JB Retirement

I will never look at this as the "shoe game". Its not. Its a genuine hobby that really compares to no other. The pretenders never stay around that long and you know when you see them.
This x1000. While there are other things I will buy in abundance, nothing compares to jordans. From watching Mj play, to seeing the new model at the beginning of the season, nothing else compares. It's not just the nostalgia, it's what the shoes meant. To me, no piece of clothing , shoes, or accessories will come close to that feeling you get when you just bought "the new jordans".

This x1000. While there are other things I will buy in abundance, nothing compares to jordans. From watching Mj play, to seeing the new model at the beginning of the season, nothing else compares. It's not just the nostalgia, it's what the shoes meant. To me, no piece of clothing , shoes, or accessories will come close to that feeling you get when you just bought "the new jordans".

You said the operative words. "Seeing MJ play"... Most the cats buying Js today never saw MJ play in a Bulls uniform.

There are a lot of releases in my 20s that I missed out on. I was broke living check to check. 2000-2003 I missed. The only shoe I eventually grabbed from that time was original copper 17s. I had to have those since I saw MJ in person with em. As far as retros go, I missed out on alot. My son, and my bills came first. Well, women got in the way of that also. Yall understand that.

Oh yeah, my mom bought me Obsidian 15s in 2000 as a birthday gift.

There are a lot of releases in my 20s that I missed out on. I was broke living check to check. 2000-2003 I missed. The only shoe I eventually grabbed from that time was original copper 17s. I had to have those since I saw MJ in person with em. As far as retros go, I missed out on alot. My son, and my bills came first. Well, women got in the way of that also. Yall understand that.

I know what you mean.

Honestly, it probably wouldn't matter. Cats in their 30s and up are outside of JBs sales demograogic.

Do teenagers nowadays feel the same about JB as we did though?

It’s going to be a struggle selling $190+ retros all the kids who learned about MJ on Wikipedia. I suppose if O-W was any indication, Nike/JB will throw money at collabs like crazy in the future though.

Do teenagers nowadays feel the same about JB as we did though?

It’s going to be a struggle selling $190+ retros all the kids who learned about MJ on Wikipedia. I suppose if O-W was any indication, Nike/JB will throw money at collabs like crazy in the future though.

I see what you are saying. We shall see I guess. As time goes on, certain consumers do get farther away from the brand. I liked the O-W collab myself. I think the resell is ridiculous though.

This is a WWE reference but I really feel like after the concords, fire red 4s black cement 4, black infrared 6s, i'll pull an undertaker or triple H and only come back for certain releases. ( natural grey 1s, both Fire red 5s with Nike Air, playoff 11s with the lining etc)

I took a long break froJB after the CDP 11/12. I was so disappointed at the quality of the Jordan XIs in that package that I didn’t buy another pair until the space jams was released with the high patent leather cut.

I will probably take another break after the concords release if the Jordan 4s shape is terrible next year

Facts! If you were around in MJs heyday. The shoes will never substitute for actually having WITNESSED MJ pull off these feats. That's why when they compare LeBron to MJ, I bust out laughing.

Definitely agree with you.....I'll be 37 soon....about ready to bow out....witnessing the actual GOAT was something I'll never forget

I say this every year and that ONE release pulls me back in . Bkack Cement 3s and White red 13s got me. I need White Red and taxi 12s and playoff 13s .Then I am officially dunzo. I swear lol

I've definitely slowed down the past few years. Once I finally realized I can only wear Jordan's 3 days a week tops due to my job it was time. The only models I still buy religiously are the xi and iii. Another aspect is the 190+ retail price, it's just too much to be spending every few weeks. Along that line, the price has made Jordan's a bad investment. Not that I was looking to make big money off my collection, but at least i had the comfort of knowing that if I wanted to move a pair I had I was going to make a few bucks or at least break even with a ds pair. Even lightly worn pairs would be break even to losing only a few dollars. Now if I buy a pair, wear them a few times and want to move them, I'm generally out at least 40. It just shows that the msrp is too much and the market is saturated. Which leads me to a another point, there is no shoe that is a true must buy. Back in 01 - 08, you really didn't know if a shoe that was retoed would retro again. I would say the rerelease of the space name in 09 showed me that there was hope for anything to come back. Today, it's a foregone conclusion that pretty much everything will come out again in the future. If you miss a release, you can safely assume to get it next time in a few years (not including limited colabs, etc..). Another thing that soured me is the limitedness of some of the releases nowadays. Back in the LS days, I felt you at least had a chance to grab all the limited run Jordan's. Can't say the same currently. Fortunately, the vast majority of limited releases are dog crap imo, so im not missing out on much. However, it did suck to not be able to get the free throw Line 3s. Sorry for the long post, but all these reasons go into my stepping down, but not completely out of the Jordan scene.

I actually enjoyed reading that thanks, straight from the heart.

Facts! If you were around in MJs heyday. The shoes will never substitute for actually having WITNESSED MJ pull off these feats. That's why when they compare LeBron to MJ, I bust out laughing.

This right here.

OGs will wear a pair because "this is what MJ wore when he [hit that final shot/played with the flu/did that movie]".

Hypebeasts will wear a pair because "look how rich I am, I have something you don't have".

It’s really hard to give up considering nowadays jordans frequently go on sale, and with the exception of collabs and certain 1s, I could get shoes w/o lining up. Just my experience though.

I've been selective for years now. Quality and fitment has been garbage and I don't think it will ever change. While it improves slightly here and there, it will never get back to pre 2005.

I always wonder how long Nike/jb plan to constantly release new cws every weekend. Is it ever going to stop?

Apart of me feels that it will slow down but then they will push the lebron and kobe retros

I hung my kick copping jersey in the rafters for the first time 2 months ago. I plan on coming out of retirement in 2 years or so once I pay off all my credit debt. I went hard in the paint for a good 14 years. It's going to be hard but it gets a little easier as each release I want passes by. Once I start back I'll be playing catch up for about 2-3 years. After that I can honestly see me being done as I think the remaining 11 og's that I want will be retroed during that time. If I don't hang it up for good , I see it slowing down drastically from an average of 40-50 pairs a year to like 10-15 if that.

Last edited:
Different acroynym, same feeling.
i don't think it's the same feeling; this is my hobby, so i collect/buy what i like; however if you consider it a game that means you're trying to win, i think reseller consider it a game since they buy low with hopes of selling high

Last edited:
s/n is it really slowing down if you're still buying what you like; if slowing down means only buying what you really like; then i never got out of the slow lane.......

Back
Top Bottom