Is Kanye GREAT @ what he does (sampling)? Or is he flat out overrated as a producer?

M16 wrote:
Super overrated. Probably top 50-100.
Says the guy on Team Vinnie Paz

EDIT: For once I'd actually like to see you back one of your ******ed statements. It's pretty difficult to name 50 producers of any genre better thenKanye. Not no underground never heard of dudes either give me 50 dudes who people can actually agree with you that are better then Kanye. I bet you probablycan't even get through 20 producers who are actually better than him and isn't just strictly your ******ed *!% opinion. Not saying there isn't 20people better than him just saying that I'm that sure you don't know what you're talking about and your statements hold no weight

M16...
^stoops!
laugh.gif

Kanye is really good at what he does and that is why he is successful.

We're hearing a lot of biased opinions regarding sampling vs. non sampling but lets talk facts.

1. Without samplers hip hop wouldn't be what it is today (love it or hate it)

2. Even without the use of a sampler, many producers (of all genres) find inspiration from other musicians, or other sources of music. They may not technicallychop vinyl, but just like in that Timbaland video on pg. 3, the melody and drum pattern were recreated for his own use. How is that any different fromsampling? It's definately not "made from scratch".

So regardless of how its made, if the beat knocks...I turn that !!%$ up!

I always back up my statements.

There really aren't 20 better ?
roll.gif

Stoupe
Premo
Pete Rock
RZA
Marley Marl
Large Professor
Dre
Havoc
Jazzy Jeff
Miz
Diamond D
Beatnuts
Prince Paul
Buckwild
Lord Finesse
Necro
J Dilla
Neptunes
Kid Capri
Bomb Squad
Timbaland
Easy Mo Bee
DJ Quik
Hi-Tek
Eric B
LES
4th Disciple
El-P
Madlib
DJ Muggs
Ski
DJ Clark Kent
Da Beatminerz
Alchemist
Organized Noize
Q-tip

+ more.

Kanye has way too many hits not to be respected and considered in the top 5 hip-hop producers of all time. I'm sure the majority of the industry wouldagree

M16-
^ I didn't know Necro produced. So he does most of his own beats?
I was gonna post him in a thread as the only artist who's flow I can't stand
laugh.gif
, and I was listening to some songs from Gory Days, and the beats werepretty nice.

Originally Posted by M16

roll.gif

Stoupe
Premo
Pete Rock
RZA
Marley Marl
Large Professor
Dre
Havoc
Jazzy Jeff
Miz
Diamond D
Beatnuts
Prince Paul
Buckwild
Lord Finesse
Necro
J Dilla
Neptunes
Kid Capri
Bomb Squad
Timbaland
Easy Mo Bee
DJ Quik
Hi-Tek
Eric B
LES
4th Disciple
El-P
Madlib
DJ Muggs
Ski
DJ Clark Kent
Da Beatminerz
Alchemist
Organized Noize
Q-tip

+ more.
You have less than 5 producers up there that are hands down better than kanye

Originally Posted by Wade187

M16 wrote:

roll.gif

Stoupe
Premo
Pete Rock
RZA
Marley Marl
Large Professor
Dre
Havoc
Jazzy Jeff
Miz
Diamond D
Beatnuts
Prince Paul
Buckwild
Lord Finesse
Necro
J Dilla
Neptunes
Kid Capri
Bomb Squad
Timbaland
Easy Mo Bee
DJ Quik
Hi-Tek
Eric B
LES
4th Disciple
El-P
Madlib
DJ Muggs
Ski
DJ Clark Kent
Da Beatminerz
Alchemist
Organized Noize
Q-tip

+ more.

Don't post again.

Originally Posted by kiuyt856

M16-

^ I didn't know Necro produced. So he does most of his own beats?

I was gonna post him in a thread as the only artist who's flow I can't stand
laugh.gif
, and I was listening to some songs from Gory Days, and the beats were pretty nice.

Yeah. He produced every single album of his, as well as almost everything for Ill Bill and a few others.

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by Wade187

M16 wrote:

roll.gif

Stoupe
Premo
Pete Rock
RZA
Marley Marl
Large Professor
Dre
Havoc
Jazzy Jeff
Miz
Diamond D
Beatnuts
Prince Paul
Buckwild
Lord Finesse
Necro
J Dilla
Neptunes
Kid Capri
Bomb Squad
Timbaland
Easy Mo Bee
DJ Quik
Hi-Tek
Eric B
LES
4th Disciple
El-P
Madlib
DJ Muggs
Ski
DJ Clark Kent
Da Beatminerz
Alchemist
Organized Noize
Q-tip

+ more.

Don't post again.
You have a bunch of dudes up there from the 90's who do the same thing Kanye has done. It's one thing for you to prefer there beats orthose songs over songs that Kanye has produced but you're obviously coming in with a biased opinion. If you feel all these names are so superior to kanyewhen it comes to production could you tell me why? Other then the fact you prefer there beats over Kanyes what makes them a better producer?

The object of a producer is to make good beats. My list has some of the greatest of all-time at doing this. Most on there have classic albums and classictracks for days.

Kanye makes pop-like beats with a solid track or contribution to a classic here and there. He's really nothing special at all in terms of production (toput him top 5, 10, 20 etc) Really... what is so special or revolutionary about dude ?

Obviously each person will have a different list because people have different tastes. I like the 90's gritty production, that's why I'll take aLord Finesse over Kanye anyday even though most people wouldn't. I'll even take less accomplished dudes like Digga over Kanye because that style to meis hip hop at its best. How do you wan't me to solidly prove someone is a better producer than someone else ?
laugh.gif
then say I have a "biasedOPINION" ?
smh.gif

and if you wanna talk about influence I can go back and add 20 more pioneers to the list...

I don't think you can be overrated as a producer. The majority of people listening to music don't even know the role of a producer, let alone whoproduced the music they're listening to.. So all the hits Kanye puts out aren't a product of his name being attached to the record.

Originally Posted by M16

Kanye makes pop-like beats with a solid track or contribution to a classic here and there. He's really nothing special at all in terms of production (to put him top 5, 10, 20 etc) Really... what is so special or revolutionary about dude ?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pop beats????
I guess these beats were pop beats
Jay-Z-Never Change
T.I.-I'm Jus Doin My Job
Scarface feat.Beanie & Jay-Z-Guess Who's Back
Beanie Sigel & Freeway - Got Nowhere
Talib-Get By
DMX-Dogs Out
Mobb Deep-Throw ya Hands
Shyne-More or Less
Cam'ron-Down & Out
The Game-Dreams
Common-The Corner
Common-The Game
I can't even name da rest dats jus off top man I'm love all dem producers u name & hip-hop 4rm da 90's I was a hip-hop junkie bac in dem days but 2 say Kanye Makes pop beats & is not at least in da TOP 10 producers of all time is stupid either u a Kanye Hater or U jus stuck in da 90's

You want me to really list all his pop beats ?
indifferent.gif

Come on fam. I'm not even gonna name his hundreds of individual pop beats... let's just mention 808s (an entire pop album....)

I already said he does have some classic tracks and good contributions. He's not 100% pop.... but nothing that would put him high on my list though.

He's definitely good at what he does, although I'm sure there's a lot of cats behind the scenes who aren't getting credit, word to Mel Man.

With that said, he hasn't really made anything that I would call "great" in a long time. Son has become a gay fish.

Originally Posted by M16

You want me to really list all his pop beats ?
indifferent.gif

Come on fam. I'm not even gonna name his hundreds of individual pop beats... let's just mention 808s (an entire pop album....)

I already said he does have some classic tracks and good contributions. He's not 100% pop.... but nothing that would put him high on my list though.
That's what I mean by biased opinion. You make it clear that you don't like anything, well most mainstream things. Anything that otherpeople like you like to try to belittle. Kanye became famous as a producer off of his beats being so soulful. You're basically saying because he made somepop beats he isn't as good as a producer as some of the names you've listed. You just said you prefer gritty 90's beats so you would take peoplewho make that type of music over Kanye as a producer. So like I said that's strictly preferance you don't have a actual reason for feeling Kanye isless talented other then the fact you don't like him. How could you say he isn't even top 50 then say it's because YOU like 90's gritty sounds?You're basically passing off your opinion as fact meanwhile saying it's strictly opinion. It just doesn't make sense

They make better beats; most have more accomplishments (classic productions), and some much more influence. They are simply better producers in every aspect.(Except mass appeal)

"Soulful" beats ? This is why you have Kanye as top 10 ? Come on... your "opinions" for putting him that high are pretty weak. I won'tdeny his talent, but everyone mentioned here has talent. Any given day put all them in a room and Kanye isn't coming out with anywhere near the best beat.Unless you looking for something Brittney Spears will sing over.

Dudes posting a few "gritty" Kanye beats like they schooling me on things I never heard before.

STOP.

I already know Kanye can do that. I know he has classic tracks.

He's still not seeing any dudes I mentioned. For every "gutter" track he has, there's probably 3-4 corny pop beats.

Back
Top Bottom