ITT: Everything Electro/Dubstep/House/Trance Music

Headed to Thomas Gold at the Roseland Ballroom in 2 weeks.. pretty excited for that.

"Electronic Dance Music" isn't a genre, it's a label given a couple years ago by big publications to group all dance/electronic music like Techno, Trance, DNB, all variations of house, etc. since they have no clue how to differentiate between them. I.E. if you read an article on say John O'Callaghan, Rolling Stone would most likely say "EDM Artist John O'Callaghan" instead of "Trance Artist John O'Callaghan" when talking about him because they don't know what the **** trance is. From what I noticed people correlate progressive trance (songs like Language, In My Mind, etc.) with "EDM." Progressive trance, IMO, is the most poppy played out **** and has hurt the scene altogether with it's emergence, but if people want to enjoy it good for them. All of this music was around for quite a few years before the term "EDM" existed though man. It's like when they tried to label it all "Electronica" in the 90's :lol:

those songs are more progressive house.

check out that Pharrel sample.....

my youtube channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/KushPizzaSleep

Last edited:
Yeah let's be real here, nobody EVER called electronic music EDM before it became mainstream and hyped up in the states.

Yeah let's be real here, nobody EVER called electronic music EDM before it became mainstream and hyped up in the states.

I've been listening to various forms of it for 15 years, and I've heard it used for a long time. Maybe it was just an American thing all along, but it's been used. And I still fail to see the problem with using an umbrella term. Do people have problems with using the term Rock to describe a hundred different genres? What about Jazz? Umbrella terms exist for everything, and it's silly to get worked up over one term, as if it somehow diminishes every sub-genre.

"Electronic Dance Music" isn't a genre, it's a label given a couple years ago by big publications to group all dance/electronic music like Techno, Trance, DNB, all variations of house, etc. since they have no clue how to differentiate between them. I.E. if you read an article on say John O'Callaghan, Rolling Stone would most likely say "EDM Artist John O'Callaghan" instead of "Trance Artist John O'Callaghan" when talking about him because they don't know what the **** trance is. From what I noticed people correlate progressive trance (songs like Language, In My Mind, etc.) with "EDM." Progressive trance, IMO, is the most poppy played out **** and has hurt the scene altogether with it's emergence, but if people want to enjoy it good for them. All of this music was around for quite a few years before the term "EDM" existed though man. It's like when they tried to label it all "Electronica" in the 90's :lol:

those songs are more progressive house.

Nah dude progressive house is way slower and not nearly as upbeat. Long, slow buildups that lead to simple and repetitive drops. **** like old Adam K and old deadmau5 (asdfghjkl, etc.). I don't know how/why these new songs started getting the progressive house title, but you're not the first person I've seen do it either. I don't like to group the two personally, especially since I've always correlated progressive house with the slower stuff.

For the record I never liked "rock" as an umbrella term. I'm sure metalheads don't like when you called metal "rock." If you've been listening to the music for 15 years, I seriously can't guess where the **** you've heard EDM in your early listening years :lol: but the generalization by most people in the mid-late 90's through the early-mid 2000's for me was that I was listening to "techno" music whenever I'd have any house/dance music playing. It's not the fact that the term "EDM" exists that irks people, it's moreso the fact that people that don't know **** about the music and generally front like they do use it for random *** sub-genres and it gets old after a few years when you're used to the scene being a counter-culture and not in the spotlight.

Last edited:
:lol:

to each his own i guess. i'll keep calling it progressive house.

Last edited:
Nah dude progressive house is way slower and not nearly as upbeat. Long, slow buildups that lead to simple and repetitive drops. **** like old Adam K and old deadmau5 (asdfghjkl, etc.). I don't know how/why these new songs started getting the progressive house title, but you're not the first person I've seen do it either. I don't like to group the two personally, especially since I've always correlated progressive house with the slower stuff.

For the record I never liked "rock" as an umbrella term. I'm sure metalheads don't like when you called metal "rock." If you've been listening to the music for 15 years, I seriously can't guess where the **** you've heard EDM in your early listening years :lol: but the generalization by most people in the mid-late 90's through the early-mid 2000's for me was that I was listening to "techno" music whenever I'd have any house/dance music playing. It's not the fact that the term "EDM" exists that irks people, it's moreso the fact that people that don't know **** about the music and generally front like they do use it for random *** sub-genres and it gets old after a few years when you're used to the scene being a counter-culture and not in the spotlight.

progressive house to me is just house-y trance or trancey-house whichever. either way it sucks. lol.

i hate the term EDM. mostly b/c of the type of music that its come to be associated with the past 1-2 years.
its just the "in" umbrella term right now, just like "electronica" was in the 90s.

that just blaze song is pretty crazy...

dude is very versatile..

i dont even like this type of stuff, but damn.

Yeah I agree about Madonna, she embraced the music before it became mainstream in the U.S. Yes it's late with all things considered but before the hype.

Last edited:
Just asked because at a recent Madonna concert she shouted out to the crowd has anyone seen Molly?

When questioned about it she said it was about an actual person she was looking for...
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom