

My biggest concern with any prospect, any year, is expectation WE put on them.

I hope, and pray, people don't expect 19 year old __ to come in and win a championship in 2015 or some nonsense. It don't work like that.

But esepcially us, as Laker fans, we want that, and we want that asap.

But we all gotta be smart. And remember where we came from. Kobe took 3-4 years before he truly grew into his game. But again, did we really know, in 1996, 97, 98, how ridiculous that kid was in the gym? What a junkie he was for basketball? How hard he would work?

Maybe we get Jabari, and that kid works just as hard as Kobe.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jabari cashes that first check, and sits at home playin XBox 24/7.

No way for us, as fans, to know.

That's what separates the greats, from the specials.

Stephon Marbury had loads of talent, tons of it. He burned out in 6-7 years.

TODAY, Kobe, Nash, JO, Ray Allen, Derek Fisher are still grindin. KG, drafted a year before Marbury.

Iverson lasted longer than Marbury, but not as long as these others.

That's the job we have to do thru the draft process. We have to find the dogs. The junkies. The guys that will KILL for their games. Not just the uber talented kid that'll get bored of the game and hard work in 2-3 years and just start trollin clubs chasin panties.

We have to find the kid that slept with a basketball in his bed growin up. That even tho he's 19, can tell you how great Bill Walton was at UCLA, or what George Gervin was about in the 70's, or knows stories about Bernard King, even tho he wasn't alive when King was elite.

THAT kid, with our training, our teaching, + his desire to be great, that's what we want. That's the kid I want leading us for 10-12-15 years, God willing.

If one of those guys, can give us Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, KG, or even better, Kobe's career, we should be in good hands.

If all he turns into is a Derek Fisher, or Robert Horry, well, those guys provided a lot of traits themselves that not a lot of stars can live up to.

[quote name="CP"]I'm neither. (If you were referring to me)[/quote]Then you missed your mark. :lol:

[quote name="CP"]I'm neither. (If you were referring to me)
Then you missed your mark. :lol:[/quote]

I'm not smart enough to be either of those things.

I run inventory for parts used to build infrared cameras. Thousands of parts, millions of dollars.

I haven't lost more than 5 dollars in the past 4 years, combined. :lol:

I feel pretty sure I found somethin I'm ok at. :lol:

If you guys think CP is "passionate" about Lakers discussions you should see his rants in the Dolphins thread. :lol:

CP why you gotta go at Finns so hard all the time :rofl:

[quote name="CP"][quote name="DarthSka"][quote name="CP"]I'm neither. (If you were referring to me)[/quote]Then you missed your mark. :lol:[/quote]

I'm not smart enough to be either of those things.

I run inventory for parts used to build infrared cameras. Thousands of parts, millions of dollars.

I haven't lost more than 5 dollars in the past 4 years, combined. :lol:

I feel pretty sure I found somethin I'm ok at. :lol:[/quote]Not saying you're not good at what you currently do (>$5 lost on millions of dollars of inventory in 4 yrs = :wow: ); just saying that you would be an EXCELLENT politician or salesman.

Sometimes, your posts got me thinking you could sell a busted ketchup packet to someone wearing all white. :lol:

My biggest concern with any prospect, any year, is expectation WE put on them.

I hope, and pray, people don't expect 19 year old __ to come in and win a championship in 2015 or some nonsense. It don't work like that.

But esepcially us, as Laker fans, we want that, and we want that asap.

But we all gotta be smart. And remember where we came from. Kobe took 3-4 years before he truly grew into his game. But again, did we really know, in 1996, 97, 98, how ridiculous that kid was in the gym? What a junkie he was for basketball? How hard he would work?

Maybe we get Jabari, and that kid works just as hard as Kobe.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jabari cashes that first check, and sits at home playin XBox 24/7.

No way for us, as fans, to know.

That's what separates the greats, from the specials.

Stephon Marbury had loads of talent, tons of it. He burned out in 6-7 years.

TODAY, Kobe, Nash, JO, Ray Allen, Derek Fisher are still grindin. KG, drafted a year before Marbury.

Iverson lasted longer than Marbury, but not as long as these others.

That's the job we have to do thru the draft process. We have to find the dogs. The junkies. The guys that will KILL for their games. Not just the uber talented kid that'll get bored of the game and hard work in 2-3 years and just start trollin clubs chasin panties.

We have to find the kid that slept with a basketball in his bed growin up. That even tho he's 19, can tell you how great Bill Walton was at UCLA, or what George Gervin was about in the 70's, or knows stories about Bernard King, even tho he wasn't alive when King was elite.

THAT kid, with our training, our teaching, + his desire to be great, that's what we want. That's the kid I want leading us for 10-12-15 years, God willing.

If one of those guys, can give us Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, KG, or even better, Kobe's career, we should be in good hands.

If all he turns into is a Derek Fisher, or Robert Horry, well, those guys provided a lot of traits themselves that not a lot of stars can live up to.
Nah, we're on the same page, thinking that work ethic determines EVERYTHING.

For me, when I'm looking at prospects, I feel good about them when I can see that they are absolutely DESTROYING their current level of competition, or they work hard.

Obviously, I can't see the work ethic of EVERY professional hopeful, but I can see when a guy goes from averaging 5.6 his freshman year to 13.8 as a sophomore to 24.1 in his junior year with team-carrying efforts every other game. That guy, I'd feel hopeful he's gonna make it.

Without looking at the actual numbers, the last 3 guys I felt like that about were Eyebrows, CP3, and Lebron. And out of those 3, AD was the only one that I got a general feel that he was an absolute beast in the gym and film sessions. CP3? I remember watching him and thinking "Just go to the NBA, dude. Too easy." And it's not like he was just flat out embarassing NCAA; it's just that what he WAS doing... it didn't even look like he was really trying. Same w/ Lebron at SVSM.

I don't feel even CLOSE to that from anyone this year. No, I'm NOT saying "Dude, there's no CP3 or Lebron or Anthony Davis this year: FAIL." I'm just saying, I don't see anyone that is dominating to any degree, or anyone who is obviously addicted to improvement.

I see impressive college guys.

I'm more about what Pmatic said; that if the best we get is a solid contributor, hey, that's what's up. But in the end, I think that's the best we're looking at.

Back
Top Bottom