Is Kanye GREAT @ what he does (sampling)? Or is he flat out overrated as a producer?

^Sorry Hype but I disagree, that Nina Track > Talib .....

As far as making something from nothing, I am saying to sample is still creating an original track. Even if you make your "own" beat, you are usingnotes that have been used before.

I stand by my statement, almost all of the tracks that have been instrumental (No pun intended) in hip-hop have been samples.....

Basically all of illmatic was samples, Biggies first single was a sample, Pac's biggest tracks were samples, RZA made Wu off of samples, Dre samples......

^ That's why Timbo & The Neptunes are SO BEASTLY in my eyes
pimp.gif
...yes, they get ideas from stuff/sample VERY occasionally, but most of that %%!% iscoming straight off the dome it seems (show me where they straight jack melodies COMPLETELY like 'Ye has done).

You can keep your Anti Matter and Spazzing....I'll keep my laid back beats that could only come from Music's best period.
pimp.gif

In the end it comes down to prefernce, you prefer Timbo and N.E.R.D...I think they are overrated, I prefer YE and Diddy in the 90's, you probably thinkthey are overrated, and that is what NT is about OPINION.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

^Sorry Hype but I disagree, that Nina Track > Talib .....

As far as making something from nothing, I am saying to sample is still creating an original track. Even if you make your "own" beat, you are using notes that have been used before.

I stand by my statement, almost all of the tracks that have been instrumental (No pun intended) in hip-hop have been samples.....

Basically all of illmatic was samples, Biggies first single was a sample, Pac's biggest tracks were samples, RZA made Wu off of samples, Dre samples......

I didn't mean it in the sense that one > the other. I just meant that Sinnerman is 10 minutes long. The elements used in "Get By" are fromOPPOSITE ends of the track. Until you (YOU) can SIT DOWN and compile all these pieces into a totally different outcome, I can't agree that sampling iseasier than creating something from scratch. 1.Timbo 2.Neptunes BTW on my all-time list.

You serious?
laugh.gif
can't knock Ye if you gonna say that is a minimal sample, RZA took the essence of that song
laugh.gif
....Sampling is Sampling, if you gonnasay "It isn't sampling because he only did so and so" well that is just nonsense.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

I can't agree that sampling is easier than creating something from scratch. 1.Timbo 2.Neptunes BTW on my all-time list.

With my main dudes pegged into your #1. & #2. holes on your all-time list, it sounds like you DO agree to me.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by kix4kix

You serious?
laugh.gif
can't knock Ye if you gonna say that is a minimal sample, RZA took the essence of that song
laugh.gif
....Sampling is Sampling, if you gonna say "It isn't sampling because he only did so and so" well that is just nonsense.
RZA TOOK the essence of that song because he didnt change a thing that Get By sample is a more creative way of sampling. Preme, RZA like to findlil 4 bar loops and loop them the whole freakin song
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

HERES A BETTER WAY OF SAMPLING BLAZE TOOK THE SONG IN MADE IT HIS OWN INSTEAD OF JUST SAMPLING A LOOP

So say you don't like Ye, I have no issue with that, but don't say Ye isn't talented, that is BS. JB beat is fire, and I don't even like theTalib sample, but you cannot tell me the JB sample is HARDER to do than that beat YE made.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Truthfully I'm too tired to even have an intellectual convo with ya'll. My mind is all over the place...

I'll take the L tonite, but tomorrow, I'll make my point
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

pimp.gif
...yes, they get ideas from stuff/sample VERY occasionally, but most of that %%!% is coming straight off the dome it seems (show me where they straight jack melodies COMPLETELY like 'Ye has done).

grin.gif

Originally Posted by sNc magic

pimp.gif
...yes, they get ideas from stuff/sample VERY occasionally, but most of that %%!% is coming straight off the dome it seems (show me where they straight jack melodies COMPLETELY like 'Ye has done).

grin.gif

I've seen this %@+% a million times & I say it's straight tomfoolery to this day.
laugh.gif
...Is that the BEST "dirt" as far as sampling goesyou have on Timbo?
Anyways, The Neptunes are my All-Time favorite producers. When and if (very rarely do they sample %@+%), you have NO CLUE, because it doesn't sound thesame AT ALL.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
grin.gif

I've seen this %@+% a million times & I say it's straight tomfoolery to this day.
laugh.gif
...Is that the BEST "dirt" as far as sampling goes you have on Timbo?
Anyways, The Neptunes are my All-Time favorite producers. When and if (very rarely do they sample %@+%), you have NO CLUE, because it doesn't sound the same AT ALL.
pimp.gif

Some of them are reaches, but still

He doesn't give credit to the original artists. Personally, I don't really care. Timbo's beats are always
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
grin.gif

laugh.gif
...Is that the BEST "dirt" as far as sampling goes you have on Timbo?
Anyways, The Neptunes are my All-Time favorite producers. When and if (very rarely do they sample %@+%), you have NO CLUE, because it doesn't sound the same AT ALL.
pimp.gif

Some of them are reaches, but still

Damn! I can't front...A LOT of those are NOT reaches @ all!
eek.gif
...Someone please show me The Neptunes taking part in these shenanigans & I'll fallback (just a little).
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Tim does sample

