Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Looking for advice.

Cliffs:
-Worked in public accounting for 2 years, promoter to senior title
-Left cuz public accounting was not for me. Took a step back to a staff level positon (but pay was a big increase) at a private company
-Been at this private company for 1 year
-Got an offer from another company for a senior position with a 28% overall pay increase. Turned it down because I really like where I’m at and people I work with.

I’m coming up on year 4 in this career. I feel our accounting department is really slow on promotions compared to the rest of the administrative team.

I have a monthly meeting with manager of our department in 2 weeks. Should I bring it up that I want the senior title + pay raise to market value?

You've only been at your gig for 1 year.
You got another offer for 30% more, so this means you're wanted.
Try to get another offer and use that as leverage.

I'll just say this: I love my current gig/people I work with, but if I got a 30% more offer from another company, I'd dip.
Companies don't reward loyalty, but I can reward myself with the Jesus chain from that 30% more pay.

Indeed
Linkedin
Monster
Ziprecruiter
CareerBuilder
Climber
Nexxt
Usajobs
Clearancejobs
Startwire
Hirewire

And yea 30% is a no brainer. If you are making 77k now, 30% bump puts you into 6 figs. You can still have lunch, dinner, facetime, groupchat, with your old hommies at the former workplace if they not trying to match that offer

And yea 30% is a no brainer. If you are making 77k now, 30% bump puts you into 6 figs. You can still have lunch, dinner, facetime, groupchat, with your old hommies at the former workplace if they not trying to match that offer

To add to this, your new salary would be the bare minimum salary for any future gigs.
That is your "market value" -- the baseline they have to match.
And companies will usually offer more to hook you.

Example: You're making $77k. You take another gig for 30% more ($100k). Now your next gig has to be $100k+.

So, a recruiter from a company that rejected me just reached out to discuss my background next Monday. Surprised they did that. But I'm happy they did.

Time to beast that phone all and let them know my strengths just like this:

Not sure if brought up, but Amazon is hiring like crazy especially to prepare for the Holidays, no resume, no interview required. Just attend the new hire orientation and take and pass the drug test. They're also raising their wages to $15 in November. And you can opt to their employee text where they tell you if voluntary extra time work.

Not sure if brought up, but Amazon is hiring like crazy especially to prepare for the Holidays, no resume, no interview required. Just attend the new hire orientation and take and pass the drug test. They're also raising their wages to $15 in November. And you can opt to their employee text where they tell you if voluntary extra time work.
A good option if someone needs a job immediately. Not sure if it's the best option as a career.

Questions ...

It's been a few years before I interviewed for a job. Prior to that job, I was in the military and I didnt need to interview.

For the last interview, I shaved my facial hair and put a suit on. Although it was retail and I got the job, I felt like I did to much.

I just received two invites out of 4 resumes that I sent out, which gives me confidence that based on my experience and resume, it seems like I'm desirable.

Anyways, one is for a state job and the other for a local beer manufacturer. Both are managerial position, 1 in an office environment and the other in a warehouse environment. Both jobs pay between 60-80k (based on experience).

Anyways, back to the original question. Suggestions for the attire and presence?

I have 4 different civil service jobs that I have passed examination (Cop, Firefighter, Corrections and Parole Officer) but they havent started the process. Anyone experienced in those fields?

Questions ...

It's been a few years before I interviewed for a job. Prior to that job, I was in the military and I didnt need to interview.

For the last interview, I shaved my facial hair and put a suit on. Although it was retail and I got the job, I felt like I did to much.

I just received two invites out of 4 resumes that I sent out, which gives me confidence that based on my experience and resume, it seems like I'm desirable.

Anyways, one is for a state job and the other for a local beer manufacturer. Both are managerial position, 1 in an office environment and the other in a warehouse environment. Both jobs pay between 60-80k (based on experience).

Anyways, back to the original question. Suggestions for the attire and presence?

I have 4 different civil service jobs that I have passed examination (Cop, Firefighter, Corrections and Parole Officer) but they havent started the process. Anyone experienced in those fields?
I'm still in the train of thought that a suit and tie is proper interview attire. But I may be wrong.

I'm still in the train of thought that a suit and tie is proper interview attire. But I may be wrong.
Me too, but like I mentioned, in retail that was non-existent. Maybe I'm overthinking it as the job I was hired paid 110k and the people I was hiring for paid 12-25 bucks.

Just dont want to look like a damn fool wearing a suit for a warehouse manager position. Or shave for an office job.

You can cake off those hours. Bust ya *** and you’ll go permanent after January. Nice gig if you can drive and don’t like office politics

lol wtf. you passed 28% increase bc you like your work friends?

damn bro lol hopefully the other company sucked & the only thing they had to offer was the 28% increase.

I would of gone from being perfectly content at work and enjoying my day to being stressed out, much higher expectations, and a demanding manager. I already had a job like that before and I left it to come here. It’s why I said no..wasn’t ready to recommit to soul sucking work.

I would of gone from being perfectly content at work and enjoying my day to being stressed out, much higher expectations, and a demanding manager. I already had a job like that before and I left it to come here. It’s why I said no..wasn’t ready to recommit to soul sucking work.
Glad that you were able to realize that. The pay increase isn't always the best option.

There’s no harm in trying. When I was looking to switch careers I made a list of 50 companies in Excel. I emailed them with a short blurb and my resume. I heard back from 6. Went on interviews with 3. Got 1 offer. So yes it works.

Also a few years ago I reached out to this random person on LinkedIn that went to the same college as me (different year didn’t know them) and asked them if they’d be willing to have a phone call with me to chop it up about their job (they worked at the GS warriors). He agreed, we chopped it up, he gave my resume directly to a hiring director after and I got an offer from the Warriors. In retrospect I should of taken that job lol cuz it was 2009, it was a sales job, and that’s the year we got Curry.

There’s no harm in trying. When I was looking to switch careers I made a list of 50 companies in Excel. I emailed them with a short blurb and my resume. I heard back from 6. Went on interviews with 3. Got 1 offer. So yes it works.

Also a few years ago I reached out to this random person on LinkedIn that went to the same college as me (different year didn’t know them) and asked them if they’d be willing to have a phone call with me to chop it up about their job (they worked at the GS warriors). He agreed, we chopped it up, he gave my resume directly to a hiring director after and I got an offer from the Warriors. In retrospect I should of taken that job lol cuz it was 2009, it was a sales job, and that’s the year we got Curry.
Why didn't you take the job?

I mean you go as far as emailing a stranger, having a conversation, having him hand carry your resume, only to turn the job down when is offered?

So why bother in the first place?

Just curious!

I had another offer in hand to go live and teach English abroad. I had quit an enterprise sales job and wasn’t that interested in sales again but the job market was really tough so I was applying for everything and anything after 6 months unemployed.

Made the right decision...lived abroad for 4 years, had so much fun, met my now wife, and refreshed my outlook and energy for life.

I had another offer in hand to go live and teach English abroad. I had quit an enterprise sales job and wasn’t that interested in sales again but the job market was really tough so I was applying for everything and anything after 6 months unemployed.

Made the right decision...lived abroad for 4 years, had so much fun, met my now wife, and refreshed my outlook and energy for life.
Nice ...

Where did you go teach? Had a few friends that did the same and landed jobs in Tokyo and Shanghai. They made good money and had a blast ...

Funny part, neither was English teachers. LoL

Did you have a degree?

Nice ...

Where did you go teach? Had a few friends that did the same and landed jobs in Tokyo and Shanghai. They made good money and had a blast ...

Funny part, neither was English teachers. LoL

Did you have a degree?

Went to South Korea. Yeah, I finished undergrad. It’s a requirement to teach there. It was really great as they paid for housing and there are no US or Korean taxes the first two years. Was able to have a lot of fun and pay down a lot of debt.

Back
Top Bottom