**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Every offseason since Pelinka has been in charge he’s tried to address team needs, doesn’t seem like one to sit on his hands.

Yes it hasn’t always worked out.
Yes he has gone to the extreme in trying to adjust the roster construction.

Actually I was thinking about something not too long ago. It seems as if maybe the last two offseasons he’s been building around AD instead of Lebron. Think about it, the best formula of a roster surrounding Lebron is a rim running lob threat big and 3D guards/wings. Last season a few of the biggest acquisitions were Drummond, Trez, and Marc Gasol. Both were more AD pickups so he wouldn’t have to play his natural position, and do the dirty work in the paint. Even the RW pickup, I’m thinking Bron gets more of the finger pointed at him but ideally who really was going to benefit more with adding a pick and roll guard?

The championship roster was obviously a good balance of complementary players that fit next to AD and Lebron BUT here’s a question I want to ask you guys… at this point in their careers, are you able to build a team around the strengths of both guys or do you have to kinda choose who you want to build around?

The way I see if, building around AD I’m going to need a primary point guard, move Lebron to the 3 and a center. If I’m building around Lebron I need a secondary point guard, and a wing. In both scenarios I’m assuming one of Reaves/THT are the starting /backup 2 guard… and the bench will be filled out accordingly. I’m neither scenario Lebron is the starting point guard.

Curious to what you guys think.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Pelinka. No one in their right mind could have envisioned LBJ balling like this. Management most likely saw Bron perhaps losing 2 steps, 1 if they were lucky. Not gaining a step. Russ imo, was going to be insurance for Bron. His jack of all trades type game was probably viewed as the perfect replacement, stylistically speaking, for when LBJ sat on the bench. And management maybe envisioned Bron sitting more this year than ever before. So getting Russ made perfect sense.

Rob will be stuck in the same position this off-season, which is the same thing you're asking. Do you build around AD, the younger supposed to be more talented at this stage player? Or do you think LBJ can maintain this level of play again next season?

We all know what the smart answer is. And that's what's going to end up ******* Rob again. :lol:

The problem is that you have a player in LBJ who is trying to do 2 things at once that don't go hand in hand. He wants to score as many points as possible but that's not necessarily for the long term betterment of AD taking over the team. And next season, he's REALLY gonna go in with the scoring. So yeah.... interesting decisions this off-season.

Every offseason since Pelinka has been in charge he’s tried to address team needs, doesn’t seem like one to sit on his hands.

Yes it hasn’t always worked out.
Yes he has gone to the extreme in trying to adjust the roster construction.

Actually I was thinking about something not too long ago. It seems as if maybe the last two offseasons he’s been building around AD instead of Lebron. Think about it, the best formula of a roster surrounding Lebron is a rim running lob threat big and 3D guards/wings. Last season a few of the biggest acquisitions were Drummond, Trez, and Marc Gasol. Both were more AD pickups so he wouldn’t have to play his natural position, and do the dirty work in the paint. Even the RW pickup, I’m thinking Bron gets more of the finger pointed at him but ideally who really was going to benefit more with adding a pick and roll guard?

The championship roster was obviously a good balance of complementary players that fit next to AD and Lebron BUT here’s a question I want to ask you guys… at this point in their careers, are you able to build a team around the strengths of both guys or do you have to kinda choose who you want to build around?

The way I see if, building around AD I’m going to need a primary point guard, move Lebron to the 3 and a center. If I’m building around Lebron I need a secondary point guard, and a wing. In both scenarios I’m assuming one of Reaves/THT are the starting /backup 2 guard… and the bench will be filled out accordingly. I’m neither scenario Lebron is the starting point guard.

Curious to what you guys think.
I assume Nunn was expected to be the primary point guard

I assume Nunn was expected to be the primary point guard
I have Nunn in the same category player as Monk, maybe not as explosive but a little more consistent. Undersized 2 guard who can do some basic secondary playmaking

I posted a fake trade a few pages back… and not that realistically I think it will happen but I thought it made sense.
83B1A53C-AFA1-4ED7-9266-E7C7CF3DB6F2.jpeg

Russ is just going to be a salary dump. Wash has the Beal extension this summer, the Kuz extension next year, and Gafford’s extension on the books as well. They’d be in salary cap hell paying Beal the supermax, KP’s 30+ mil, Kuz and Rui.

Not sure if off the top of my head I’ve seen a guy get traded back to one of his old teams, but as long as it’s legal I think it would be a possibility. Add shooting, defense and rim protecting. If you start THT he can be your secondary guy, and basically him and AD would be the only non shooting threats on the floor. I’m just not crazy about Lebron at the 3 so still looking at other possible trade ideas

With Jokic’s supermax on the way the Nuggets are another team that will probably be looking for cap relief but I can’t see a trade here unless the Lakers are willing to take MPJ….. no thanks!

68E9BB03-3DCB-4D76-B163-D1B8AED2AA21.jpeg

Or the Warriors
28C75447-B8B9-4349-9299-12FE0612D146.jpeg

Are they going to pay Wiggins and Poole? Is Dray going to exercise his PO?
I’m guessing that they’ll extend Wiseman

Help me out pmatic pmatic

Last edited:
Where will the Gabriel/Ad front court stack up in the league.

Is there a better 4/5 combo in the league? I feel terrible for crowder/ayton

Thing is, he reminds me of someone who looks busy but isn't actually accomplishing anything, someone with a lot of words but never actually makes a statement. People credit him with Lebron coming to us, but that was happening regardless. Lebby had already hinted at Hollywood when he was in Cleveland. Everyone knew it was us. I can't credit Pelinka for that.

For me, he's gotta go. For who? I don't know, so keep him I guess. Ion like him, though. People blasting Lebron for putting this team together when this isn't the team Lebron wanted. This is Pelinka's doing.

We need a basketball mind running the team. He's a business mind.

-foe

Thing is, he reminds me of someone who looks busy but isn't actually accomplishing anything, someone with a lot of words but never actually makes a statement. People credit him with Lebron coming to us, but that was happening regardless. Lebby had already hinted at Hollywood when he was in Cleveland. Everyone knew it was us. I can't credit Pelinka for that.

For me, he's gotta go. For who? I don't know, so keep him I guess. Ion like him, though. People blasting Lebron for putting this team together when this isn't the team Lebron wanted. This is Pelinka's doing.

We need a basketball mind running the team. He's a business mind.

-foe
I hear ya! I’m not necessarily a Pelinka supporter, simply put I just don’t believe in him. Certain guys running teams know what type of players they want…GS wants high IQ guys who can pass and shoot, Hinkie wants 3&D guys next to his stars etc. So Pelinka wants what exactly next to AD and Lebron? 3&D guys, playmakers, offensive minded players, I have no idea. Kinda like he just throws stuff at wall and sees what sticks

Pelinka isn’t going anywhere unless he resigns

He was ultimately responsible for putting a roster together that won a title

I’m not so convinced Vogel will be fired either, he signed an extension this past summer. This seasons failures will be blamed on (1) injuries and (2) listening to players on personnel decisions that led to the failed Russ acquisition . If anything, Jeanie will empower Rob even more to make the call on roster moves and not follow Klutch’s guidance.

The problem is the org is structured with too much input and decision-making going to Rambii

Will be another wild off season

Pelinka isn’t going anywhere unless he resigns

He was ultimately responsible for putting a roster together that won a title

I’m not so convinced Vogel will be fired either, he signed an extension this past summer. This seasons failures will be blamed on (1) injuries and (2) listening to players on personnel decisions that led to the failed Russ acquisition . If anything, Jeanie will empower Rob even more to make the call on roster moves and not follow Klutch’s guidance.

The problem is the org is structured with too much input and decision-making going to Rambii

Will be another wild off season

This season has been a failure on my levels. If I had to devy up blame I'd say its:

50% poor roster construction
30% injuries
20% coaching/preperation

Vogel was given a terrible roster to coach, point-blank. AD missing the majority of the season (again) and not having Ariza or Nunn at all this season made his job harder. That being said, Vogel's rotations and substitution patterns have been inexcusably bad. Being down 20+ so often this season shows a lack of preparation and effort. I don't think I've ever seen a Lakers team where so many games are over by halftime. That's on the coach. That being said even the best coach coaches in the league would struggle with this team. We didn't sign any quality bigs and went into the season pinning our hopes on AD being our defensive anchor.

Pelinka wants what exactly next to AD and Lebron? 3&D guys, playmakers, offensive minded players, I have no idea. Kinda like he just throws stuff at wall and sees what sticks
COMPLETELY agree.

Honestly even JUST Westbrook & Melo. Those were 2 confusing signings for me from the very beginning, because, I mean, they don't play similar styles at all. Like at all. Then we go Ariza's corpse, Dwight... why? Because we goofed letting him go in the first place? McGee still gone, soooo.

Just none of it was 'team identity' movement. It was just big name movement. We don't have an identity.

-foe

I mean…we have Nunn, Reaves, tht, Westbrook.

2 of those need to be traded in order to justify using the MLE (our only real way to improve this season in FA) on another small (and poor defender) guard.

We need size.

If we trade Westbrook, if we get a few wings then I can see monk being ok for the 6 mill exception. If not, then adding another small guard in place of a wing is foolish

Size is definitely a priority. I'd go after size while keeping the hustlers. Not all the hustlers. You can't have an entire team of of Alex Caruso. I love Monk's energy, though.

-foe

Almost done here guys, so let me ask yall this? Is D Book one of the 6 best guards in the west this year? I mean off the dome I got Curry, Morant, and not sure if Luka will be listed as guard or forward… I ask that because of this:
B80F5D56-502E-45DF-98F4-5348F301E3C9.jpeg

And their cap sheet is looking really tight already check it out:
DC98B817-37DD-4193-9CE0-B93E67F47650.jpeg

CP3 on the books, potential supermax looming for face of the franchise, Ayton’s potential max, Bridges extension kicking in, Cam Johnson’s extension (and he’s going to get PAID). What in the world is notorious cheap skate Sarver going to do? I know what he’s not going to do and that’s pay everyone. Maybe he tries to get off CP3, are you guys willing to take on that contract?

Reactions: DLF
Back
Top Bottom