Just Graduated College and My Parents Don't Think I should Work.

Pretty much.  My mom is guilty of similar behavior. At this point her offering (insisting, really) that she cover some of my expenses is unacceptable to me.  I feel bad enough living in her house rent free until I finish nursing school. I know she's trying to look out for me, but at this point it's hurting more than it's helping.  Just makes me feel like a little kid. 
mean.gif
How much money will you owe in loans once you're done with school?
Depends on where I transfer to for my BSN, really.  Over $10K for sure.

Might be getting tuition reimbursement from my job next year, though.  If that's the case, I'm out.

Last edited:
He just graduated, after 16 years of school I think he could chill for a min if he's struggling (2 or 3 months). Make sure you tell your parents you appreciate the opportunity they gave you. I know a lot of cats who dread the last day they get kicked out their campus apt because they have nowhere to go.

Depends on where I transfer to for my BSN, really.  Over $10K for sure.

Might be getting tuition reimbursement from my job next year, though.  If that's the case, I'm out.

Reason I asked is because you're working towards a goal where if you succeed you'll be able to attain financial stability and sustain yourself. I'm sure your folks realize this and are down to help you however you can. No shame in that!

I think for men in our 20's we have the need to do things ourselves. In this society this is how we(men) become validated. But with the way the economy has been going along with how companies found they could downsize and essentially force one person to do the jobs or 2 or 3 people, depending on the field finding a job has become harder. Add to the fact that the degree requirements have increased because of increased competition, people are having to stay in school longer which can have a big impact on someone's finances. In most cases the old adage that when you're 17-18 you have to go off to college, graduate then get a job and your own place in many instances is not a reality. How many people do we know that moved out at 18 and had to move back in a year later. How many people did things the "right" way and when they graduated were unable to find a job in their field and had to move in with family while working at Starbucks?

I agreed with the notion that the OP's family is setting him up for failure. But if you're making real moves towards the goal of financial stability and paying your fair share where you can I don't see the problem with getting help from your family along the way. That's what they're suppose to do.

Last edited:
The purpose of going to college was to get a job when you were done. You don't go to college to "ease" into the workforce later. 

The purpose of going to college was to get a job when you were done. You don't go to college to "ease" into the workforce later. 

Well if that's the case college must be a terrible investment because most people who've graduated in the last 3 years don't have degree requiring jobs :lol:

On a completely different note, why the heck would you ever want to get married before you live with somebody? That's like researching a car then buying it without test driving and just hoping it works out :lol:

I still wake up fairly early; 9:30 - 10; granted I slept in today. I cut the grass or do some chores, check my email, browse jobs/internet, eat, roll one, talk to my parents (Both work from home). By 1:30 my gf usually calls me on her break to see if we can meet up or chill at the crib when she gets off. If she comes over my pops buys a bottle and we watch movies and drink. On the weekends If I'm not out of town helping my dad with some repairs on one of the properties, I usually chill with my gf and her parents.

Sounds like you got it made OP lol.

But on the real, just get a job somewhat related in your field for the experience while staying at home to stack your paper, or even volunteer work. I heard that looks better on your resume instead of nothing for x amount of years. But If you feel the need to jump into the "real world" your parents having rentals in other cities can help you a lot if you can convince them it's a good step in your future.

Dat silver spoon. If your parents got it like that might as well.

Personally paying for college myself receiving very little aid from my family, and they straight up told me when I finished undergraduate its time to go.

I'll play the devils advocate and agree with your parents. If they want you to chill with them for awhile, OK. Save money, build your accounts up, and by at least 23-24 you need to be on your own.

Well if that's the case college must be a terrible investment because most people who've graduated in the last 3 years don't have degree requiring jobs
laugh.gif

On a completely different note, why the heck would you ever want to get married before you live with somebody? That's like researching a car then buying it without test driving and just hoping it works out
laugh.gif
Whether or not college is a good investment is a whole other debate. What I meant by my original statement though was the end all purpose of attending college is to acquire a job. Whether someone has a "Degree requiring Job" or not is here nor there. Being an Abercrombie and Fitch store manager isn't what most would consider a "degree requiring job" however Abercrombie will not hire anyone to be a store manager without a bachelors degree. With that being said I'm not here to argue who has a job who doesn't or to prove nor disprove any anecdotal evidence anyone presents. I'm merely stating the primary purpose of college as it's currently constructed is to fulfill a resume requirement in order to land the person a job there upon completion of said degree. 

Last edited:
Your parents are probably just telling you that because they know you won't be able to get a job with a poli sci bachelors degree anyway.

So what do you do all day? just curious

I'm entering my senior year and i am in a similar predicament once i finish..
I still wake up fairly early; 9:30 - 10; granted I slept in today. I cut the grass or do some chores, check my email, browse jobs/internet, eat, roll one, talk to my parents (Both work from home). By 1:30 my gf usually calls me on her break to see if we can meet up or chill at the crib when she gets off. If she comes over my pops buys a bottle and we watch movies and drink. On the weekends If I'm not out of town helping my dad with some repairs on one of the properties, I usually chill with my gf and her parents.
Op there is nothing wrong with your lifestyle whatsoever.

Don't let other people put pressure on you "You're lazy, real life is gonna hit you in the face" blah blah.. some of them are just bitter/jealous that they didn't have the same opportunity and their fam kicked them out. If you have a free place to stay and everything is taken care of for you, why would you be rushing to leave? That's the benefit of having successful parents, don't take it for granted but by all means enjoy it.

It's not like you're 40 years old or something on some Failure to Launch ****. You just graduated college, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to chill for a few years if your parents don't mind. Take as much time as you need to relax, clear your head, and take stock of who you wanna be. You don't have to follow anyone's predetermined idea of how your life should play out.

Don't let other people put pressure on you "You're lazy, real life is gonna hit you in the face" blah blah.. some of them are just bitter/jealous that they didn't have the same opportunity and their fam kicked them out. If you have a free place to stay and everything is taken care of for you, why would you be rushing to leave? That's the benefit of having successful parents, don't take it for granted but by all means enjoy it.

It's not like you're 40 years old or something on some Failure to Launch ****. You just graduated college, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to chill for a few years if your parents don't mind. Take as much time as you need to relax, clear your head, and take stock of who you wanna be. You don't have to follow anyone's predetermined idea of how your life should play out.

I'm here with it

Whether or not college is a good investment is a whole other debate. What I meant by my original statement though was the end all purpose of attending college is to acquire a job. Whether someone has a "Degree requiring Job" or not is here nor there. Being an Abercrombie and Fitch store manager isn't what most would consider a "degree requiring job" however Abercrombie will not hire anyone to be a store manager without a bachelors degree. With that being said I'm not here to argue who has a job who doesn't or to prove nor disprove any anecdotal evidence anyone presents. I'm merely stating the primary purpose of college as it's currently constructed is to fulfill a resume requirement in order to land the person a job there upon completion of said degree. 

Sarcasm bro..I wasn't that serious.

I was just referring to that report about how half of recent grads are unemployed or in "non-degree requiring jobs". Wasn't tryna start a debate.

Sarcasm bro..I wasn't that serious.

I was just referring to that report about how half of recent grads are unemployed or in "non-degree requiring jobs". Wasn't tryna start a debate.
My bad didn't realize you were being sarcastic. You never know on NT .
laugh.gif

All of this. If your parents are well off and you live in a nice house etc., take advantage of it while you figure your life out.  

Back
Top Bottom