Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

To me, a musical genius is someone like Jimi Hendrix. The man learned how to play on a one stringed ukelele when he was 13 and played Elvis covers.

One string b.

Then when he did get a full guitar, it was right handed. Jimi was left handed. He flipped the guitar and learned to play it in reverse. ALL WHILE also learnign to play with his right hand as well.

He was self taught. He taught himself to play with one string, then how to play right handed.

:lol: So don't tell me Kanye is a musical genius b. Especially considering half of his rhymes aren't his, and half of his production was a group effort. Kanye didn't invent new sounds. Kanye took elements from other genre's and incorporated them into hip hop. He wasn't the first to sample a soul beat, he wasn't the first to experiment with 808's, and he wasn't the first to dabble in electronic, acid house, and punk sounds. He just packaged that **** up and made it new to YOU :lol:

Trent Reznor, Daft Punk, 808 State.... There have been prople doing these sounds long before Kanye. He didn't make this stuff up. He borrowed that style.

He made good music, great music. But a lot of ya'll be trippin with the "genius" term getting thrown around. Just like how once upon a time everyone was calling Lil Wayne the best rapper alive.

Last edited:
To me, a musical genius is someone like Jimi Hendrix. The man learned how to play on a one stringed ukelele when he was 13 and played Elvis covers.

One string b.

Then when he did get a full guitar, it was right handed. Jimi was left handed. He flipped the guitar and learned to play it in reverse. ALL WHILE also learnign to play with his right hand as well.

He was self taught. He taught himself to play with one string, then how to play right handed.

:lol: So don't tell me Kanye is a musical genius b. Especially considering half of his rhymes aren't his, and half of his production was a group effort. Kanye didn't invent new sounds. Kanye took elements from other genre's and incorporated them into hip hop. He wasn't the first to sample a soul beat, he wasn't the first to experiment with 808's, and he wasn't the first to dabble in electronic, acid house, and punk sounds. He just packaged that **** up and made it new to YOU :lol:

Trent Reznor, Daft Punk, 808 State.... There have been prople doing these sounds long before Kanye. He didn't make this stuff up. He borrowed that style.

He made good music, great music. But a lot of ya'll be trippin with the "genius" term getting thrown around. Just like how once upon a time everyone was calling Lil Wayne the best rapper alive.
I am talking about a genius in his genre. A genius is a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect.

Hendrix and Prince and others like them are musical prodigies, that's beyond genius.And even many musical icons and geniuses had whole teams behind them.

808s and Heartbreak is the work of an advanced artist, not moving too far away from the hip-hop sound we associate with Ye, nor recreating the work he’d been involved with previously, but still pioneering something fresh.

You cannot deny his influence on hip hop and even pop culture.

Kanye one of if not the best rap producers of all time. His lyrics are def not all his, but his flow is what separates him anyway. We can all agree that all the stuff he's said is bat **** crazy, but don't come at his musical accomplishments.

808s and Heartbreak is the work of an advanced artist, not moving too far away from the hip-hop sound we associate with Ye, nor recreating the work he’d been involved with previously, but still pioneering something fresh.

Let’s make sure we’re giving credit to the likes of Andre 3000, Pharrell (including NERD) and Cudi etc. for this as well.

I am talking about a genius in his genre. A genius is a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect.

Hendrix and Prince and others like them are musical prodigies, that's beyond genius.And even many musical icons and geniuses had whole teams behind them.

I'm not denying his influence. But having an influence and being a genius are 2 completely different things.

And a musical genius is a musical genius. It transcends genre. If you have to box his "genius" into only the realm of hip hop, is he really a genius? There are plenty of exceptionally intelligent and creative people, but those aren't the only qualifiers for making you a genius. A genius doesn't have to crash award shows and have 30 minute rants at their concerts to force feed people into thinking they are a genius.

Kanye overcompensates, and a large crowd of people drink the koolaid he's been serving.

If you truly feel he is a genius, then cool. I can't tell you how to feel. But from my point of view, he has great ideas, sub par rhymes, and a great team to help him package it all together into a polished product.

Kanye one of if not the best rap producers of all time. His lyrics are def not all his, but his flow is what separates him anyway. We can all agree that all the stuff he's said is bat **** crazy, but don't come at his musical accomplishments.

His flow wasn't his.

He went from sounding like Cons & Rhymefest to sounding like Big Sean and 2 Chainz to whatever he sounds like now.

His musical accomplishments are set in stone, but just like I said above, lets not overcompensate for his achievements as well. People try to rate Kanye a 10/10 and sit him along the likes of Prince, Michael Jackson, Beethoven, etc.

There's nothing wrong with Kanye not being the greatest being to ever walk the earth. Its like when someone opposes that SUBJECTIVE opinion, the britney-esque stans come out.

4de9t.jpg

Kanye has proven time and time again that he's a trash person, but he does have an amazing talent. But lets not go overboard.

Last edited:
I get it, but it's true.

Kinda like how Mayweather can't read, but is a genius in the sport of boxing.

No. Sports is a craft. Music is an art.
You can be objectively good at a craft. Art will always be a matter of opinion.
You can point out Kanye's record sales or whatever, but record sales don't reflect how genius someone is. If that was the case, then Michael Bay would be one hell of a genius film director.

By the way, does the "genius" musician Kanye West play any instrument? Let alone play it well? I never followed him like many of this forum and I seriously don't know.

Back
Top Bottom