Is it just me.... or is "Over" one of the worst songs you've ever heard?

Y'all bugging. Song is dope.

You dudes expect too much sometimes.

Of course, it's not the best song...but it for damn sure ain't the worst.

Beat is filthy.

8d6252ce9e89f1619a5364dc7bac5e98a4d73f2.jpg

It bothers me when people say "It grew on me" you want to know why?  Because it is on the radio every 4 seconds.  They could play any song that many times and it could "grow on you".  I've been in my car singing for no reason "Don't stop make it hot DJ turn my speakers up tonight..." and i am like !@# is wrong with me.

The song is terrible.  Everything from drake's mouth seems forced.  His video for this song is him sitting on a bed by himself trying to rap hard.  He puts on the mean-mug while rapping and i look at him like come on man.  He is corny and cheesy and nothing he does seems right to me.  He seems like a soap opera actor in a major motion picture.

The reason people say it grows on you is because it has unorthodox structure and hook, takes a couple listens to get use to it. Repetition doesn't make you like a bad song but it make a good song more rewarding experience.  

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

The reason people say it grows on you is because it has unorthodox structure and hook, takes a couple listens to get use to it. Repetition doesn't make you like a bad song but it make a good song more rewarding experience.  
It makes a song that you don't understand better.  Aka Lupe fiasco, Aesop Rock, El-P, P.O.S., sage francis etc others that use complicated metaphors and double entendre that take multiple listens to finally pull together in your head.

There is nothing complicated about over.  You can hear a song that you don't like at first but after its carved into your head by being played over and over and over you start to sing it and eventually want to hear it.  Then before you know it you like the song.  That's what the radio does with all terrible songs ex: Rude Boy, Forever, Lemonade, Down, Loli-pop (by wayne)

Originally Posted by Jking0821

It makes a song that you don't understand better.  Aka Lupe fiasco, Aesop Rock, El-P, P.O.S., sage francis etc others that use complicated metaphors and double entendre that take multiple listens to finally pull together in your head.

There is nothing complicated about over.  You can hear a song that you don't like at first but after its carved into your head by being played over and over and over you start to sing it and eventually want to hear it.  Then before you know it you like the song.  That's what the radio does with all terrible songs ex: Rude Boy, Forever, Lemonade, Down, Loli-pop (by wayne)

I don't remember a great NT love affair with those songs so your theory falls apart there. 
laugh.gif

Yall being setting the bar too high for Drake. Anything less than #1 on the billboards in a failure but I guess he brought it upon himself

but its not a bad song def. not 1st single material tho..if that's what it is

I feel u on him switching the topic up from living the life to success aint all that its cracked up to be. I thought I was the only one who noticed that. with that said..

Young Dro >>>

I don't remember a great NT love affair with those songs so your theory falls apart there. 
laugh.gif

NT has a love affair with drake thats all. 

And the radio has a love affair with these songs and so does the public they are all top 10 singles at one point (except lemonade)

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Originally Posted by EightysBaby

That song is amazing, that beat is amazing. %$$% is soo soulful....THOSE DRUMS, THOSE STRINGS.....I was in the whip and that was the only song that was being played last weekend, had that %$$% on repeat.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

*Waits for a #+%!+%# NTer "you're Canadian, though"*
smh.gif

you're from Scarborough, though

you're from Brampton, though.

It bothers me when people say "It grew on me" you want to know why?  Because it is on the radio every 4 seconds.  They could play any song that many times and it could "grow on you".  I've been in my car singing for no reason "Don't stop make it hot DJ turn my speakers up tonight..." and i am like !@# is wrong with me.

The song is terrible.  Everything from drake's mouth seems forced.  His video for this song is him sitting on a bed by himself trying to rap hard.  He puts on the mean-mug while rapping and i look at him like come on man.  He is corny and cheesy and nothing he does seems right to me.  He seems like a soap opera actor in a major motion picture.
no... every song cant grow on u... this joint just got a nice feel to it... now when people was talkin bout relapse growing on them
laugh.gif
... but this really is the type of %++% that grows on u... whats so wack about it? we  know drake is an actor... we know he looks corny in his videos... but what does that have to do with the song... u sound super bitter like u thought u had a kid but then u found out drake smashed ya bm and its his
roll.gif

not the worst song ever... but song is hot trash. Drake just could have done SOOOOO much better for his first album single. and video is trash too.

