iPhone: Post everything here

^Beejive is the best IM client out there...

And its not called iPhone backgrounder, just Backgrounder. I love it. Beejive is perfect now, and its great for Pandora. Not much different from Insomniathough.

I am missing the iPhone bad right now. Although I have the LG Dare on Verizon, it's just not the same.

It doesn't help that a pharmacist at work has the 3g iPhone. But, I know AT&T's service is awful in my area so it's not like I'm gonnamake the switch.

Originally Posted by jordanb1989

I'm an iphone noob also. I have the original with the update and itunes 8. can i jailbreak that? if so can someone give me the link?
and I'm not too sure of the term "jailbreak" but does that mean convert to a different carrier or just get all the extra stuff. thanks ion advance.

www.quickpwn.com We should really get a quick leasson on how to jailbreak on the first page or something??
Originally Posted by lboiczo

And its not called iPhone backgrounder, just Backgrounder. I love it. Beejive is perfect now, and its great for Pandora. Not much different from Insomnia though.

QFT. So ill.

Hey, I need some help with my iPhone. I put music on my phone, but the album art doesn't show up, and some of the songs skip when I play them. Whatshould I do?

Originally Posted by JDocs

Originally Posted by jordanb1989

I'm an iphone noob also. I have the original with the update and itunes 8. can i jailbreak that? if so can someone give me the link?
and I'm not too sure of the term "jailbreak" but does that mean convert to a different carrier or just get all the extra stuff. thanks ion advance.

www.quickpwn.com We should really get a quick leasson on how to jailbreak on the first page or something??
Originally Posted by lboiczo

And its not called iPhone backgrounder, just Backgrounder. I love it. Beejive is perfect now, and its great for Pandora. Not much different from Insomnia though.

QFT. So ill.

we would have to start a new thread.. might be a good idea too..

your album doesn't show up because some songs have bad coding.. meaning you can dl a whole album and 2 of the songs won't have the album art.. if youare really in need of it.. manually add the album art...

RIP to my iPhone, im not able to send or recieve calls, and it shows full bars =o( gotta take it to the apple store tomorrow

ok i see you guys drop lots of great info in here but im not about to look at 199 pages but I neeeed to know if a app or something have been release to sendpic/img text mail for a NON-unlocked 3g????

I dont want to jailbreak my phone because it Void everything right?!!!

or any info in Apple makin a app or something anytime soon????

Originally Posted by JDocs

MODS - hopefully you can attach this to the first page or something so people can easily find it...or update the title to say UPDATE: JAILBREAK TUTORIAL onpage xxx...

I learned the basics of jailbreaking from this thread and feel like I owe a tutorial to those who are trying to figure it out....I AM BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT ATANY OF THIS SO PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WILL WORK SMOOTHLY.
smile.gif
(but to put it into perspective...i am not tech-savy and it went prettysmoothly for me)... I'm not responsible if this bricks your iPhone either.
laugh.gif

I can't take credit for this write-up as i took it from the MacRumors forum and you can PM questions but i can only answer basaed on my own experience..sohere it goes...

What you need:

- iPhone 3G, 16 GB

- PC: Windows XP SP2 or Vista 32-bit, iTunes 8.0, .NET Framework 3.5 (this is important, so make sure you have this),QuickPwn 2.1

Google is your friend...

Once you have all that, you are ready to start....

1. Sync/Backup your iPhone completely. This is important should anything go wrong.

2. Backup that backup. Yes, you read right, navigate to your MobileSync folder and drag the "Backup" folder to ausb flash drive, or external hard drive, or make a copy to the desktop. This is because once we jailbreak and do a backup with jailbroken firmware, it willoverwrite your previously clean, 2.1 backup, and we don't want this.

Location of Backup folders in Windows: (credit to SwedishHammer, Mortagon and AFMagnum for additional info):

*IMPORTANT* Make sure you have folder options set to allow showing of hidden files and folders or you might not find the Backup folder!

Vista - C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME HERE)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

3. Download QuickPwn for Windows. It can be found here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4. Make sure you have STOCK, LEGIT Apple 2.1 firmware/ipsw already on your computer. If not, find itat http://iphonefreakz.com/iphone-firmwares/http://iphonefreakz.com/iphone-firmwares/ (find your model and firmware version.)

5. Before you QuickPwn, you are going to RESTORE (to restore: hold Ctrl and click "Restore" in iTunes) completely to stock2.1 firmware. This will restore your phone to the new 2.1 firmware. This is ok because we made a backup earlier, remember? This way after the restorethe iPhone has minimal crap on it and is primed for getting QuickPwned with no problems.

6. After you've restored to stock 2.1 firmware, reboot your computer. When your computer startsback up, you DO NOT have to kill any iTunes related processes like Apple Mobile Device Helper, or iTunes Helper.exe. NOTHING. As a matter of fact, don'teven start iTunes at all once you've restarted. If iTunes starts automatically, you can leave it open or close it, does not matter.

7. Make sure your iPhone is plugged in via USB. Then run QuickPwn.FOLLOW the steps carefully!! I'd go through the steps here, but it's pointless because QuickPwn tells you what you need to do as it is running.If you can follow basic on-screen instructions, you'll be fine.

8. Once QuickPwn is done and your phone has rebooted with Cydia/Installer on it, you have succeeded!But wait...there's more!

9. If you want your settings, SMS, and all that good stuff back from your previously non-jailbroken 2.1 firmware, now is the time to go aheadand do that. Right click your iPhone on the left iTunes sidebar and choose "Restore from Backup." Your latestclean backup should be available. Select it, and let it do its thing. This can take anywhere from 25-40 minutes, which is a LOT LESS than the ~4 hours it wouldtake pre-2.1 firmware. And yes, restoring from backup, even if your backup was made using clean/stock/non-previously jailbroken firmware is okay and will NOTerase the jailbreak or Cydia/Installer. In fact, it is suggested that you only restore from backup if that backup was made from clean firmware, and notjailbroken fimware as that could lead to problems.

10. When it has finished restoring from the backup, you will notice that all of your downloaded AppStore appsare gone...Cydia/Installer/the Jailbreak, SMS and settings and that stuff is still there, but the Apps are gone. You lost your game saves, everything.Right? Wrong!

11. Simply re-sync your iPhone with the Apps you previously had (this might already be checked for you in theiPhone Applications tab in iTunes) and when they are back on your phone, you will notice that the progress/data on all of those apps are EXACTLY likethey were before. Go ahead and resync the rest of your media, and you're done! You now have a Jailbroken iPhone running 2.1 firmware, and absolutely noneof your data was lost!
biggrin.gif

Remember that this is my personal experience, technology is always tricky and your hardware might be different, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks to SaNTi and retro23 for the help.

Welcome to the world of a Jailbroken iPhone!
pimp.gif
i will post my latestscreenshot of my homepage later...

Originally Posted by oO ThE RoC Oo

Hey, I need some help with my iPhone. I put music on my phone, but the album art doesn't show up, and some of the songs skip when I play them. What should I do?
Right click the song > get info > album art > add

is there a tutorial for doing the whole SNES/PS1 emulator set up anyone can hook me up with? and how to install the rom's
like, I need a step by step

thanks

Originally Posted by N0toriousBee

my latest setup

install 10, stack, categories, and human touch theme....all from cydia
pimp.gif
That is dope!

Anyway to make the gray bg on the second picture transparent?

What's the lock screen look like? There needs be a way to take a screenshot of this implemented.

What does install 10 do? I searched for it under cydia and nothing came up... I might also be looking into that stack app, seems like a good idea. Also, whatdoes that sun/datebook thing supposed to represent?

Originally Posted by rwfanatic

What does install 10 do? I searched for it under cydia and nothing came up... I might also be looking into that stack app, seems like a good idea. Also, what does that sun/datebook thing supposed to represent?

it puts 10 blank icons on your springboard so its invisible.. its under the steffwiz source so go to source and start typing "steff" and you itshould pop up.. install it and then search for install 10, or 5 or 20

but from the looks of it is it really necessary? If you can put whatever you want into that "folder" thing then why would you need black icons?

Originally Posted by rwfanatic

but from the looks of it is it really necessary? If you can put whatever you want into that "folder" thing then why would you need black icons?
So you can line them up from top to bottom. Pretty useless IMO.

Back
Top Bottom