[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
After being non tank/tank every other game, I will be going to full tank mode.

I want Jabari Parker man, that kid can flat out PLAY. grown man moves, clutch, all around great player who is only gonna get better.

Don't eem care if this team could make a run in the playoffs, I want Mitch to blow it up now, ship out Pau, have nash retire, sell blake to a contender who needs a back up, and lets go full tank.

Tankforparker..

Iman shump for faried potential deal..

only reason i'm bringing it up is cuz we play denver tonight
laugh.gif

Nene is in washington.

shump is ny.

Faried in denver.

Deal is a potential swap between Shump and Faried.

If Faried is out tonight, lakers may steal a game.

Which sucks cuz we need them to lose
laugh.gif

these prospects got too much potential for us not to take a chance of snatching one of em man, rest up kobe, take ya time

Nene is in washington.

shump is ny.

Faried in denver.

If Faried is out tonight, lakers may steal a game.

Which sucks cuz we need them to lose :lol:
things just got interesting.. dantoni needs to counter tank by benching steve blake for personal reasons

That said, if you were Mitch Kupchak and got to keep five of these guys for the future, who would you pick?
Farmar
Xill
X
idc
idc

I agree. We need to find some gems we can keep on as role players, we can't be building ten of our roster spots through FA :lol:

Roll into the summer with Kobe, Nash, Farmar, Hill, Xavier, and seven holes to fill.

I wish we could've kept Earl. He would've been a nice role player to carry forward.

Last edited:
Been workin in my head why this Draft Pick is more important than the anti tankers want to admit. Hopefully, this will shed some light and not anger anyone. (gonna be long tho....... :lol: )

Go all the way back. Lakers get Kareem. A former #1 overall pick. Stud. One of the 3 best ever. ELITE. PRIME. Comes to LA. Wins the MVP his first year in LA. No playoffs. Serious, wins the MVP, no playoffs. The next 3 years, he wins 53, 45, and 47 games. Lakers go 8-14 in the playoffs those 3 years.

PRIME Kareem Abdul Jabbar. PRIME. LA don't do **** for 4 years.

1978, Lakers make a trade, get a draft pick to be used in 1979, turns out, it was the #1 pick. Magic comes in, title, first year. Lakers don't win that title with just Magic. They don't win that title with just Kareem. They had both. Both, were #1 picks.
2 years later, make another trade, yet again get the #1 pick, get James Worthy. Now all of a sudden, they have one old dude, and 2 young bucks runnin wild winnin titles.
Kareem lasted 20 years or somethin close. Magic lasted 12, but he was goin to make it to 16-17.

Fast forward.

#1 pick, Shaq is signed. PRIME Shaq. ELITE Shaq. Ready to go. Solid young team around him. Good young core. 3 straight years, no title. Losing record in the playoffs. 14-16. Again, prime Shaq here.
At the same time, they pulled an 18 year old prodigy, prepped him to run the franchise post Shaq.

Know when they won the title? When Kobe assumed his place as full time starter, leader, and playmaker off Shaq's abilities. They don't win that title in 2000 without Shaq. They don't win that title in 2000 without Kobe. They blended together.

Each big man, free agent signing. ELITE. PRIME. Dominant. 7 years of losing playoff seasons, until the young, drafted, guards came to the rescue.

The YOUNG draft pick, is what drives the bus of a franchise.

Witness, the Spurs draft #1 Tim Duncan, and for the next 17 years, the Spurs stay in the mix. Ebbs and flows, roster turnover, etc, but the draft pick keeps everything running smooth.
Chris Paul did not go to the Clippers because he loved the franchise, he went there because Blake Griffin #1 pick, was there.

The Blazers THOUGHT they had it all, when they combined Roy, LMA, and Oden. in theory, they would have been right. 3 19-20 year old prospects, developing together over a decade? That's alot of wins.
The Thunder, #2, #4, and #3 picks, back to back to back years. Sprinkle in that extra #24 pick, and that's a ****** core.
Warriors, finally rebuilt proper with Steph, Klay, Barnes, 3 guys all in that 7-11 range.

The free agent signee gets you 7-9-10 years, maybe. Shaq came in 1996, young as hell. By 2004 he was old, breaking down, and cost 80 mil over 3 years.

Kareem came to LA young as could be. Won his first title with LA in his damn 30's.

Magic and Kobe kept the team "young" with their energy and their legs on the floor. Playin 46 minutes a night, and just askin for a little help from the big fellas.

When Kareem left, Magic was still there to guide the ship. They almost got another in 91, and they might have had more shots if he got to keep playing.
When Shaq left in 05, Kobe was still there to guide the ship. They kept working around him, and they got 2 more with another opp for one more in 08.

So recap. The building of the Lakers we love, signed a prime FA. Drafted an elite Guard. Then signed another prime FA, drafted yet another elite guard. (traded on draft day, same thing)

You MUST get that one draft pick to carry a team/roster/franchise for 15+ years. That is what we have a chance at this year. Not just #1, or #2, but anywhere in the top 5-7-9 picks. THEN, you can also bring in that FA to counter.
If we draft a PG, you sign a PF or C.
If we draft a PF or C, you sign a PG.

That's the puzzle.

We play the Nuggets tonight. They are nice. Got some young pieces. Ty Lawson, Faried, Gallo, nice players. Nobody wanna sign in Denver to play with them tho. Not elite. Solid, usable, workable, not elite. Those 3 guys would help you win a title. You get a top 5 pick, a top FA, and sign one of those guys from the Nuggets, you'd have a real nice start. But drafting mid first round over and over, ain't gonna get it done. It's .500 forever, and you out in round 1 year after year, here's your 17th pick. Hooray.

Even if Dwight stayed here, we'd need this pick to counter him. The 19 year old to his suddenly 27 year old legs/back and whatever else hurts him as he ages.

Yes, we COULD have had CP3 and Dwight and then at that point, you can sell draft picks to load up on vets to win in a 5-6 year window. Sure. But Stern told us to eat his ***, so that's gone now.

To do this right, we have to use the ONE asset we have. A potential top draft pick, in a LOADED draft. By now, you all know. This draft is deep, and talented. But by no means does that mean we can just chill and get the 15th pick and still use that piece to win what we all demand, Titles.

I don't need a Lawson, or a Faried. Nor does LA.

We need a Anthony Davis, Durant, Steph, Russ, Love, Duncan, Blake G, Dwight, CP3, Deron Williams, Dirk, Vince, Rubio, Harden, Bosh, Wade, Rose, LeBron type draft pick. A pick that alters a franchise.

Not just keeps it stuck in mediocrity.

Want MORE. Demand, MORE. We aren't winning the title this year. We ALL know that. So swallow your pride, and get on board with the best course of action for the franchise to recharge. History has proven over and over, you need a pick to carry you thru. You may want to point to the Heat. D Wade changed their entire history, and he was the 5th pick in the draft. A loaded draft. He combined with another player, got one title, and was sunk. Then he convinced two of his friends to come help him.

Maybe we get the 6th pick. Maybe he's not Jabari or Wiggins. But maybe in 3-4-5 years, he calls 2-3 of his buddies, and they want to come hang out in LA, and run this town like it was when they were growin up, watchin Shaq and Kobe, and then Kobe and Gasol.

This draft pick is HUGE for our future. Why would anyone, ANYONE, of you want to throw that away, for some December wins in a year we don't win a title anyways? What good will come of that? Pride? What are you proud of? Giving away a lottery ticket? Being noble? Bragging rights?

Naw. I want my dynasty back. And we know where it starts. Get one, then get the other. Then watch it bloom.

Then Figueroa. :smokin

Let's be real, we aren't winning a title either, so the goal remains, get the best draft position you can get.

Can't get Wiggins or Parker, ok, how bout Randle?

Or Marcus Smart?

Or Dante Exum?

Aaron Gordon?

Because ANY of those guys would suddenly become our best piece of the franchise. 36 year old Kobe would no longer hold that title.

Going 41-41, getting the **** beat out of us in the first round by a #1 seed and getting the 15th pick is pretty freaking stupid when you watch all those elite prospects fill in on the rest of the Western teams "below" us. Only they would be combining them with other young talent, we'd be left with a bunch of one year contracts and 2 old vets on their last legs.

laker card pulled.

Cats acting like this isnt one of the most if not the most attractive franchise to play for.

So your telling me in one of the darker years in recent memory you would rather just curl up and loose in HOPES for a draft pick opposed to staying true to a winning culture that at least COMPETES every night to win and stay true to the LAKER mantle????

Sippin the hell outta that wiggings/parker cool-aid got you buggin.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp. You don't win a prize for just making the playoffs. You DO win a prize for landing a top __ lottery pick. (1-4-7-9, whatever)
Because ANY of those guys would suddenly become our best piece of the franchise. 36 year old Kobe would no longer hold that title.

in piece do you mean investment or asset?

In a 1979 trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Los Angeles Lakers received a 1982 first round pick and additional assets. In 1982, the trading of future first round picks could result in the loss of high draft picks because there existed none of the protection clauses that currently prevent the loss of such picks. The Cavaliers finished with the NBA's worst record in the 1981–82 season, putting the Lakers in automatic contention for one of the top two picks in the 1982 Draft. The only further requirement for the Lakers to land the first pick was to win a coin toss which determined the placement of the first two draftees (all other draft positions were awarded to teams in descending order of their record in the previous season; this practice ended with the advent of the Draft Lottery in 1985). The Lakers won the coin toss against the San Diego Clippers and received the first pick, with which they selected Worthy. As a result, the Lakers became the first and only team to acquire the top pick in the Draft after having won that season's championship

Wow. Everything just fell into place for that 80's team.

Last edited:
i only wanted 8 wins this year, 4 against the clippers and 4 on dwight's ***** ***. in my eyes were 100% right now :lol:

we could lose the rest for all i care (and i hope we do, in entertaining fashion).

Nene is in washington.

shump is ny.

Faried in denver.

Gotcha.

I always confuse Nene and Faried, because I think of them both the same way: junkyard dogs, hustlers. 
smokin.gif
 When I think of one, I always think of the other because they're so interchangeable, like Kobe and TMac.*

*caaaaaaalm down, CP. I was kidding.
Mostly.

Back
Top Bottom