**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I already know your style.
You don't. Promise.
It’s not difficult to avoid the mental gymnastics y’alll play with each other, especially when you choose to avoid addressing the points I made hence your funny “side question.”
I don't even know of the conversation that you all were having or how many people it was with. I saw you say "Reason or excuse?" and asked my side question. I see you've got yourself convinced of something else, though.
You inow, this type stuff, “I’ll answer your question if you answer my question first.”
Except that wasn't me, Sherlock. 😂
Let's start over.
Reasons and excuses: how do you personally set them apart? How do you define a reason, and how do you define an excuse?

You don't. Promise.

I don't even know of the conversation that you all were having or how many people it was with. I saw you say "Reason or excuse?" and asked my side question. I see you've got yourself convinced of something else, though.

Except that wasn't me, Sherlock. 😂
Let's start over.
Reasons and excuses: how do you personally set them apart? How do you define a reason, and how do you define an excuse?
People make excuses for themselves or others to avoid responsibility/accountability.

Such as….”coaches don’t matter because it’s the players not the coaches who play on the court” while forgetting that coaches are fully responsible for such things as game planning, substitution patterns, lineups, schemes, in-game and in-series adjustments, inspiring and developing young players, aka leading to win

Or……”what the coach did this year to win the chip doesn’t matter because coach has two new players (for example Jrue and KP) he didn’t have last year when they failed to win it all” and fans were screaming for his replacement last season, while forgetting that Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, and Robert Williams, the guys Jrue and KP basically replaced, also helped lead BOS to the Finals just two short years ago with the same coach on the same staff but as an assistant and would’ve probably won it all had it not been for the great Steph Curry and the great coaching of Steve Kerr and Draymond Green. Put Jrue and KP instead of Smart and the Williams bros on the 2022 Celtics and they probably still lose to GSW imo.

Using KP and Jrue as an excuse for Mazulla winning it all shows complete shortsightedness and is actually a disrespect to Mazzulla’s ability to lead since the makeup of Boston’s team is very similar to the one that was up 2 games to 1 vs GSW in the 2022 Finals.

Reasons are fair and logical justifications for doing or not doing something.

Such as….”The reason coaches matter is because the head coach is ultimately responsible for creating a winning culture through effective communication and leadership skills as proven by countless coaches who replaced a coach and won a title with virtually the same team that the coach he replaced had previously. Aka Kerr winning a chip after taking over for Mark Jackson. Or Lue winning a chip after taking over for Blatt

Or…..”it’s impossible for him to have a full leg workout because his leg is broken.”

Or….”The reason DAL is down 0-3 to BOS is because Coach Kidd keeps using the same lineups over and over again without attempting to make any adjustments therefore his team keeps repeating the same mistakes and keeps getting outplayed.” Now that wouldn’t be an excuse because it’s completely fair and logical to think that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results

Reasoning is supposed to make sense. But sometimes people will have reasons that don’t make sense aka “stupid reasons.”

So what the difference? Excuses are nothing but illogical and useless reasoning.

“Oh teacher, I didn’t do the assignment because the dog ate my homework.”

“Coaches don’t matter because they’re just someone wearing a suit in charge of holding a clipboard. Coaches aren’t the ones who are playing the game.”

Reason or excuse? :lol:

Its late and I have a very important meeting at 8 am tomorrow to close a very lucrative deal. English class is dismissed

Last edited:

No offense to you pac but I disagree with the post saying Shams story doesn’t make sense.

He’s been reporting for weeks that it was all about JJ and a few other guys. Even Woj posted that last week the Lakers and Hurley’s people spoke. So if all May the Laker front office has been focused on their guys but at the last minute someone else comes on their radar that’s at least a reasonable explanation of the situation.

I know a lot of this stuff comes down to who you and what you believe though.

Think Hurley was atop the wishlist, but a long shot. They kept probing and he became interested last week.

All while JJ and Borrego were the realistic candidates.

People make excuses for themselves or others to avoid responsibility/accountability. Reasons are fair and logical justifications for doing or not doing something. Reasoning is supposed to make sense.
Excuses are nothing but illogical and useless reasoning.
Interesting.
It would appear we're on the same page, but we kind of word it differently. We agree that a reason should make sense and that an excuse... kind of doesn't.
Obviously you're tailoring your response/definitions to the Lakers and whatever conversation was going on with you and whoever else, but I wasn't asking for that purpose: promise.
Was just asking out of curiosity, as a side question.
I've always told my son that the difference between a reason and an excuse is simple: An excuse stops progress, but a reason just disrupts progress.
A reason is simply why progress was difficult, but there was still progress.
An excuse is a crutch to stop progress.
I like your broken leg/leg workout example.
Using the broken leg as a reason: "My leg is broken so that's why I can't do a full leg workout, but I still did arms today and a few back exercises. Going to work on paperwork at my desk all week at work. #noexcuses"
Using the broken leg as an excuse: "My leg is broken so that's why I can't do a full leg workout... or anything. Netflix all week? I think yes!"
That was all. Carry on. :smile:

Maybe this is why Shohei was so good with the Angels...

Nothing was high leverage there

Exactly what I say whenever people say things like "It would have been nice to see Trout's career on a team that actually mattered." I think for the first few years that's an attractive thought, but once he settled in, I think he learned how to be great on a horrible team.
Circling back to our Lakers, I think that happens with players like Rui, too, and I think I've said that in here. The danger with impressive numbers on trash teams is that there's no pressure, and that may not translate to a team that is actually fighting to maintain their place at the top of the standings night in and night out. 😬

No offense to you pac but I disagree with the post saying Shams story doesn’t make sense.

He’s been reporting for weeks that it was all about JJ and a few other guys. Even Woj posted that last week the Lakers and Hurley’s people spoke. So if all May the Laker front office has been focused on their guys but at the last minute someone else comes on their radar that’s at least a reasonable explanation of the situation.

I know a lot of this stuff comes down to who you and what you believe though.

None taken at all.

I'm still looking sideways a hurley especially with this media tour he is on now.

If there was a number, did you share that with our FO? It's cool to go on TV and say there was a number but we will never know if that number was shared and if the FO turned that number down.

It is what it is.

Exactly what I say whenever people say things like "It would have been nice to see Trout's career on a team that actually mattered." I think for the first few years that's an attractive thought, but once he settled in, I think he learned how to be great on a horrible team.
Circling back to our Lakers, I think that happens with players like Rui, too, and I think I've said that in here. The danger with impressive numbers on trash teams is that there's no pressure, and that may not translate to a team that is actually fighting to maintain their place at the top of the standings night in and night out. 😬

Damn it. I thought I put it in the wrong thread....lol

None taken at all.

I'm still looking sideways a hurley especially with this media tour he is on now.

If there was a number, did you share that with our FO? It's cool to go on TV and say there was a number but we will never know if that number was shared and if the FO turned that number down.

It is what it is.
Yeah man.

Cause if the meeting went down like LA offered 6/$70 mil and Hurley said nah I’m cool… the end…that seems suspect to me.

But yeah it is what it is.

1718386516083.png

:smh:

Interesting.
It would appear we're on the same page, but we kind of word it differently. We agree that a reason should make sense and that an excuse... kind of doesn't.
Obviously you're tailoring your response/definitions to the Lakers and whatever conversation was going on with you and whoever else, but I wasn't asking for that purpose: promise.
I've always told my son that the difference between a reason and an excuse is simple: An excuse stops progress, but a reason just disrupts progress.
Using the broken leg as a reason: "My leg is broken so that's why I can't do a full leg workout, but I still did arms today and a few back exercises. Going to work on paperwork at my desk all week at work. #noexcuses"
Using the broken leg as an excuse: "My leg is broken so that's why I can't do a full leg workout... or anything. Netflix all week? I think yes!"
You are raising your son to be a good man brother. 💪🏼🙌🏼👍🏼

My late Pops always told me,”in the game of life, there are no such things as excuses if you want to be a winner.”

This is exactly what I was waiting to hear.

Lakers IMO have their sights on Clingan or Edey and both are expected to go top 10

I bet Hurley told Jeanie and Pelinka who he would draft in the first round if he were the Lakers coach and he probably told them he’d take one of the aforementioned bigs but he also could’ve said he thinks they won’t be available at #17.

And it’s OBVIOUS the Lakers need a Legit CENTER if they have any hopes of competing for a championship ever again while AD and Bron are rocking the purple n gold

This is exactly what I was waiting to hear.

Lakers IMO have their sights on Clingan or Edey and both are expected to go top 10

I bet Hurley told Jeanie and Pelinka who he would draft in the first round if he were the Lakers coach and he probably told them he’d take one of the aforementioned bigs but he also could’ve said he thinks they won’t be available at #17.

And it’s OBVIOUS the Lakers need a Legit CENTER if they have any hopes of competing for a championship ever again while AD and Bron are rocking the purple n gold
I really like Filipowski. :ohwell:

Interesting.
So let's say players like DLo, Austin, heck even Lebron and AD don't perform at the level they're capable of are we going to respond with....

A) Damn those guys need to step it up and play better, no excuses.

B) Damn those guys need to step it up, but they have a crappy coach so there's only so much they can do... no excuses.

C) None of the above.

So let's say players like DLo, Austin, heck even Lebron and AD don't perform at the level they're capable of are we going to respond with....

A) Damn those guys need to step it up and play better, no excuses.

B) Damn those guys need to step it up, but they have a crappy coach so there's only so much they can do... no excuses.

C) None of the above.
E

Back
Top Bottom