Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Does being employed while looking for a job hurt you?
Serious question

I work part time right now but i want to get an internship or job more related to my major
i feel like having the job would make other employers think I'm a job hopper.

My friend and i recently submitted resumes to a big company. Resume format was similar but he got a call and i didn't and tbh, i had the better GPA and stats. Only difference was that he was unemployed at the time. 

Honestly it all depends on the HR person reviewing your resume. I used to be manager at Fedex and sometimes I would help the HR rep with vetting Resumes its funny sometimes how they are picked. I looked for experience, while she was checking for education and how long the person was at there last or current job. We both picked 5 i liked and 5 she liked and thats how we got our interview pool.

People really need to start applying to jobs to gain experience and not think about the money (if you dont have any major bills to pay).

Fresh out of college and expecting a 45k salary in an administrative position? No way.

Take what you can get for $10-11 and build your resume with experience.

You'll definitely notice a change from employers calling you back after you build some experience.

Good luck.

this.. took an unpaid internship which looks good on resume and was able to network. actually worked with my supervisor for a bit with her new company.

had an interview initially set up this week but lady emailed and said they are going with an internal candidate. asked for the day off at current job so i could do this interview :smh:

what sites have ya been going on? anyone on or use linkedin for job hunting?

man if i had known its paying 13 an hour i woulda applied for aldi. amc straight so far though. going through paid training this week and all the other co-workers seems chill so far.

People really need to start applying to jobs to gain experience and not think about the money (if you dont have any major bills to pay).

Fresh out of college and expecting a 45k salary in an administrative position? No way.

You'll definitely notice a change from employers calling you back after you build some experience.

Good luck.
This the route I may have to take, most of the jobs I've applied to told me I lack experience and don't have any background. Now the toughest part is looking for a place who wants to actually take you in to gain experience aka entry level type positions

Check out temp agencies in your area. Def helped me in past years. 14 hr. paid every week. I was cool with that for some Manuel labor

Good luck.

I swear I was just thinking this. I would like to migrate from my current position to IT, but that's not going to happen unless I'm willing to take a pay cut for a minute, gain experience, and then achieve the pay rate I would like. I've accepted this and decided that this is what I'm going to have to do, after my wife completes school in a year.

I'm a senior in college (molecular biology) and have been looking for a job all year so that I don't graduate jobless. The response has not been promising. I have been offered $10 an hour positions as a lab technician. While better then nothing, I couldn't help but feel I could do better. I have decided to prolong my college career and grab a BS in computer science. Definitely gonna be interning sometime soon.

Good luck out there fellas

I'm a senior in college (molecular biology) and have been looking for a job all year so that I don't graduate jobless. The response has not been promising. I have been offered $10 an hour positions as a lab technician. While better then nothing, I couldn't help but feel I could do better. I have decided to prolong my college career and grab a BS in computer science. Definitely gonna be interning sometime soon.

A computer science degree will get you a lot more than 10/hour. So good choice. All of IT and comp sci friends make at least 20/hour. From what ive seen thats the way to go if you can do it.

A computer science degree will get you a lot more than 10/hour. So good choice. All of IT and comp sci friends make at least 20/hour. From what ive seen thats the way to go if you can do it.

Ive been following this thread for a couple weeks now for obvious reasons but never posted because I didnt want to jinx myself (*shrugs*) for an opportunity that just presented itself last week..

Dude responded to my craigslist reply, got me in for an interview.. i put in work

Had a second interview today and just shook hands and accepted his 14/hr offer.. im uffin AMPED lol

Just wanna thank yall for the good advice and uplifting comments :smokin .. Keep at it my brothas, they cant keep us down forever

when should i call aldi about my app? i gave it on friday it was a "hiring event" if it matters they said if i was gonna be interviewed they would call in a couple days

You guys think 19 going on 20 is really late to get your first job? I'm just wondering how that looks to employers 
nerd.gif

mean.gif

You guys think 19 going on 20 is really late to get your first job? I'm just wondering how that looks to employers :nerd:  :smh:
No it's not late, I had my second job around that age after being out of work from 17-19.
Just constantly be on the look out for better opportunities and check usajobs.gov religiously it's a lot of job ops only requiring a high school diploma hiring at entry level

You guys think 19 going on 20 is really late to get your first job? I'm just wondering how that looks to employers 
nerd.gif

mean.gif
my lady lil sister is 21 and still hasnt had a job 
mean.gif
 .....her lil *** lazy af 

Last edited:
When trying to land job no. 1, I couldn’t stand when they said " you dont have any experience." Well thats cus everyone else thought like you and never gave me the opportunity...

When trying to land job no. 1, I couldn’t stand when they said " you dont have any experience." Well thats cus everyone else thought like you and never gave me the opportunity...
I'm saying tho! 
mean.gif
   Trying to get your first job as a young adult? Oh you need two years experience for this position. 
indifferent.gif

Last edited:
You guys think 19 going on 20 is really late to get your first job? I'm just wondering how that looks to employers :nerd:  :smh:

Not too late, but you can't walk in there expecting 15 an hour when you have no clue on how to even work.

My gf's brother is 21.5 and has never worked a day in his life. He got into bikes (fixies) and at one of the stores that he frequents, they offered him a job and he turned it down :smh:

He's regretting it now...

Last edited:
Not too late, but you can't walk in there expecting 15 an hour when you have no clue on how to even work.

My gf's brother is 21.5 and has never worked a day in his life. He got into bikes (fixies) and at one of the stores that he frequents, they offered him a job and he turned it down
mean.gif

He's regretting it now...
Actually I think I have a job set up making 15 an hour. 
nerd.gif

What's even worse is when you have experience but then you're informed said experience doesn't count because it wasn't after college
indifferent.gif
Wait what the hell?! That has to be illegal in some sort of way. 
mean.gif

I only got 1 year of experience for stocking and need a job that paying more than $8-8.50 in NYC and at this point gonna then down that stupid on call Macy's job and I guess just go to school if I can't find something by the summer.

Now I see why people hit the trap or scam their life away its really BS out here

Well thats cus everyone else thought like you and never gave me the opportunity...

THIS

i'm 23 i've had 4 jobs since i was 16 and they have all ended badly on my end i know thats why i havn't landed more jobs cause my experience

also yall remember i had an interview with goodwill a couple weeks ago, well that store just put another ad up on indeed so i applied again, changed my availability and put 2 other stores in the area lets see what happens, i really want that aldi job though

Last edited:
I have the paperwork, and I'm going do the drug test as soon as this Manchester United game is over...[/quote]

Congrats on the job brother. They are doing drug tests to work at grocery stores now though?

Back
Top Bottom