**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

The difference is with those squads you mentioned is that they either already had 2 all star caliber players (ie Nets and Bucks) and/or their stars are considerably younger so it makes sense to make those moves. If Bron was 33 instead of 37 hell, it'd make more sense. I'm saying we did it once already with AD, it doesn't make sense to do it going forward given Bron's age/recent injury luck and even moreso AD'S unavailability. They're going to move our last 2 picks to try and get rid of Russ for what exactly?

Those squads in general just have more stuff to move while we're stuck with no real tradeable asset outside of AD. I don't think it's arguable that Bron's last 2 stops the teams have been a mess in departure of his wake.

The difference is with those squads you mentioned is that they either already had 2 all star caliber players (ie Nets and Bucks) and/or their stars are considerably younger so it makes sense to make those moves. If Bron was 33 instead of 37 hell, it'd make more sense. I'm saying we did it once already with AD, it doesn't make sense to do it going forward given Bron's age/recent injury luck and even moreso AD'S unavailability. They're going to move our last 2 picks to try and get rid of Russ for what exactly?

Those squads in general just have more stuff to move while we're stuck with no real tradeable asset outside of AD. I don't think it's arguable that Bron's last 2 stops the teams have been a mess in departure of his wake.
I’m not just talking about the 4 year Laker window

There’s validity to that LeGM narrative. But ultimately that’s on Rob and whatever other prior GM’s enable that. Not just with Lebron, but with other star players as well.

The GM makes personnel moves. The player plays basketball. There’s been plenty of players who’ve transitioned into front office roles after their playing days were over, so there’s a path to Lebron having that role on an official level one day if he really wants it.

It’s on the GM to ultimately nip that LeGM stuff in the bud though. By all means a GM should listen to input from their star player, but listening to input doesn’t mean making moves to appease said star player if it conflicts with the GM’s vision. Part of being a GM is sometimes making unpopular personnel moves which may alienate your star player. But winning usually cures that.

Yeah in 2014, part of the reason why Lebron left Miami was because he was pissed Pat Riley didn’t give him the control he wanted. Granted Pat Riley has proven credentials that Rob doesn’t. But a 29 year old Lebron who recently won his team 2 titles had way more leverage than a 37 year old Lebron on a 35 win team does.

Reactions: MVP
There’s validity to that LeGM narrative. But ultimately that’s on Rob and whatever other prior GM’s enable that. Not just with Lebron, but with other star players as well.

The GM makes personnel moves. The player plays basketball. There’s been plenty of players who’ve transitioned into front office roles after their playing days were over, so there’s a path to Lebron having that role on an official level one day if he really wants it.

It’s on the GM to ultimately nip that LeGM stuff in the bud though. By all means a GM should listen to input from their star player, but listening to input doesn’t mean making moves to appease said star player if it conflicts with the GM’s vision. Part of being a GM is sometimes making unpopular personnel moves which may alienate your star player. But winning usually cures that.

Yeah in 2014, part of the reason why Lebron left Miami was because he was pissed Pat Riley didn’t give him the control he wanted. Granted Pat Riley has proven credentials that Rob doesn’t. But a 29 year old Lebron who recently won his team 2 titles had way more leverage than a 37 year old Lebron on a 35 win team does.

All of this. For as much pull and equity as Bean had in 2007 with the Lakers, the organization didn't bend to his every whim. Rob didn't capitulate to Bron at the trade deadline with that ill sighted move for Wall so maybe they're doing the calculus as well now. We'll see for sure this summer though.

Last edited:
All of this. For as much pull and equity as Bean had in 2007 with the Lakers, the organization didn't bend to his every whim. Rob didn't capitulate to Bron at the trade deadline with that I'll sighted move for Wall so maybe they're doing the calculus as well now. We'll see for sure this summer though.

Offseason is going to be interesting. Especially in terms of how hitched they are to the Lebron wagon long term with the moves they make.

But from a GM perspective. You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t with a superstar player wanting to play GM.

If you appease them and the moves don’t pan out. You’re ultimately the fall guy. If you don’t appease them, you run the risk of an unhappy star player.

Personally if I was a GM, I rather make the personnel moves I think are best suited for the team, and try to smooth things over with my star player and sell them on the plan. If that doesn’t work, that star player has trade value.

That’s more appealing over making moves to appease your star player and potentially crippling yourself in the long term, along with your star player likely still getting upset anyway when they’re losing and the moves they lobbied for are a reason why.

AD's injury last year is the one that completely wrecked what we had in place.

Kuz, Caruso, KCP, Schroeder, Trezz, THT, etc with Bron/AD would have been fine if they were able to make a true run last year.

Imagine if they had pulled Monk on top of that core, maybe still brought in Melo or Dwight, we'd still be in solid shape. They overreacted and tried to land a guy they thought would carry the team if/when one of the big stars needed a month off. Alas......

I don't think we would have kept Trezz. Just seemed like a divorce was unavoidable there.

DS wasn't that bad and probably could have been kept on the cheap.

Yeah...AD going down last year and us not being able to make a run really made the FO make some foolish moves.

Hopefully they can find a way to remedy some of it.

Their issues last season were much more injury related. They were up 2-1 on Phoenix and looked in control of that series before AD went down.

The team played almost .500 ball during that long stretch where Lebron and AD missed time. Roster turnover is inevitable in the league. But the Westbrook move was a panic move to me when they would’ve been better suited making minor tweaks than anything.

In the alternative universe where we do the Heild trade and keep KCP but still lose Caruso and AD and Bron still miss the time they have, add Monk and Melo are we better for this season than we are right now?

Anyone think Vogel getting fired no matter how the season ends?

If so thoughts on Quin Snyder :nerd:

He's definitely gone. Snyder would probably be a prime candidate given his previous ties to the organization, but my money is on Doc Rivers if the Sixers flame out.

Anyone think Vogel getting fired no matter how the season ends?

If so thoughts on Quin Snyder :nerd:

Ya I think he’s a lame duck. He’s gone

Snyder would be cool with me. But he might be too expensive for Jeanie. I’m thinking she might go with a first time coach who’s paid dues as assistant, to save money. Another scenario would be Brian Shaw or Rambis with Phil overseeing….running the triangle. And I’m not even joking. I think it’s possible sadly

In the alternative universe where we do the Heild trade and keep KCP but still lose Caruso and AD and Bron still miss the time they have, add Monk and Melo are we better for this season than we are right now?
out of the playoffs
yes

vogel a dead man walking

if leGM signs off on doc, i may have to burn his 23 jersey i just bought

Marginally, sure.

-foe

What if he doesn’t and they have a deep playoff run?

-foe

Then I'd bet on Snyder cause Utah def going home early. They'll try and make a change so Donovan doesn't ask out. Kenny Atkinson will probably be high on the list. Sam Cassell and Bron's guy Mark Jackson probably in the mix too.

You guys think Jeanie will pay up for Doc, Mark, Quin?

Cassell seems more likely since Rob will have a Vogel-ish budget

You guys think Jeanie will pay up for Doc, Mark, Quin?

Cassell seems more likely since Rob will have a Vogel-ish budget

I don't think she'll make the Lue mistake again. If Kidd's issues off court weren't what they were he'd be the coach right now. The Rambis dynamic is an entirely different issue.

Don’t forget the “laker family” dynamic when hiring a coach, although Vogel was not in the family

Former assistants like Lionel Hollins might be considered too

I don't think he would do it, but I would definitely reach out to the boy wonder in Boston to see if he was interested in getting back to coaching.

Back
Top Bottom