**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

i'm not saying nick young is a good defender, but i recall several posts over the years that backed up nick young's defense with advanced stats rating him as an above average defender.

i think Essential headed those posts.

Yup. He's not great defensively.

But he can be good off the bench defensively when he applies effort. This is where the problem lies for Nick

Neil Olshey was the first person to really highlight Nick being underrated as a defender because of what he is on offense and his persona on/off the court

Last edited:
comptonprince rolling over in his grave right now with luke getting his first w as coach

comptonprince rolling over in his grave right now with luke getting his first w as coach
Haven't seen him post in awhile
nerd.gif

Nick is one of the best perimeter defenders on this team :smh:

This honestly is sad.. true but sadddd

:lol:

Only got to watch the first quarter of the game and when i woke up i was shocked to see the score. Harden looked like he was about to have 30/30 game :lol: :smh:

Ideally, you'd find your answer for a perimeter defender in the draft, and you wouldn't have to draft so high to get someone like that.

Let's hope Mitch finds a way to get decent placement in next year's draft.

Ideally, you'd find your answer for a perimeter defender in the draft, and you wouldn't have to draft so high to get someone like that.

It will never happen, but I honestly would trade everyone on our bench (sans Clarkson) + Swaggy for Avery Bradley

One thing about Dlo
I love the confidence but he has a lot to work on

Can't get by his man and can't create his own shot without a screen, it's a big detriment

He had the ball with the offense sputtering and clock winding down and tried to create something but couldn't, ended up launching a long 3

Elite PGs, you need a bucket, they can blow by their man and draw a second defender or create for themselves

Something he'll need to work on

But he's money on that midrange game coming off a screen with the defender trailing, a la CP3

Last edited:

Pass that sticky icky. You know nance and Ingram are on that bench too right?

Should have specified more. I consider Ingram a starter regardless of if he is in the actual in SLU or not. So Russell, Clarkson, Ingram & Randle safe. Mozgov & Deng safe because of contract matching issues of it. But I'd part with Deng if it somehow got it done.

Everything else, I would trade in a heart beat for Bradley.

Including Nance

Last edited:

Pass that sticky icky. You know nance and Ingram are on that bench too right?

Should have specified more. I consider Ingram a starter regardless of if he is in the actual in SLU or not. So Russell, Clarkson, Ingram & Randle safe. Mozgov & Deng safe because of contract matching issues of it. But I'd part with Deng if it somehow got it done.

Everything else, I would trade in a heart beat for Bradley.

Including Nance

C'mon GM, we not giving up Nance Jr.

C'mon GM, we not giving up Nance Jr.

Nor are Celtics giving up Bradley.

But Bradley is a better player than Nance. Not like I'm saying trade Nance for Randy Foye here. Also Bradley isn't significantly older either. 2 years.

The issue is people don't recognize how insanely good Bradley is on defense.

He is a perfect fit with Russell & Clarkson. And even better if Ingram is going to assume some playmaking duties

Nonetheless, was just saying someone I'd love to have here because he's a great fit even in the long term

Last edited:
One thing about Dlo
I love the confidence but he has a lot to work on

Can't get by his man and can't create his own shot without a screen, it's a big detriment

He had the ball with the offense sputtering and clock winding down and tried to create something but couldn't, ended up launching a long 3

Elite PGs, you need a bucket, they can blow by their man and draw a second defender or create for themselves

Something he'll need to work on

But he's money on that midrange game coming off a screen with the defender trailing, a la CP3
I don't think I've ever seen Steph "blow by" his man. Dudes got handles, quickness, and defenders need to respect his shot.

Dlo will never have that lateral ability but he is crafty as hell with his dribble and ball fakes. They aren't getting him anywhere right now but IMO once he gets more NBA experience he will be able to get where he wants to on the floor. I'd like to see him probe in the paint more ala TP or Nash. 

Last edited:
I forgot who it was but they said something about Russell.

Russell doesn't have elite speed, but he isn't slow either. He plays the game slow because he does not rush. Whereas someone like Westbrook plays the game very fast, and is always in a rush. DLo is trying to set things up, and uses his body instead to get him where he needs to be.

He does have the handle to get himself open.

But Russell was actually pretty good last year in ISO play. 5% of his offense, 1.08 PPP, 94 percentile.

Last edited:

Yeah they tried that and thought they had a 3 & D type player when they drafted Anthony Brown in the 2nd round and now he's gone.

I forgot who it was but they said something about Russell.

Russell doesn't have elite speed, but he isn't slow either. He plays the game slow because he does not rush. Whereas someone like Westbrook plays the game very fast, and is always in a rush. DLo is trying to set things up, and uses his body instead to get him where he needs to be.

He does have the handle to get himself open.

But Russell was actually pretty good last year in ISO play. 5% of his offense, 1.08 PPP, 94 percentile.
Yeah, Russell always reminded me of a PG version of Paul Pierce. 
Not super athletic, looks slow, but is crafty as hell. 

Dlo's ability to change his speeds makes his top end speed irrelevant.

Last edited:
Laker fam wheres the best place to bet on games $$$ online...i live in killa cali if that matters...im thinking of investing lol

Dlo's ability to change his speeds makes his top end speed irrelevant.

I agree for the most part.
His change of pace dribbling skills are definitely on point, his quickness is there (not elite by any means, but good enough for a starting PG - definitely top tier if we have to label it).

But, i wouldnt say its completely irrelevant.
That explosive top end speed is relevant in fast breaks. Its what leads to Westbrook successfully scoring on such a high percentage of his fast breaks from one end of the court to the other, so it definitely helps to have break away speed past the transition defense on fast breaks. His is definitely not great.

Im just being fully objective. Its GOOD, but not great. Definitely not top-tier end to end speed.

Will it hurt? Not really, hes a shooter so all in all he'll get his points one way or another.
Is it completely irrelevant? No, its still relevant. Fast break opportunities are key in todays NBA.
That extra split second of top end speed and quickness is the difference between a beautiful fast break lay-up past the defense, or having your **** stuffed against the backboard by LeBron...Iggy style.

All in all though, I agree that it doesnt make a HUGE difference. In more aspects than not, he has enough quickness to be fully effective for us.

TLDR- it would be nice if he was faster and quicker. but it's cool.

I'm still more concerned about playmaking and passing- never been this excited to see LA play in a while...

Back
Top Bottom