[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I screwed up, that should say ability to defend and rebound for Davis, not defend and score.

Defend and rebound.

Ok, but you did see Davis for his year in college. Where he dominated, at 18. And his skillset, hustle, length, ability to defend and score, are all translatable traits. He was clearly, going to be a useful talent going forward, even if his offense did not follow suit.

Trout, not bein visible in the minors, I hear that.
Davis WAS visible to you.
See, to me... I do not care what you do at the lower level (college, overseas, minors, etc)... unless you absolutely DESTROYED that league.

And we might have different definitions of 'dominate', here. I'm positive that by your definition, Eyebrows DID dominate. Walked away with some awards, and a championship. My definition of 'dominate' is when the other team is looking at their coach before the game like "Can we just forfeit? _____ is playing, and this is on national tv, coach." Davis didn't strike fear like THAT.

Zero professional experience... means that all their college success... could be reduced to 'less-than-stellar' when he's fighting against Ron Artest, Paul George, ZBo, X, Kobe, Lebron... Every. Single. Night. For 82 games, not a handful.

The only way I would go with an unproven over a vet would literally be if the answer was making itself for me, like if someone like Vujacic was the best FA available, and UCLA Kareem was available. 
laugh.gif

If that's not the case, I go w/ the FA and let someone else get the prospect, and if he flourishes, if he ends up being Lebron/Kobe/Durant, I'll scoop him up later. If he ends up being Beasley/Darko/Mateen, that's someone else's problem.

That's just if it's any ol' FA. Ray ain't 'any ol' FA', imo. Perception is the difference between calling him 'one dimensional 3-pter' and 'GOAT 3-pter'. Sure, he brings one thing to the table... but that one thing sure came in handy when Bosh got a particular rebound last year and saw Ray 'conveniently located in prime position to catch and release. Sure, Horry did the same thing for us, and I would absolutely at least flirt w/ the choice to grab 2002/3/4 Horry over someone in the draft. He fills a role: back then, I'm looking at him, and I see he DOES fill a role. This college kid? Might fill a role; might fill a few roles. Might not fit any. But in all the things needed... interior passing, halfcourt offense, transition offense, 3-balls, offensive boards, 50/50 balls, veteran leadership, late-in-the-game execution, etc., etc., etc... Horry does, immediately, fill at least one role. Can't say that about the college kid. You can laugh and say "But he might fit 2 or 3 roles", and 'might' is the best you can say. Or 'highly likely'. But what you can't say, at least not with stats, is 'definitely will.'

who do the lakers need to keep after this season? is anyone worth an extension now before they get expensive or another team throws stupid money at?
I wouldn't mind keeping Swaggy P, srs too. Of course, only at an extremely reasonable price.

SwaggyPLOL.gif
Am I the only one who sees this and thinks "WEEEEEEE!!!" every time I see it? 
laugh.gif

My son. 
mean.gif

laugh.gif

i like swaggy, ears, chill, x, and wes. any chance we keep them all and still sign a top tier free agent :nerd:

hopefully :\

From one of the best writers in the biz:

Xavier Henry's L.A. Story

How a lottery washout resurrected his career on the Lake Show
By Jonathan Abrams on December 18, 2013

Xavier Henry pump-faked and shot the lane. He saw the rim but never his unsuspecting victim. He took flight a step past the free throw line, cocking the ball back in his left hand. Thwack. Henry's spectacular fatality of a dunk over Jeff Withey, the Pelicans' rookie center and a former Kansas teammate, was an instant, unforgettable posterization. And the message was clear: Jump, 7-footers. Or risk the wrath of Xavier Henry jumping over you

The dunk, during an otherwise quiet November game at Staples Center, garnered so much attention that Henry later texted Withey to check in on him. "He said he was doing all right," said Henry, the Lakers' 6-foot-6 swingman. "It was just one of his 'welcome to the league' moments. He said he learned not to take no charges no more."

But the play reverberated beyond SportsCenter, YouTube, and Withey's soul for those close to Xavier Henry. It meant something. It was a literal leap in the right direction, as Henry attempts to right his career after some lost years. "It's been difficult both physically and mentally for him, his family and me as well, knowing what type of talent he is and the ability and skill he has," said Mark Heusman, a conditioning expert who has worked with Henry since he was in high school. "It's just been difficult to see him struggle through this and not be able to show off what he has."

Henry, who is just 22 years old, was once the prize of a recruiting clash between Kentucky, Kansas, and Memphis. He is a former lottery pick who's in his fourth NBA season with his third NBA team. He is finally making his mark with the Lakers, although his contract is not guaranteed. His career has been hindered by stops and starts, injuries, and acclimating to the rigors of the NBA. He's fighting for his NBA life.

Read the whole thing : http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10120670/the-resurrection-lakers-forward-xavier-henry

^^good read...hope X resigns but I have a feeling hes gonna ariza/brown/clark it.

Farmar reevaluated today. Out another week at least. Thatll be at least 7 gms without an active PG. FO fail.

^^good read...hope X resigns but I have a feeling hes gonna ariza/brown/clark it.

Farmar reevaluated today. Out another week at least. Thatll be at least 7 gms without an active PG. FO fail.

you already know man.

With X I think the Lakers can keep him... IF they want. The Rockets saw Ariza and thought "hey, this could be our guy" and threw a pretty expensive offer (and the Lakers still could have matched, they just got Artest instead). I don't think X is at that level.

The Lakers could have kept Brown (who signed for $3.5 mil/year) and Clark ($4.24 mil a year) without hurting their pockets too much... they just didn't feel the need to given the luxury tax, other players they had, their overall performance... etc. They would've stayed if the Lakers were willing to give up that type of deal.

I think X, Wes and Farmar have all played to the point where that's their market: 2-3 year deals, $2-4 million per year. The difference for the Lakers is that they are beneath the cap this go-around. That's the choice the Lakers will make... if they want to dent the salary cap space with those deals.

Last edited:
I usually love reading Abrams' stories, but the X story felt a bit rushes and incomplete.

would anybody be unhappy if we missed the lotto this year and the next few but end up with a team that has some of this year's pieces, some solid free agents and a kevin love or Durant to build with? anybody not like our chances in that scenario?

history says one thing but this is a brand new culture with this revised cba. I can't say for sure that it's a result of the cba but it seems like lotto picks get flipped more often and guys like Derrick Williams, thomas robinson, jordan hill etc can be had for cheap from teams that can't afford to wait for them to develop. basically there are a lot of smaller market franchises that will be acting as farm teams. So you don't have to throw away a whole season on top of taking the risk on an underperforming player. let another team take the risk and then scoop them up for the minimum or cheap assets

Last edited:
i dont think durant will leave okc. russ looks like hes about the money so i can see him leaving. russ also wants to be the guy.

Okc has already made some huge mistakes managing that team that they are going to have to fix and it may already be too late. talk to datznasty and other okc fans in the nba thread for a better perspective

ramonashelburne: Lakers decide (at least for now) they're better off WITH Pau Gasol.

Lakers did engage in exploratory talks with several teams but never got too far with any of the discussions. Preference has been to keep Pau

ramonashelburne: Lakers decide (at least for now) they're better off WITH Pau Gasol.

Lakers did engage in exploratory talks with several teams but never got too far with any of the discussions. Preference has been to keep Pau

damn...i wish they would've never made this public. looks like pau is gonna go back to playing like a pansy. dude only acts right when he thinks he's going to get traded. guess we'll be getting blown out next game. career highs from the 5 spot.

they need to let other teams know pau can be really really really really aggressive when he plays ping pong

Last edited:
Stein is sayin LA needs to dangle Pau elsewhere to pull Asik+Lin, and still keep in line for the 2015 festivities. Problem is, Pau don't fit Houston, so need a 3rd team.

Sadly, that makes a lot of sense. Lin basically replaces Nash for good, and knows Mike very well, and Asik is a young and competent big, and like said, don't screw with the 2015 offseason work.

Only messes with the 2014 draft. Of course. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom