**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Right now Gabriel is ineligible for the play-in/playoffs because he's on a two-way. I wonder if they waive someone and bring him to the main roster.
0402BCFC-CD9F-4246-B804-14E901F21723.gif

It's wild to me that you can make a show about someone without their approval.
If you couldn't, that would be censorship.

BUT... slander and libel are still things that a person could sue for. If I made a show lying left right about you, then you could sue the fire out of me and a cease & desist would be in order if you could prove what I put out there was way out of line.

But if there's some truth to a documentary someone makes, all you can do... is watch something else. 😬

-foe

If you couldn't, that would be censorship.

BUT... slander and libel are still things that a person could sue for. If I made a show lying left right about you, then you could sue the fire out of me and a cease & desist would be in order if you could prove what I put out there was way out of line.

But if there's some truth to a documentary someone makes, all you can do... is watch something else. 😬

-foe
Some things are just hard to disprove.

I haven't watched the show yet but I saw the scene where Magic was tearing somebody up on the court because they were messing with Cookie at the time. I can see how Magic may not like that. :lol:

99% of the media you consume about public figures is unlicensed. All of those lifetime movies about public figures are unlicensed. The really popular Hulu show about Elizabeth Holmes is unlicensed, this show on Apple TV about that wework CEO is unlicensed, the Tommy Lee and Pam Anderson show on Hulu is unlicensed. Just comes with a territory of being a public figure.

The risk you run with only going creating media that is approved by the individuals it is based on is that you tend to lose some of the objectivity. The movie Antwone Fisher is based on a book by Antwone Fisher...you think that's going to be objective? 🤣Of course you're going to make yourself out to be the protagonist who never did anything wrong. It's effectively propaganda.

re: approval

It’s based on a book that a guy wrote after taking stories DIRECTLY from players involved

Both of Pearlman's books on the Lakers are fantastic and based on hundreds of interviews he did with former players, their spouses, team staff, high school/college teammates of players,etc. The books aren't nearly as sensational as the TV show

Some things are just hard to disprove.

I haven't watched the show yet but I saw the scene where Magic was tearing somebody up on the court because they were messing with Cookie at the time. I can see how Magic may not like that. :lol:
Doesn't have to be disproved by the accused; it has to be proven by the accuser. I've had to defend myself in court. Wasn't worried about it, and the reason I wasn't worried isn't because I made sure to clean my tracks or whatever. It's because I knew there was no way they could prove what I was being accused of, because I didn't do it. So let the court play out and I'll walk away from this because I literally know that they literally have nothing because I literally didn't do it.

If I make a documentary about you poisoning your neighbor's food and you sue me, you don't have to disprove my accusation. I have to prove that you did it. If I can't, you win. Cease & desist on my documentary.

Now poisoning food is a pretty easy thing to prove if it actually happened. When it comes to character assassination, it might seem more tricky but it's still the same concept. If I made a documentary that you hate all your neighbors and you sued me, again, you don't have to disprove that. I have to prove that you hate your neighbors. If I can't, you win. Cease & desist on my documentary.

-foe

Part of the reason im holding out on watching winning time.

Hear everyone at the Lakers isn't happy with this show. I'll watch Magics doc and then Hulu joint that Jeanie is a part of then check out Winning Time (stupid title lol)

Part of the reason im holding out on watching winning time.

Hear everyone at the Lakers isn't happy with this show. I'll watch Magics doc and then Hulu joint that Jeanie is a part of then check out Winning Time (stupid title lol)
I had no intentions on watching because it was directed by Adam Mckay but apparently it's a good show. The clip I saw convinced me.

I understand it's based off a book, but I'm not quite sure how they're allowed to use real logos and **** when NBA takes down highlight videos all day :lol:

Still haven't watched. I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I had no intentions on watching because it was directed by Adam Mckay but apparently it's a good show. The clip I saw convinced me.
I was on the same boat about Adam Mckay. The trailer looked so cheesy too.

I watched the first 10 minutes of it couple days ago and it's still has this cartoonish feel to it but I'll eventually get around to watching it.

I understand it's based off a book, but I'm not quite sure how they're allowed to use real logos and **** when NBA takes down highlight videos all day :lol:

Still haven't watched. I'll probably check it out this weekend.
those highlight vids arent putting $ in their pocket like turner sports

I’ve been watching… It’s entertaining.

Not that serious enough to really irk me.

Def feels like a satire… I mean besides all the stuff y’all’s posted, and other little things like they have Norm Nixon who’s from GA calling Magic country 😂

2 things are guaranteed in this thread nowadays

us losing and cp fighting the good ol coaches fight.

but frank vogel still sucks no matter how you spin it.

atleast kerr will use his entire roster when needed and in key situtations and not refuse to play a player because he plays the same position as another player who is playing that game.

matter a fact every coach does except for vogel.

Back
Top Bottom