**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

11 other players on this team.

We have talked about one at a nauseating rate because one person has derailed this entire thread...

Yikes.

Again you listing Francis , Penny, etc. just further drives home the point that all star talents are very few even amongst the top 5 picks in any given draft. From D'Lo's draft those players for the moment look like KAT and Zinger while Russell is in the next tier with the likes of Turner and Booker.

I've said at nauseum I don't believe D'Lo is going to be an All-Star so no the past 5 games have not changed my mind.
I think we both agree on the fact that all star talents are "very few even among the top 5 picks in any given draft."

But my standards for DLo and the Lakers are much higher than others. So if the Lakers picked DLo ahead of Porzingis who we all can agree will be an All-Star sooner than later, then I must hold the Lakers and DLo accountable to All-Star quality product out there on the floor from their top pick.

And if DLo doesn't meet those expectations sooner rather than later, then I will lean in the direction of trading him in a package only if we can get an All-Star player in return.

It's been a rare occurrence when the Lakers have had a top 3 pick in years past. And every time we've had a top 3 pick (e.g.,Magic, Worthy), we never missed. 

Last edited:

We have talked about one at a nauseating rate because one person has derailed this entire thread...

Yikes.

don't nobody wanna talk about Huertas dawg....I tried a few days ago :rofl:

But for real, I'm really curious what happens with T-Rob when Nance gets back. He's been solid and Nance has had 3 knee injuries. Wonder if we'll dangle Jr with Deng to see if anyone bites.

Well the flaw is in your expectation not necessarily his play. Lakers didn't evaluate Zinger properly but that's in the past.

The moment you stop expecting a superstar out of D'Lo and just expect he'll likely be an above average starting PG, the less you'll be pulling your hair out at every turn.

Yikes.
don't nobody wanna talk about Huertas dawg....I tried a few days ago
roll.gif

But for real, I'm really curious what happens with T-Rob when Nance gets back. He's been solid and Nance has had 3 knee injuries. Wonder if we'll dangle Jr with Deng to see if anyone bites.
Nance has a lot more upside than T-Rob and should not be traded. Nance is not expendable imo.

If anything, the Lakers were able to showcase T-Rob, thus giving Robinson more value towards a trade package that could include Deng, Mozgov, Young, or Lou.

Last edited:
don't nobody wanna talk about Huertas dawg....I tried a few days ago :rofl:

I know Mitch came out and said he didn't plan to be active in the trade market, but I don't believe him. Long term going forward a couple of these players have to be moved.

Nick young is on the last year of his deal but seems more want Lou Will since his contract is only 7 mil a year for 2 more years I believe.

I love how nick has played this year but seems like this is your typical contract year player trying to maximize how much he will get.

Well the flaw is in your expectation not necessarily his play. Lakers didn't evaluate Zinger properly but that's in the past.

The moment you stop expecting a superstar out of D'Lo and just expect he'll likely be an above average starting PG, the less you'll be pulling your hair out at every turn.
His play of late has been fine. Like I've said before countless times, my expectation from DLo stems from his attitude and approach to the game not so much his skills. Although there is a lot to be desired from his lack of quickness and ability to get by bigs, penetrate at will, and be a superb playmaker.

My issue with DLo has always been his lack of killer instinct and aggression on the floor, and his nonchalant play on both sides of the ball. IMO, there is no "flaw" in those expectations because DLo has always been touted as THE "leader" on his teams throughout H.S. and College.

And I will NEVER expect anything less than DLo being a superstar because once again, the Lakers AT NUMBER 2, should always be drafting a superstar. Whether it's in 1979, 1982, 2015, 2016, or 2099.

But if he turns out to just be an above average player BUT cannot be the type of leader that can lead this team to playoff wins and eventually a title, then I'm all for trading him. Just like Van Exel turned out to be an above average player who was extremely clutch but turned out NOT to be the type of floor leader the Lakers needed when they acquired Shaq therefore Lakers parted ways and picked up Ron Harper, Brian Shaw instead.

Last edited:
Why should the Lakers draft be drafting a Superstar at 2 when there's been like 1 in thr past 15 years in KD? I could see if they were picking 1st. Magic and Worthy were #1 picks, Kobe was #13. I'm not following. If it's clearly only maybe one transcendent talent going into any given draft, which is what a superstar how would, you expect to get that player at no. 2?

An above average PG is good enough to contribute to a winning team. Especially if BI pans out like I think he is.

Last edited:
 Nance has a lot more upside than T-Rob and should not be traded. Nance is not expendable imo.

If anything, the Lakers were able to showcase T-Rob, thus giving Robinson more value towards a trade package that could include Deng, Mozgov, Young, or Lou.
nobody is that enticed by T-rob to take on deng or moz...

Mitch has gone on record saying he likes the team we have and would like to see where it can go

there are pros/cons to trading either NY or Lou...id prefer to see them stay. 

but agree that Nance is untouchable, dont care about previous injuries. 

I think the warriors might be interested in a Rob/Moz package. They were linked with Moz during fa along with the spurs. Only thing is what would they give up?

Moz can't even be a rim protector for us, why would either of them take on that horrible deal now?

Why should the Lakers draft be drafting a Superstar at 2 when there's been like 1 in thr past 15 years in KD? I could see if they were picking 1st. Magic and Worthy were #1 picks, Kobe was #13. I'm not following. If it's clearly only maybe one transcendent talent going into any given draft, which is what a superstar how would, you expect to get that player at no. 2?

An above average PG is good enough to contribute to a winning team. Especially if BI pans out like I think he is.
That's the whole point of drafting in the top 3 - hoping to land a superstar and one of the cream of the crop players in college. 

Once again, even if DLo is "above average," until he PROVES ME WRONG about him and shows me he has the killer instinct to consistently lead this team (as the point guard) to wins and improvement, and eventually the playoffs and the title, then I won't be satisfied. 

What separates "superstars" from "above average" a lot of times is the mental makeup of the player, his mindset, his ability to get his teammates to perform at higher levels. 

There's been a large number of failures at number 1 as well, so its not like it's a given either that you'll land a superstar player at number 1. Goes both ways. In any case, if you're drafting in the top 3, the EXPECTATION of a team's GM is that you will land a franchise cornerstone, or in other words, a future All-Star.

Moz can't even be a rim protector for us, why would either of them take on that horrible deal now?

I mean were both teams not linked with Mozgov before Mitch swooped in? I'm taking that to mean they have or at least had interest.

Last edited:
You keep moving the goalposts fam. Top 3, top 5, of course the goal is to draft an all star but even as you've acknowledged that's few and far in between. Let me ask you this, would you consider Mike Conley an above average PG and a cornerstone for the Grizzlies?

I think the warriors might be interested in a Rob/Moz package. They were linked with Moz during fa along with the spurs. Only thing is what would they give up?
The best move the Warriors can make in order to counter Cleveland's acquisition of Korver is to find a way to get Serge Ibaka, who fills so many needs for them. Rumor out of the Bay Area is that GSW will offer Livingston and Pachulia to ORL for Ibaka. Why would ORL do this? That's the million dollar question.

GSW doesn't need a true center because CLE doesn't have a true center. Plus GSW already has McGee off the bench. Starter for starter, this would be one hell of a matchup in the Finals - Curry vs Irving. K. Thompson vs Korver. Durant vs Lebron. Green vs Love. Ibaka vs T. Thompson.

GSW is only concerned about CLE imo and thus will only make moves with the Cavs in mind just like the 49ers and Cowboys were making moves to one-up the other during the 90s and the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s. Celtics get D.J. Lakers get Byron. Celtics get Walton. Lakers get Thompson. So on so forth.

I mean were both teams not linked with Mozgov before Mitch swooped in? I'm taking that to mean they have or at least had interest.

They found much cheaper alternatives and have the top 2 records in the league, I would think whatever interest they supposedly had is gone, especially after actually seeing what he can do is gone.

GSW doesn't need a true center because CLE doesn't have a true center. Plus GSW already has McGee off the bench. Starter for starter, this would be one hell of a matchup in the Finals - Curry vs Irving. K. Thompson vs Korver. Durant vs Lebron. Green vs Love. 
korver gonna be playing behind Smith and Iman though....come playoffs

Last edited:
You keep moving the goalposts fam. Top 3, top 5, of course the goal is to draft an all star but even as you've acknowledged that's few and far in between. Let me ask you this, would you consider Mike Conley an above average PG and a cornerstone for the Grizzlies?
Dude, seriously...top 3, top 5... same damn thing. It's common sense. You among the first 1-5 picks, you EXPECT to draft one of the top 5 prospects IN THE WORLD fam.

Of course Mike Conley is an above average PG. And based on the contract MEM signed him to, it's clear THEY believe he's a cornerstone player for that franchise. I honestly don't think he's a superstar in the likes of the Westbrooks, Currys, Lillards, and Irvings of the world, but he's definitely more than serviceable.

Here's the problem with Conley though...he will NEVER lead the Grizzlies to the championship as long as he's in MEM, which btw is a franchise that does NOT know anything about building championship teams. That's the difference and hence my point...the Lakers are ONLY and should only be concerned with star players who have the physical and mental makeup to lead them to titles.

Last edited:

GSW doesn't need a true center because CLE doesn't have a true center. Plus GSW already has McGee off the bench. Starter for starter, this would be one hell of a matchup in the Finals - Curry vs Irving. K. Thompson vs Korver. Durant vs Lebron. Green vs Love. 
korver gonna be playing behind Smith and Iman though....come playoffs
To start the game yes, but in the 4th quarter last 6 minutes of a playoff game? I'd go with Korver over Smith/Shumpert any day of the week.

Last edited:

Dude, seriously...top 3, top 5... same damn thing. It's common sense. You among the first 1-5 picks, you expect to draft the one of the top 5 prospects IN THE WORLD fam.

Of course Mike Conley is an above average PG. And based on the contract MEM signed him to, it's clear THEY believe he's a cornerstone player for that franchise. I honestly don't think he's a superstar in the likes of the Westbrooks, Currys, Lillards, and Irvings of the world, but he's definitely more than serviceable.

Here's the problem with Conley though...he will NEVER lead the Grizzlies to the championship as long as he's in MEM, which btw is a franchise that does NOT know anything about building championship teams. That's the difference and hence my point...the Lakers are ONLY and should only be concerned with star players who have the physical and mental makeup to lead them to titles.
And I'm telling you D'Lo may not have to be that guy either. He's not the only #2 pick on the roster. 
wink.gif
. And D'Lo now isn't even one of the top 5 prospects? Interesting. I think it's pretty clear that he's in the top 5 of his draft along with KAT, Zinger, Turner and Booker. I'd be more than pleased if he turns out to be Conley. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom