IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Ska.  I'm in disbelief at how absurd you're behaving right now.  You're better than this.

SIMMONS is the example of people calling for Pau to be MVP???? Let's ignore that he DIDN'T EVEN SAY IT.

So Plaschke?  And another message board?

What would the reaction be if someone on Around the Horn used #NT as it's source for an argument?  We're the media being cited???  We're the pundits??  Some of the things you and others are saying in this thread are amazing.

Last edited:
I'll say this much, I'm not that high on Kobe as far as the greatest of all-time rankings are concerned but I damn sure love his attitude and determination.  Particularly the comments he said after the injury last night and how Dantay Jones is going to get his *** handed to him the next go round.  You gotta love that. 

Kobe is a lot better than MJ
Mase.gif

Can there be no middle ground?

My brother is a Kobe fan. Not going to lie he is good. And probably top a top 15 player when it is all said and done. But he will never be the greatest at basketball that is just nonsense. How can he be the best player ever, if he isn't even the best laker ever. Magic. Also he plays on a team that was great before he came. The bulls were nothing before Michael came. He took them to the top, not just kept them there. And he never lost in the finals done deal.

This!

Win or lose, Kobe Finals MVP?
PER Diem: June 14, 2010
Updated: June 14, 2010, 9:42 PM ET
By John Hollinger | ESPN.com
EMAIL
BOSTON -- In an odd Finals filled with statistical oddities and in which each game has borne virtually no resemblance to its predecessor, it's perhaps fitting that through five games we're left with another unusual situation: There is no clear-cut choice for series MVP. In fact, if Boston were to close things out with a win in Game 6 on Tuesday, as many as four Celtics could garner serious consideration.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/play...?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100614

This was an insider article written talking about Kobe having the chance to be MVP even if the Lakers lost game 6. He then had 26 and 11 in game 6 and was the player of the game. So just because Gasol had a better game 7 than him he deserved the series MVP? It's an MVP for the entire series, not one game.

Win or lose, Kobe Finals MVP?
PER Diem: June 14, 2010
Updated: June 14, 2010, 9:42 PM ET
By John Hollinger | ESPN.com
EMAIL
BOSTON -- In an odd Finals filled with statistical oddities and in which each game has borne virtually no resemblance to its predecessor, it's perhaps fitting that through five games we're left with another unusual situation: There is no clear-cut choice for series MVP. In fact, if Boston were to close things out with a win in Game 6 on Tuesday, as many as four Celtics could garner serious consideration.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/play...?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100614

This was an insider article written talking about Kobe having the chance to be MVP even if the Lakers lost game 6. He then had 26 and 11 in game 6 and was the player of the game. So just because Gasol had a better game 7 than him he deserved the series MVP? It's an MVP for the entire series, not one game.

But, but, but, Pau.......? Pau was the "real" MVP, haters told us so. Bill Simmons, Bill Simmons said Pau, why would he try to take something away from Kobe, he's not biased at all!!!!!

:lol:

For the record, many analysts and basketball fans alike thought Gasol was the MVP of that Finals. Im not saying Gasol shouldve been FMVP. But the fact that all you Kobe fans laugh at the notion that there was even a slight possibility that another player on the Lakers not named Kobe shouldve been FMVP is the reason why this thread is still going strong. If an argument was made that KG (not Pierce) was the FMVP of the 08 Boston team, Boston fans could atleast entertain the notion. But when its Kobe... Nope. No Way. No Chance. Kobe is God.

Go thru the last 40 years. Look up every finals MVP. Like 35ish of them were the high scorer in the series.

Like 2 scored less than 20 a game.

Of those, they were borderline triple doubleish, Pau was not that.

You people that argue for Pau all have one thing in common, you're trying to discredit Kobe like always.

His series matches up with decades worth of other Finals MVP's. Pau's were no where close, but YOU all want to make a case. And we're the wrong ones. :lol:

For the record, many analysts and basketball fans alike thought Gasol was the MVP of that Finals. Im not saying Gasol shouldve been FMVP. But the fact that all you Kobe fans laugh at the notion that there was even a slight possibility that another player on the Lakers not named Kobe shouldve been FMVP is the reason why this thread is still going strong. If an argument was made that KG (not Pierce) was the FMVP of the 08 Boston team, Boston fans could atleast entertain the notion. But when its Kobe... Nope. No Way. No Chance. Kobe is God.

For the record, many analysts and basketball fans alike think that kobe is an NBA legend/top 10/top 15/top x. we're (read: the majority of kobe fans) are not saying that kobe is the GOAT. But the fact that all you kobe haters laugh at the notion that there was even a slight possibility that kobe could be is the reason why this thread is still going strong. If an argument was made that any other player could be in that category, kobe fans could at least entertain that notion. But when its Kobe... Nope. No Way. No Chance. Kobe is the equivalent of Adam Morrison

For the record, many analysts and basketball fans alike think that kobe is an NBA legend/top 10/top 15/top x. we're (read: the majority of kobe fans) are not saying that kobe is the GOAT. But the fact that all you kobe haters laugh at the notion that there was even a slight possibility that kobe could be is the reason why this thread is still going strong. If an argument was made that any other player could be in that category, kobe fans could at least entertain that notion. But when its Kobe... Nope. No Way. No Chance. Kobe is the equivalent of Adam Morrison

15 range, no shame in that

I can concede. Can you?

Many stupid and hater analysts yes. Not the one that watch the games and know what they're talking about.

Just take the Ls. Oh wait. You're probably a bay area fans. Ls already been had lol

You're late to this party.  cartune said
So we gonna act like Pau Gasol wasnt damn near the x factor in that Boston series and many pundits suggested he was robbed of the Finals MVP award that post season?

Its not like I said he was responsible for only one I said 1.5 cause Pau damn near saved them in that Boston series

Atleast do some research if you dont remember before getting all aggy
laugh.gif
The debate isn't whether it was reasonable that Pau garner consideration.  he brought it up to say Kobe DIDN'T deserve credit for that finals and to imply that he wasn't the reason for the Lakers win, but was carried by Pau and then stole an MVP.  Ignore that his ONLY examples of pundits were A. Bill Plaschke B. another internet forum with people with as much credibility as any of us and C. a Bill Simmons conversation from a month ago (yes in 2013. Not immediately after the Finals as he claimed.)

Read the pages before you comment.  There's 116 of them to enjoy.

Last edited:
He said Pau saved the Lakers, which he did in game 7. You took it as Kobe "stealing" a finals MVP from Gasol. Taking things personally?

He said Pau saved the Lakers, which he did in game 7. You took it as Kobe "stealing" a finals MVP from Gasol. Taking things personally?
No he didn't.  go back and read the exchange. 
Cool but that has nothing to do with you saying Kobe gets credit for being the 9th seed with Nash and Dwight.

I guess dudes are so accustomed to typing the Bron talking points they just try and apply it to everything.

Really how does anybody he played with in Cleveland factor into Kobe being overrated ?
Kobe is a great scorer shooter who's crowned as a "winner" when in actuality he's showed us a couple of times if he doesnt have a 7 foot center, the GOAT coach and a godlike supporting cast he's not a championship player hell he's not even a playoff player. We've seen it multiple times now.

People bring up his 5 rings but when you actually put a magnifying glass to it you'll see he's majorly responsible for 1.5 of his 5. Thats not top 5 all time'ish

Kobe is all time great who was blessed with situations every player in the history of the NBA would have love to have had. That shouldn't be held against him but if you're going to place him in the top 5 all time or 2nd coming to Jordan you are overrating him.
So we gonna act like Pau Gasol wasnt damn near the x factor in that Boston series and many pundits suggested he was robbed of the Finals MVP award that post season?

Its not like I said he was responsible for only one I said 1.5 cause Pau damn near saved them in that Boston series

Atleast do some research if you dont remember before getting all aggy
laugh.gif
Stop pretending to interpret it a way he didn't mean it. It's annoying. 

And again, I'M. A. KNICKS. FAN.  I have no stake in this argument.  I just think it's dumb.

Last edited:
Im not interpreting it in anyway. He said Pau was the x factor, and I agree, he was. And its obvious that Kobe fans dont see it that way. Lakers have gone as far as Paus play since hes arrived in LA. He dissapeared in the first finals against Boston - Boston in 6. Pau balled the next two postseasons (including Boston finals) - Two Ships. Pau doesnt play well the previous two postseasons - 2 second round playoff exits.

He might not be a better player than Kobe, but he is the x factor. And I can make a case for Pau winning that 2010 FMVP but it would just fall on deaf ears. And I'm not even saying Pau shouldve won it.

Last edited:
he also said pau was ROBBED of the finals mvp

I think most laker fans understand if Pau doesn't play well in those series Lakers don't win, but somehow that's a negative for kobe :lol:

:lol: This! This kind of logic is ignorant because you can say that besides the Finals MVP any other key player was an x-factor for any of the champions in history.

Without Rodman d'in up Malone all series the Bulls don't beat Utah, without Wade, LeBron doesn't win last year, and so on and so forth.

I don't see people discrediting Duncan for his '05 Finals MVP and saying Ginobili was the x-factor, and Duncan shot 41% in that series. But at the end of the day he had better numbers than Manu. But all the haters start nitpicking when it comes to Kobe :lol:

Last edited:
lol at x factor. That can be said for just about every championship team. Everybody who step up and contributed could be an x factor genius.

lol

he also said pau was ROBBED of the finals mvp

I think most laker fans understand if Pau doesn't play well in those series Lakers don't win, but somehow that's a negative for kobe :lol:

He definitely wasnt Robbed. But a case can be made that he should've gotten the FMVP.

Back
Top Bottom