Is $18k too much for a 1996 Impala SS?

I would pull the trigger on this over any new car in this price range..... The car isnt that easy to find in that good of shape... Plus if you bought a new car for 20k you would be trading it in a couple years later... This is a car you buy and you know your keeping it for a long time ( prolly for ever )....If your looking for a older car you already know what you want... Grand national is another car if you find in good shape you will pay a nice penny... But it's worth it if that's what you want... At the end of this year I'm going to be on the market for another older car... Been doing my homework for the last couple of years though

This is my favorite car. I really hope to buy one in good condition one day. For 18k, I'd say it's a little overpriced. I also wouldn't purchase if it had to be my daily driver. But if you can afford it and think it's a good deal go for it OP.

impala.jpg

in a world where da average car has become WILD boring, this right here is a problem b...

like polorico said, these cars are very popular in texas especially in the houston area and i don't know anyone that would drop 18k on it that's not thickly breaded

18k is crazy and this is coming from someone who also loves this car

would not spend 18k. way too much. just look around man, you will find one for the right price, trust me.

Originally Posted by All Ready

like polorico said, these cars are very popular in texas especially in the houston area and i don't know anyone that would drop 18k on it that's not thickly breaded

18k is crazy and this is coming from someone who also loves this car

I wouldnt say 18k is crazy. Its on the high end considering the mileage it isnt unrealistic.

OP: I do however HIGHLY suggest buying a car with higher miles if you plan on using the vehicle as a daily driver. With in 2 years of daily driving your <30k mile, $20k SS will only be worth slightly more then 1/2 what you paid.

IMO a car that old thats still a garage queen should remain so for the rest of its life.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Lol yes... Spend $18k on a 17 year old car.
responses like this coming from a sneaker site that routinely spends hundreds of dollars premium on 5+ year old nikes and jordans is disappointing...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Lol yes... Spend $18k on a 17 year old car.
responses like this coming from a sneaker site that routinely spends hundreds of dollars premium on 5+ year old nikes and jordans is disappointing...

Because shoes lose value like a broken down 20 year old American car lol. Fact is these old American cars aren't reliable and to pay almost 20k for a car that's 18 years old is crazy. You wanna buy my 02 Yukon for $30k? It only has 25000 miles

i think 18 is good, I've seen some go for 30+
this is my favorite car and i do plan on owning one some day

Originally Posted by EuGeNiLe GTS

your gonna get a lot of different opinions.

if impalas are your scene, then you obviously would know the worth they are for that following..

in the "impala world" if these cars go for say... 20k... then i would guess 18k is good.

in the "real world" lol.. and for people not in to this hobby, the usual answer youll get is you crazy for paying 18k for a 1996 impala.

im in to cars, and if my priorities werent straight OR i had lots of money to burn, i would go buy an MKIV supra turbo with t-tops and mods that make it get 700HP to the rear wheels. there are some out there already done how i would do it for 40k.. but there are more important things,

so when it comes down to OP, you really got the true answer to your own question..

This is the one of the best answers here

This IS a "classic" car.

It's grown to be a collector's as well.

I was an owner of an original '96 SS (Black) and those that know their American Muscle cars know the value of these. Would get praises on the road.

I had to unfortunately let go of mines due to priorities as it was not my daily driver. But did sell in 24 hours on Craigslist for $10k cash w/ 64k original miles (this was in 2006).

Ask on impalassforum.com for opinions OP.

I was a member on there and the "NT" of BBody

Be careful... A LOT of clones out there (9C1).

Peace

It kills me when people use KBB as law.

The car (and anything really) is only worth what people will actually pay.

96 Impala is probably the last classic American muscle car. If it's an actual SS and not a clone, then they definitely go for 18 and higher at that mileage.

It's age fits nowhere in the equation. As long as it has been halfway properly maintained, these can ride well into the 200-300K mile range. There are much crappier newer cars.

I don't really have an answer regarding rather it's worth it or not. If I had an extra 18K sitting around I'd do it though
pimp.gif

Not worth it at all

96 Impala aint even that fast, You can get a Cadillac for less and would outdo that Impala

I wouldn't pay 18k for an impala as and I'm a fan. I'd rather cop a grand national, regal type-t, 88 Monte Carlo SS, Chevelle 69, or 68 Camaro first.

Back
Top Bottom