Boi 1da dead saved the song.
smh.gif
at people giving this so many spins

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

no... every song cant grow on u... this joint just got a nice feel to it... now when people was talkin bout relapse growing on them
laugh.gif
... but this really is the type of %++% that grows on u... whats so wack about it? we  know drake is an actor... we know he looks corny in his videos... but what does that have to do with the song... u sound super bitter like u thought u had a kid but then u found out drake smashed ya bm and its his
roll.gif
So your saying that every song can't grow on you and that this song is one special song that does grow on you.  Yet you laugh at people saying relapse grew on them.  So what makes relapse the type of album that can't grow on you?  If you listen to something enough you will eventually end up wanting to hear it once your brain becomes accustomed to it.

I am a drake hater.  I think he bit wayne's style and makes soft rap songs for women and people think he is "so deep" with "witty similes" when everything out of his mouth is childs play to me.  His whole subject matter is nothing new to the rap industry.  It just so happens that the "emo" movement is what is popular now and drakes boring introspective songs like "successful" and "over" are all of a sudden cool.  When real artist like Slug from atmosphere or Murs have been making music along the same lines but 100 times better.

*steps off soap box*

sorry
laugh.gif

song def grows on you but everyone in here knows they were dissapointed when they first heard it. Mad people thought he was gonna make a single that had __'s thinking "he might be THAT dude
eek.gif
pimp.gif
". Its cool though...

definitely grew on me but it's nothing amazing, just average I guess. Just because it's Drake, everyone's loving it.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
So your saying that every song can't grow on you and that this song is one special song that does grow on you.  Yet you laugh at people saying relapse grew on them.  So what makes relapse the type of album that can't grow on you?  If you listen to something enough you will eventually end up wanting to hear it once your brain becomes accustomed to it.

I am a drake hater.  I think he bit wayne's style and makes soft rap songs for women and people think he is "so deep" with "witty similes" when everything out of his mouth is childs play to me.  His whole subject matter is nothing new to the rap industry.  It just so happens that the "emo" movement is what is popular now and drakes boring introspective songs like "successful" and "over" are all of a sudden cool.  When real artist like Slug from atmosphere or Murs have been making music along the same lines but 100 times better.

*steps off soap box*

sorry
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
u one of them underground in denial dudes... nobody gives a **#* about slug or murs... this is mainstream music... nobody sayin drake is a lyrical mastermind... i was writing better lyrics in high school... its just about the feel of the music... in mainstream lyrics hold the least weight out of any other part of the song... and no this song isnt special or anything like that... it honestly just grew on me... and that rarely happens... its that part when the drums drop in on the hook that did it...

laugh.gif
roll.gif

*steps off soap box*

sorry
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
u one of them underground in denial dudes... nobody gives a **#* about slug or murs... this is mainstream music... nobody sayin drake is a lyrical mastermind... i was writing better lyrics in high school... its just about the feel of the music... in mainstream lyrics hold the least weight out of any other part of the song... and no this song isnt special or anything like that... it honestly just grew on me... and that rarely happens... its that part when the drums drop in on the hook that did it...
Exactly lol.  I think as i get older (22 now) i just fade out of mainstream music in general.  I hear you on the its just the feel of the song because i really liked Kid Cudi's whole album for that exact reason.  I don't know why i liked it i just vibed with the songs.  But this song just doesn't do it for me.

I take most mainstream music lightly i won't buy a wayne album but i bump steady mobbin' when its on the radio.  Drake's whole persona and content bores me to death and it stands out every time i hear him and another artist on the same track.  I thought his verse was the worst on Forever.  I think wayne outshined him on Goin In, 4 my town, and Money to Blow.  The only time he sounds good is when he raps with young money because they are all terrible. 

Originally Posted by CertifiedFlyBoi23

with that said..

Young Dro >>>

pimp.gif

But concerning Over, it's a decent song. The hook just kind of irks me for whatever reason, can't put my finger on it.

It took me a few listens, but I think the part that is the most catchy is the hook when he says "oh yeah, thats right, I'm doing mee", and the bass line drops at the same exact time. However, I still think he could have came with something stronger for his first single.

Originally Posted by CertifiedFlyBoi23

I think wayne outshined him on Goin In, 4 my town, and Money to Blow.  The only time he sounds good is when he raps with young money because they are all terrible. 

indifferent.gif

Goin in - that beat is real hard and weezy just attacks it.  Drake couldn't attack anything his voice is soft
4 my town - drake is nice on the chorus (trying to give him compliments)
Money to blow - i get it your car doesn't have a roof

Back
Top Bottom