Japan 9.0 Mag. Quake/Tsunami -HAITI stands with Japan [vid]

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by Noskey

Ohhhhh boy. This could turn into one of the worst disasters in modern history.

Not to sound ignorant, but I really don't know for sure. Does anyone know exactly what this could mean in terms of the negative effects?

Radiation, i'm guessing...
frown.gif

Damn thats crazy...

It's crazy how good Japan builds all of their buildings though....If that was in another country the damage would have been way worse

Damn thats crazy...

It's crazy how good Japan builds all of their buildings though....If that was in another country the damage would have been way worse

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Not to sound ignorant, but I really don't know for sure. Does anyone know exactly what this could mean in terms of the negative effects?

frown.gif

Im a nuclear operator, although the one i work at isn't the same technology as this one in japan. The fire was said to be in the turbine hall, which really shouldn't cause any radiation release as long as the turbine itself isnt structurally damaged. Theyre very robust structures so a little fire isn't gonna breach its inside. Even if it did, the radiation levels in the turbine wouldn't be nearly anywhere as much as it would be the closer you get to reactor core. The radiation through their turbines would mostly be short-lived radionuclides so I wouldn't worry too much.

However, the bigger worry should be the fact that they lost their emergency cooling system to 3 of the 5 reactors. I read somewhere that the quake affected their emergency cooling system for units 3,4 and 5. most reactors generally have one (sometimes 2) main safety shutdown system, a back-up system and an emergency back-up for common mode (quakes, volcanoes etc) events. Although they were able to shutdown and remain shutdown, repairing the damage and restoring emergency cooling capacity would probably be their biggest priority.

Overall, its not too much of a worrying situation, unless facts havent been reported correctly thus far. But just the fact that its nuclear im sure there'll be knee jerk reactions across the board and i'll hear about it when i walk into work next..

frown.gif

Im a nuclear operator, although the one i work at isn't the same technology as this one in japan. The fire was said to be in the turbine hall, which really shouldn't cause any radiation release as long as the turbine itself isnt structurally damaged. Theyre very robust structures so a little fire isn't gonna breach its inside. Even if it did, the radiation levels in the turbine wouldn't be nearly anywhere as much as it would be the closer you get to reactor core. The radiation through their turbines would mostly be short-lived radionuclides so I wouldn't worry too much.

However, the bigger worry should be the fact that they lost their emergency cooling system to 3 of the 5 reactors. I read somewhere that the quake affected their emergency cooling system for units 3,4 and 5. most reactors generally have one (sometimes 2) main safety shutdown system, a back-up system and an emergency back-up for common mode (quakes, volcanoes etc) events. Although they were able to shutdown and remain shutdown, repairing the damage and restoring emergency cooling capacity would probably be their biggest priority.

Overall, its not too much of a worrying situation, unless facts havent been reported correctly thus far. But just the fact that its nuclear im sure there'll be knee jerk reactions across the board and i'll hear about it when i walk into work next..

Originally Posted by brrraptors

frown.gif

Thanks for the insight. I was really curious about all this

frown.gif

Thanks for the insight. I was really curious about all this

frown.gif

You work at OPG? Get me in if you do!!!!!!!!!!!

frown.gif

You work at OPG? Get me in if you do!!!!!!!!!!!

im lowkey scared as **$*.

millions of dead fish, birds and +@!#...
earthquakes, civil unrest.

im bout to smoke some trees. **$* this +@!#.

Originally Posted by likethematrix

im not scared but

mid 2010..........lot of weird things started happenin, natural disasters.................lot of UFO bits and pieces (who knows what is real or fake)

more natural disasters and weird happenins, yes the civil unrest, all these things will continue i believe, i dunno just seems 2010-2012 a lot of things really are going on an its not the end of the world but were def gonna be headed into a new era real soon i believe. i dunno what that is yet, but yea.

i thought aliens would have revealed themselves by now but o well.

im not scared but

mid 2010..........lot of weird things started happenin, natural disasters.................lot of UFO bits and pieces (who knows what is real or fake)

more natural disasters and weird happenins, yes the civil unrest, all these things will continue i believe, i dunno just seems 2010-2012 a lot of things really are going on an its not the end of the world but were def gonna be headed into a new era real soon i believe. i dunno what that is yet, but yea.

i thought aliens would have revealed themselves by now but o well.

laugh.gif
my grandmother is going bonkers over here, she about to blow down.

Back
Top Bottom