Aaliyah "Don't Know What To Tell Ya" >> Warda "Batwanes Beek"
Aaliyah "Heartbroken" >> Minnie Ripperton "Inside My Love"
Aaliyah "If Your Girl Only Knew (The New Remix)" >> Portishead "Numb"
Aaliyah "More Than A Woman" >> Mayada El-Hannawy "Aloly Ensy"
Baby aka #1Stunna "Baby You Can Do It" >> S.O.S. Band "Take You Time (Do It Right)"
Brandy "Come As You Are" >> flute sample taken from Deepest India
Brandy "Finally" >> ??? "Rock House Jail"
Brandy "Focus" >> Outkast "Bombs Over Baghdad"
Brandy "I Tried" >> Iron Maiden "The Clansman" >> Coldplay "Sparks"
Brandy "Nodding Off" >> Lata Mangeshkar & Shabbir Kumar "Jab Hum Jawan Honge" taken from Bataab (1983 Bollywood film)
Brandy "Should I Go" >> Coldplay "Clocks"
Brandy "Who Is She 2" >> Minnie Ripperton "Instant Love"
Bubba Sparxxx "Jimmy Mathis" >> Area Code 615 "Stone Fox Chase"
Bubba Sparxxx "Ugly" >> Missy Elliott "Get Ur Freak On"
Bubba Sparxxx & The Muddkatz "Gun Line" >> dialogue taken from Life
Bubba Sparxxx & The Muddkatz "Reinfected" >> Sean Paul "Gimme The Light"
Bubba Sparxxx & The Muddkatz "Talk 2 Me Betty" >> Willie Hutch "Mack Man"
Bubba Sparxxx & The Muddkatz "Tell Me Bout The South" >> Suzanne Vega "Tom's Diner"
Fabolous "Right Now & Later On" >> The Meters "Just Kissed My Baby" >> The Meters "Jungle Man"
Ginuwine "G. Thang" >> Portishead "Numb" >> LL Cool J "The Boomin' System" >> D'Angelo "BrownSugar"
Ginuwine "Ginuwine... The Bachelor Intro" >> dialogue taken from The Usual Suspects
Ginuwine "I'll Do Anything/I'm Sorry" >> Stevie Wonder "Visions"
Jay-Z "Big Pimpin'" >> Hossam Ramzy "Khusara Khusara"
Jackie-O "Slow Down" >> Musical Youth "Pass The Dutchie"
Justin Timberlake "(Oh No) What You Got" >> Debka Druz "The Debka of the Druz"
Justin Timberlake "SexyBack" >> Eddie Bo "Hook And Sling"
Kiley Dean "Kiss Me Like That" >> Allison Krauss & Union Station "Crazy Faith"
Kiley Dean "No" >> Fela Kuti "Sorrow Tears & Blood"
Ludacris "Roll Out (My Business)" >> Africando "Yay Boy"
Missy Elliott "Baby Girl Interlude/Intro" >> The Sugarhill Gang "Rappers Delight"
Missy Elliott "Bring The Pain" >> Method Man "Bring The Pain"
Missy Elliott "Don't Be Cruel" >> ??? "Let's All Chant" >> Salt N Pepper "Push It"
Missy Elliott "Get Ur Freak On" >> "Larka" taken from Deepest India
Missy Elliott "Hit 'Em Wit Da Hee (Remix)" >> Björk "Joga"
Missy Elliott "Let It Bump" >> MC Lyte "I Cram To Understand" >> ??? "Ain't No Half Steppin'"
Missy Elliott "Old School Joint" >> One Way "Pop It"
Missy Elliott "One Minute Man" >> Juwana-Malah "La-Mostahel"
Missy Elliott "Pass Da Blunt" >> Musical Youth "Pass The Dutchie"
Missy Elliott "Pass That Dutch" >> Blonde Redhead "Magic Mountain" >> De La Soul "Potholes In My Lawn" >> SantaEsmeralda "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
Missy Elliott "Sock It 2 Me" >> The Delfonics "Ready Or Not"
Missy Elliott "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)" >> Ann Pebbles "I Can't Stand The Rain"
Missy Elliott "Whatcha Gon' Do" >> Fela Kuti "Colonial Mentality"
Missy Elliott "Why You Hurt Me" >> ??? "Check Me Out"
Missy Elliott "Work It" >> Blondie "Heart Of Glass" >> Run DMC "Peter Piper"
Missy Elliott "X-Tasy" >> J-88 "Stupid Lies" >> Sly and the Family Stone "In Time"
Ms. Jade "Ching Ching" >> Nelly Furtado "Baby Girl"
Ms. Jade "Count It Off" >> Lynn Collins "We Want To Parrrty, Parrrty, Parrrty" >> Vicki Anderson "The Message From theSoul Sisters"
Ms. Jade "Dead Wrong" >> Kazem El Saher "El-Zamen"
Ms. Jade "Feel The Girl" >> Vlatko Stefanovski's "Gipsy Song"
Ms. Jade "Interlude" >> Koola Lobitos feat. Fela Kuti "Oloufe Mi" aka "Lover"
Ms. Jade "Really Don't Want My Love" >> Lynn Collins "We Want To Parrrty, Parrrty, Parrrty"
Nelly Furtado "Do It" >> Timbaland MTV Ringtone "The Block Party"
Petey Pablo "Get On Dis Motorcycle" >> ??? "Sowkiyama"
Petey Pablo "Raise Up" >> Hossam Ramzy "Enta Omri"
Playa "Gravy Train" >> Underdog Theme Song
Rajé Shwari "Indian Style" >> "No. 1 Punjabi" taken from Chori Chori Chupke Chupke (2001 film) >> "Dhola Ve Dhola"(Punjabi folk tune)
Sebastian "Phenomenon" >> Abdelmajeed Abdullah "Ya Ward"
The Game "Put You On The Game" >> Lata Mangeshkar & Mohammad Rafi "Bagon Mein Bahar"
Timbaland "Here We Come" >> Spiderman Theme Song
Timbaland feat. Kelly Price "Talking On The Phone" >> Fat Albert Theme Song
Timbaland & Magoo "Beep Beep" >> Missy Elliott "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)"
Timbaland & Magoo "Clock Strikes" >> Knight Rider Theme Song
Timbaland & Magoo "Cop That $!@+" >> ??? "I Know You Got Soul Rap Version" >> ??? "Paper Thin" >> ???"I Got It Made"
Timbaland & Magoo "Drama" >> dialogue taken from The Sixth Sense >> "This Ridiculous Chin" taken from the Face OffSoundtrack
Timbaland & Magoo "Indian Carpet" >> Dalla Lucio "Ulisse Coperto Di Sale"
Timbaland & Magoo "Lights Out" >> Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Timbaland & Magoo "Luv 2 Luv Ya (Remix)" >> JB "Giving Up Food For Funk"
Timbaland & Magoo "Naughty Eye" >> The Girl From Petrovka Theme Song, Performed by Henry Macini
Timbaland & Magoo "Party People" >> Oliver Mtukudzi "Ndima Ndapedza"
Timbaland & Magoo "That $!@+ Ain't Gonna Work" >> Philly's Most Wanted "Old Head Skit"
Timbaland & Magoo "Throwback" >> LL Cool J "Jingling Baby"
Timbaland & Magoo "We At It Again" >> The Prisoner Theme Song
Total "What The Dealio" >> Björk "Joga"
Tweet "Call Me" >> flute sample taken from Deepest India
Tweet "Oops (Oh My)" >> "Mod Dafinda

Neptunes did at one point
now they mostly interpolate

SWV
"Use Your Heart" (produced by The Neptunes)
Samples "If It Don't Turn You on (You Oughta Leave It Alone)" by BT Express

Total
"When Boy Meets Girl" (produced by The Neptunes)
Samples "Love You Inside Out" by The Bee-Gee's

ODB
"Got Your Money" (featuring Kelis) (produced by The Neptunes)
Samples "Children's Story" by Slick Rick.
Samples "!@+#! Please" from Dolemite
Samples "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson

The Clipse
"The Funeral" (Produced by the Neptunes)
Samples "God Bless the Child" by Blood Sweat and Tears

Originally Posted by Powfo

Actually, after listening to all the original songs that Kanye sampled, I almost like him MORE as a producer.

I don't think he's the greatest ever, but he's one of the most successful producers to do it.

If Kanye wasn't talented you would have a bunch of guys with beats that sound that good. It's as simple as that, it's not about being great atwhat he does when the majority of great music is using samples and he is at the head of the game when it comes to that how could you discredit him? What Timbodid doesn't take talent and yes it is sampling, but he isn't bringing anything to the music with what he was doing. Not only did he not give theoriginals credit, but those for the most part were recent beats from songs that weren't so popular. He basically just took some one else beat and gave itto some one else. Kanye brought in a whole different element, took other forms of music and brought them into hip-hop. Of course he wasn't the first to doit, but at the time no one was using these type of samples he literally brought soul into hip-hop. He made sampling soulful tracks popular and not only broughtso much beautiful music to the table but also inspired it. Now if you think that doesn't take talent then that's your opinion, but to say he'soverrated doesn't make sense the reason he is held to such high regard is because of this, you may not have known this was how he came about making hismusic but it is a well known fact. He is respected among his peers and among these people you feel are superior to him, and I think they are better judges oftalent then you. I do in fact feel that The Neptunes are better producers, but the way you're trying to discredit Ye just isn't right. You are makingit seem as if any simpleton can do what he has done, and are flat out underestimating the art of sampling

Originally Posted by Wade187

If Kanye wasn't talented you would have a bunch of guys with beats that sound that good. It's as simple as that, it's not about being great at what he does when the majority of great music is using samples and he is at the head of the game when it comes to that how could you discredit him? What Timbo did doesn't take talent and yes it is sampling, but he isn't bringing anything to the music with what he was doing. Not only did he not give the originals credit, but those for the most part were recent beats from songs that weren't so popular. He basically just took some one else beat and gave it to some one else. Kanye brought in a whole different element, took other forms of music and brought them into hip-hop. Of course he wasn't the first to do it, but at the time no one was using these type of samples he literally brought soul into hip-hop. He made sampling soulful tracks popular and not only brought so much beautiful music to the table but also inspired it. Now if you think that doesn't take talent then that's your opinion, but to say he's overrated doesn't make sense the reason he is held to such high regard is because of this, you may not have known this was how he came about making his music but it is a well known fact. He is respected among his peers and among these people you feel are superior to him, and I think they are better judges of talent then you. I do in fact feel that The Neptunes are better producers, but the way you're trying to discredit Ye just isn't right. You are making it seem as if any simpleton can do what he has done, and are flat out underestimating the art of sampling

I'm retorting vicariously through this statement
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom