Is Kobe Bryant Still the Best Shooting Guard in the NBA?

Originally Posted by MaxElite

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by MaxElite

Not close? 
Cmonnnnnnnn son
Kobe can still drop 40 in the playoffs even though the rest of his team is trash. Wade is going 1 on 1 against Barbosa in the Pacers series
roll.gif

It is a shame that Kobe is still better than Wade considering dude is 34 and has 40 year old type mileage on those legs.

Wade just dropped 40. 

Nice try though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

Wade taking a back seat to Kobe once again in the Olympics.
The last time he played he led the team in scoring & lead all non-bigs in FG%, though

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Yea me and my folks always talk about how many potential SG's have came and gone during Kobe's career.

Ray
AI
Finley (Really not Really)
Wade
Vince
TMAC

And the dude is still going.
Were you just naming dudes who were supposed to be great SGs? Or what? Because I don't know how anyone could expect anything more out of Wade. He's surpassed any ceiling anyone had set for him before, at least I think. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it sounds like you were listing a bunch of dudes who underachieved. Wade definitely did not. People kind of let it slide but he's still one of the top 5 players in my eyes.

Kobe, Durant, Bron, Wade, and either Howard/Paul.

Nah I was just naming people that rivaled Kobe at any point of his career. Nothing more. 
laugh.gif

This year Kobe put up the lowest true shooting % of his career while also putting up a top 10 usage rate of all time. Not sure why people think he's better than Wade after his 6'6" Iverson routine this year.

The anti Kobe guys will always try and make somethin up, but Wade has NEVER been on Kobe's level, ever.  Despite what they tell you. 

Wade doesn't even hit 30% from deep, even if they try and say he's a better shooter than Kobe, he can't hit 80% of his free throws, he doesn't rebound as well as Kobe, he gets an extra assist, and blocks more shots, that's where it ends. 

Kobe this year took the last 2 weeks off and still played almost 10 more games than Wade did. 
laugh.gif
  And Wade plays 5 minutes a game less than 16th season, 33 year old Kobe, and does it with Lebron helpin him out.  Kobe creates every shot, either for himself or a teammate (mostly for himself
laugh.gif
) and has been the only one to do that for years in LA. 

Wade shoots a higher percentage cuz he attacks the rim more and Kobe forces nut job twisting fadeaways all the time, Kobe also does a ton more work on the block than Wade does, has way more post moves, jab steps, better footwork (give me a break with this travel crap, especially if we're defending Wade here) and has more range by far. 

Yet they'll try and tell you that Wade has been better since like 2007 or some @#%!. 
laugh.gif
  Year after year the coaches and GM's select Kobe for everything, every year.  But hey, what do they know? 

Isn't the question "Right Now". At this time, at this present moment Dwyane Wade is the best SG in the league. Kobe shoots better but Wade slashes and drives better, pick you're poison. Kobe this year, at least to me (chill Kobe Stan's); had a bad year. He shot the ball too much, I haven't seen Kobe hog the ball like this since 2007. Bad shot after bad shot. On defense Wade and Kobe aren't even close anymore. Wade gets blocks and steals on the regular. However at the end of both careers this won't even be a question, Kobe will by far have been better than Wade in his career.

Wade has never been on Kobe's level? What does that even mean
roll.gif
roll.gif

Did Wade not lead his team to a championship? Wouldn't that somewhat qualifying for being on his level? No one is argueing that Wade is a better player all-time than Kobe but right now he is pretty much better in everything else except for long distance shooting.  Your pointing to Kobe's three percentage as some huge advantage when his numbers there this year were dismal.

Originally Posted by CP1708

The anti Kobe guys will always try and make somethin up, but Wade has NEVER been on Kobe's level, ever.  Despite what they tell you. 

Wade doesn't even hit 30% from deep, even if they try and say he's a better shooter than Kobe, he can't hit 80% of his free throws, he doesn't rebound as well as Kobe, he gets an extra assist, and blocks more shots, that's where it ends. 

Kobe this year took the last 2 weeks off and still played almost 10 more games than Wade did. 
laugh.gif
  And Wade plays 5 minutes a game less than 16th season, 33 year old Kobe, and does it with Lebron helpin him out.  Kobe creates every shot, either for himself or a teammate (mostly for himself
laugh.gif
) and has been the only one to do that for years in LA. 

Wade shoots a higher percentage cuz he attacks the rim more and Kobe forces nut job twisting fadeaways all the time, Kobe also does a ton more work on the block than Wade does, has way more post moves, jab steps, better footwork (give me a break with this travel crap, especially if we're defending Wade here) and has more range by far. 

Yet they'll try and tell you that Wade has been better since like 2007 or some @#%!. 
laugh.gif
  Year after year the coaches and GM's select Kobe for everything, every year.  But hey, what do they know? 

Bringing up Footwork again
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. Kobe has great footwork, we get it. Doesnt make him better than a player because he can do a triple axle spin in the lane before he takes a forced 20 footer that he SOMETIMES makes.

Dudes keep bringing up the stats that only support their side of the argument. It never ends.

I will say Kobe is the best SG right now but to suggest Wade has never been on his level or close is comical.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by KenJi714

SneakerPro wrote:
I just don't see D. Wade getting broomed the way Kobe did last year.

Against the same team it was D. Wade damn near single handed keeping the Heat in the Finals. Lebron totally vanished after Game 2.

I never feared Kobe in the playoffs like that last year. I was scarred to death of D. Wade until that confetti fell from the ceiling.

Of course he won't because he got Lebronze and the Heat defense is better than the Lakers

He didn't have Lebronze Games 3-6 in the Finals and still competed.

The Lakers got embarrassed.

This is foolish. Wade has already been swept in a series. The heat are a better team than the Lakers and that is why they are not getting swept.
Lebron carries that team for 3 quarters and so does Bosh. Stop acting like Wade was the only player contributing on that team.
Wade just dropped 40. 

Nice try though.

I posted that AFTER wade dropped 40 to mention that he does it against Barbosa and that terrible Indiana defense.

A bunch of woman here talking about fish/frog hybrid and the fallen angel (kobe). I mean, come on man. Why don't you let KOBE take some roids, so he'll be at the LBJ/WADE level. There's no way LBJ can be that big w/o being injected w/ roids, the same w/ DWADE. Thing is, both DWADE and LBJ are probably on: BOTOX!

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Wade has never been on Kobe's level? What does that even mean
roll.gif
roll.gif

Did Wade not lead his team to a championship? Wouldn't that somewhat qualifying for being on his level? No one is argueing that Wade is a better player all-time than Kobe but right now he is pretty much better in everything else except for long distance shooting.  Your pointing to Kobe's three percentage as some huge advantage when his numbers there this year were dismal.

That's just it, I'm not pointing at any specific year, Wade has NEVER been a good 3 point shooter, ever.  At all.  Do you get that? 

He hasn't even been an above average FREE THROW shooter yet.  He's hit right on 80% ONCE in his career!!!!!!!   The guy that got 96 free throws in 6 games don't even make as many as he should. 
laugh.gif
  You'd think with all that practice he'd pretty damn good by now. 
laugh.gif

So until he shoots better from deep and hits more free throws, Kobe is better?

I'm not saying Kobe isn't better, but the logic that you're trying to throw out for why Wade is better isn't really making much sense.

Who cares if he can't hit 80% on his FTs, did Shaq?

Haven't read the entire thread b/c I thought this was a foregone conclusion and the consensus should be Kobe.

But has DWAYNE WADE even developed a consistent mid-range game? He scored 40 last night attacking the rim. Those floaters were fun to watch and sure he hit a couple tough jumpers (actually reminded me of Kobe at times), but how often do we see Wade eat from 16-22 feet. Rarely. He doesn't trust that part of his game. That's why he forces the issue and the rim, and usually follows that by picking himself off the floor.

Funny how dudes didn't start coming in here till Wade just recently dropped 42. Dude had looked like a slug the whole season smh

Attacking the rim>>>Mid-range.
One gets you free-throws the other doesn't.  Who cares if Wade Free throw percentage hasn't been steller when Kobe can't really get to the rim anymore and even get fouled.  Aside from game three when the refs stepped in Kobe didn't get to the charity stripe very much.

Westbrook annihalted him when Kobe was forced to guard him.  Wade was dominant in last year's postseason and is finding his groove again now.  His recent two games I'd say were better than any game Kobe has had yet.

Kobe is a better rebounder than Wade right now?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't care what numbers say, Wade can go out and grab 10 boards right now way easier than Kobe can.

As other people have pointed out, Kobe is basically  6'6 Iverson at this point in his career, he's a volume scorer to the core and that's not really going to lead you anywhere when he can dominate opponents physically anymore.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Yup. But I don't know why some of you guys are saying D.Wade is on the decline. 
laugh.gif

For real. The guy had 40+ points last night on the Pacers! The 5th best record in the NBA!
+

Kobe the best shooting guard? The guy is the best basketball player on the planet.

Kobe-Bryant-Dwyane-Wade.jpg

Disagreed. Dwayne Wade has consistently had durability questions. Attacking the rim doesn't let you play more games. What good are you if you're on the sidelines?
Furthermore, a consistent mid-range makes you impossible to guard. I'm glad you brought up Westbrook. You know why he gives defenders nightmares? Because he attacks
the rim hard AND has mastered that elbow jumper from the free throw line. That's how you keep your offense very unpredictable. Although Kobe doesn't do it much, he can
still get to the rim. Most recent example was his game 5 against the Thunder. You saw an array of moves. Inside, outside, mid-range, at the rim. Left handed bank shot floaters.
That actually kept LA in the game until he had to sit for 2 minutes. Wade doesn't have that offensive arsenal. Not yet...he may get it someday.

So..........

Wade doesn't have a midrange game. And Russell Westbrook has mastered the elbow jumper.

Yup Im done with this thread.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

One gets you free-throws the other doesn't.  Who cares if Wade Free throw percentage hasn't been steller when Kobe can't really get to the rim anymore and even get fouled.  Aside from game three when the refs stepped in Kobe didn't get to the charity stripe very much.

Westbrook annihalted him when Kobe was forced to guard him.  Wade was dominant in last year's postseason and is finding his groove again now.  His recent two games I'd say were better than any game Kobe has had yet.

Kobe is a better rebounder than Wade right now?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't care what numbers say, Wade can go out and grab 10 boards right now way easier than Kobe can.

As other people have pointed out, Kobe is basically  6'6 Iverson at this point in his career, he's a volume scorer to the core and that's not really going to lead you anywhere when he can dominate opponents physically anymore.

So then Wade's 5 point game last week was........
laugh.gif

Wade "can" go out and get 10 rebounds, just like Kobe "can" go out and get 15 in a game 7 of the Finals. 
wink.gif
  But that's beside the point, Kobe doesn't need to grab as many with the 2 big guys, but he has proven, year after year, if he needs to go get rebounds, he can and will.  All this talk from Wade guys that he's a better rebounder are full of +%#!.  He doesn't get any more (or less) than Kobe.  It's a waste to even argue that point.  Debating like half a rebound or some +%#!.  That's why I brought it up, was discrediting everyone that said otherwise.  Would Wade get those 10 boards with Pau and Drew on his team?  Probably not. 

Max may be done, but I had a question for him, everyone slobbers all over the Dream's footwork, why is he discounting it now being brought up for Kobe? 
nerd.gif
  Nobody bats and eye when it's brought up for Hakeem, why take offense when it gets brought up for Kobe?  

Kobe has been a top 5-8 all time player for years.  YEARS.  Wade is gonna max out in the top 30-35 range.  And we already see signs of him breaking down even sooner than Kobe. 
nerd.gif

2 years from now, Wade may not have anything in the tank, Kobe will STILL be better than him, at 35.  But yeah, keep callin him Iverson. 
laugh.gif

This. Mid-range jumpers are the least efficient shot in basketball. From most efficient to least:
1. Dunks/layups

2. Free throws

3. Corner threes

4. Other threes

5. Mid-range shots

Originally Posted by JD617

This. Mid-range jumpers are the least efficient shot in basketball. From most efficient to least:
1. Dunks/layups

2. Free throws

3. Corner threes

4. Other threes

5. Mid-range shots

Yeah. Efficient at shortening your career.

Originally Posted by JD617

1. Dunks/layups

2. Free throws

3. Corner threes

4. Other threes

5. Mid-range shots

I'm not following.  Wade does better at the rim, Kobe does better 2, 3, and 4.  And then Mid range, you can say what you want, both of them do as well as anybody there.  Both have good mid range games, both take crazy shots, Kobe moreso of course, hence the better percentage by Wade.  But if he's not hitting free throws or 3's, then he's better just from getting dunks and layups?  I'm not followin your thought process here. 

Max may be done, but I had a question for him, everyone slobbers all over the Dream's footwork, why is he discounting it now being brought up for Kobe? 
nerd.gif
  Nobody bats and eye when it's brought up for Hakeem, why take offense when it gets brought up for Kobe?

First of all Hakeem was a 7'1 Center with the footwork of a GUARD. That's why people "slobber" over it. That should be obvious. However that doesn't necessarily make him a better Center than say Shaq or Kareem does it?

Kobe Bryant has footwork that is unparalleled right now. So what? Its obviously not helping him shoot the ball efficiently. It's a great trait in his game, but it's also just a way for him to cope with the fact that he cant get to the rim like he used to.

Look, it's pretty obvious that Kobe will always have some sort of scrutiny.  But when you do compare him, you'll come to realize that Kobe was able to win with 2 diff't sets of team.  1 with shaq, 1 w/ pau.

What has DWADE done?  He has won 1 w/ shaq right, but that's it. 

Back
Top Bottom