Justin Timberlake Thread: The 20/20 Experience Due 3/19, Link to "Suit & Tie" ft. Jay-Z on 1st Page

JT has pretty much gave life back to Timbo, thought dude would of never came through with heat but i was wrong.

neither of those albums are classic.
Sorry but channel orange is absolutely a modern classic at this point. I just wanted to point out that IMO the 2 albums should be compared similarly.
channel orange is good, maybe very good even, but modern classic?

if EVERYTHING'S a classic, then what does the word even mean anymore?  not every album can be classic/the best.

i understand the hyperbole,but people get carried away.  Channel Orange is good.  It's not a classic.  you won't be playing channel orange heavily in ten years.

I know human nature is to be caught up in the moment, but I feel like a lot of you want this album to a lot better than it is.

It's good.

But album of the year??????!?!?!?!

This isn't even as good as FS/LS.  Like not nearly.
FS/LS was so great because it was like a fine wine. With each listen and with time, it got better and better. JT and Timbo were already stars, but this established a "sound" for Pop music and the future. Songs and albums today still reference that sound and style. FS/LS was a story (just like 20/20 experience). Songs transformed and blended into the next track - What did Channel Orange do? Used commercials and static and intro/outros.

I truly believe this is an album that will be listened to down the road for most people. And IMHO, the true classic albums are good on first listen and get better with each listen. They test you.. mentally and sonically. Any classic album pushed the limits and changed the way you listen to it.

Hmm okay then. I really don't wanna thread jack but ill just say channel orange was a major major album within the record industry from the marketing, the tumblr posts, the early release x Fallon appearance, and last but not least the quality of the music. People in the industry are still talking about that album and will always anticipate his new stuff because of it.

This album is basically in the same genre and is similarly a "moment" album. I like this JT album a lot, but it's not straight blowing me away. Timbaland is a genius with JT but there are a lot of moments where the production swallows JT or just overdoes it a little.
It was huge from a marketing standpoint but the quality of music was NOT there the whole way through.  It's a good debut album.  no one's discrediting that.  You just need to stop with this modern classic stuff.

something can be good without being an all time great. it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

i understand the hyperbole,but people get carried away.  Channel Orange is good.  It's not a classic.  you won't be playing channel orange heavily in ten years.
100% agreed. Great album. Don't see myself playing it in 2023. Nor do I see it having radio play in 2023.

Bro I didn't say everything is a classic - I am referring to one album that many people agree with me in saying is basically a modern classic. I'm sorry but young music heads are way too shook to call something a classic - there is lots of information and music content out there so that one can actually objectively say a work of art is more meaningful than another. Read some of the more well-written, highly thought out reviews of Channel Orange written by folks with way more perspective on music history than anyone on NT including me, and then get back to me.

This thread is about 20/20 though, which is currently a light 7 for me on the needle drop scale

Last edited:
Bro I didn't say everything is a classic - I am referring to one album that many people agree with me in saying is basically a modern classic. I'm sorry but young music heads are way too shook to call something a classic - there is lots of information and music content out there so that one can actually objectively say a work of art is more meaningful than another. Read some of the more well-written, highly thought out reviews of Channel Orange written by folks with way more perspective on music history than anyone on NT including me, and then get back to me.

This thread is about 20/20 though, which is currently a light 7 for me on the needle drop scale
without getting too much into how i'm not young, i studied musical composition, and i also just appreciate music, i'll say i think i'm qualified enough to say channel orange is not as good as certain previously ordained classic albums.  was channel orange even the best vocal album from last year?  where do you draw the line on the classic designation?

same question goes to people calling this jt album a classic.

super rich kids is classic?

Last edited:
By calling Channel Orange a Classic you're basically saying it's on the same level as Off The Wall or Thriller

Yea Timbo needed JT more than vice versa
I think they "need" each other equally.

We all thought Timbo was washed.  It seems that in reality he got bored/complacent.  Hooking up again with JT got his juices flowing and he obviously still has it.

I can't see Justin making this good of a "comeback" album with any producer other than Tim (or even remotely close).

I'm a huge Neptunes stan (and the highlights from Justified were indeed the Neptunes' tracks), but no way in hell do I see a strictly Neptunes produced album in 2013 being better than this.  

As much as this pains me to admit, Pharrell lost it quite some time ago.  I'd be more than willing to be proven wrong, but I don't see P resurrecting himself in the fashion that Tim just did.

That's really fine that you're not so big on channel orange, it really is. I know people who will tell you Vol 3 is jay-z's best album, whatever. I guess I'm trying to say channel orange is maybe the closest album we've gotten in a while to being a sort of consensus, widely-loved and respected album in the industry. This JT album will undoubtedly be put in similar contexts and all I wanted to say was in that case, it should be compared to CO

^ I didn't want to name older albums like "What's Going On" because classics of different generations should be judged according to their generation.  but Channel Orange on par with the best albums of the 2000s and on? 

I haven't listening to this new album yet, but seeing as how JT prior to this effort only released 2 solo albums with the first mainly being produced by the Neptunes and the second being produced by Timbo, I would say JT needed and needs Timbo more than the other way around.

We all thought Timbo was washed.  It seems that in reality he got bored/complacent.  Hooking up again with JT got his juices flowing and he obviously still has it.

I can't see Justin making this good of a "comeback" album with any producer other than Tim (or even remotely close).

I'm a huge Neptunes stan (and the highlights from Justified were indeed the Neptunes' tracks), but no way in hell do I see a strictly Neptunes produced album in 2013 being better than this.  

As much as this pains me to admit, Pharrell lost it quite some time ago.  I'd be more than willing to be proven wrong, but I don't see P resurrecting himself in the fashion that Tim just did.
Perfectly stated. I was pretty much going to write the exact same thing. Timbo showed he still has it because I definitely thought he lost with those wack *** Shock Value albums, but this has really shown me that with the right inspiration Timbo is still the producer I've always enjoyed.

And the comments on Pharrell are spot on. Dude is not the same. For me Neptunes are better than Pharrell by leaps and bounds. He needs Chad back in his life.

Yeah but EVERY producer would want to work with JT

Not sure EVERY artist would want to work with Timbo in 2013

Either way it works for both parties

Yeah but EVERY producer would want to work with JT

Not sure EVERY artist would want to work with Timbo in 2013

Either way it works for both parties
Again, Justin has made 3 solo albums, 2 of which were produced by Timberland solely, that's over 60 percent.  While Timberland has produced for many other artists.  With that being said do you still believe Timbo needed Justin more??

Last edited:
Lovin' the album. I'm not really feelin' 'Let The Groove In' imo though, but I every other track i truly feel is :smokin

Again, Justin has made 3 solo albums, 2 of which were produced by Timberland solely, that's over 60 percent.  While Timberland has produced for many other artists.  With that being said do you still believe Timbo needed Justin more??

I'm fully aware of history

Essentially JT used two different production teams for two different albums considered classics by many so who says he couldn't do it with a 3rd?

Meanwhile Timbo has been trying to make Shock Value 3 for like two years

But again the album works for both parties

Pharrell hasn't lost it he is just conforming right now. I'v had the pleasure of talking to him about beat and music period. I even told him that they MADE justin which he denied but I think the Neptunes both- Chad and Pharrell are tailor made for Justin and could give him something classic!

Too early to say how good the album really is...but on first impressions it's really nice. I feel like he was able to really show off his vocals on some of these songs moreso than the other albums.

Spaceship Coupe, That Girl, and Blue Ocean Floor are my jams right now. Solid album overall.

I'm fully aware of history

Essentially JT used two different production teams for two different albums considered classics by many so who says he couldn't do it with a 3rd?

Seeing is believing champ.

Seeing is believing champ.

Right so if Timbo gave these beats to Chris Brown they'd have the same impact?

JT's return was gonna be big no matter who he worked with

Knowledge is power champ

Now move along album is sick for both parties

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom