Insight/Advice/Information about College from College Graduates/Working Professionals *(High School

I think this thread should be turned into a general career advice thread.

As far as college graduates giving advice to current undergrads, it's all pretty much the same: Get good grades, get involved, network, internship, etc

I think it will be more beneficial to current college students if people from NT give insights on what job interviews were like or what their average day consists of, or what they actually do at their job. I go to a school where majority of the student population is doing a business degree. There are so many finance majors that all want to do IB and don't seem to realize there are other things outside of IB like Equity Research, Risk Management, etc.

Also, for Business majors: keep up with current events and markets and learn to use Excel. Read articles on WSJ or Bloomberg to know what's happening in the world. I guarantee you if you go into an interview with a BB you will probably be asked something about current events and giving a half assed answer is not a good look. Excel is also VERY important. You don't have to be a genius at it but excel is used a lot in the professional world and having that knowledge will only help you. I've talked to upperclassmen who had internships at places like GS, JPMorgan, Citi, etc and they all told me if you know excel well, you will stand out because there are a lot of people out there who have the grades, clubs, etc but don't really know excel.

This is great advice right here.

I was not that proficient in Excel when I first started at my current job, and it really hurt. Even now, I'm not great at it but have a decent handle. Like SoleAsian said, Excel is used in so many different fields that it can only help to be good at it. For instance, I work in finance and my wife works in advertising and both of us have to use Excel on a daily basis (her more than me). Thnakfully she is a whiz at it and will help me out whenever I'm in a pinch.

I think this thread should be turned into a general career advice thread.
As far as college graduates giving advice to current undergrads, it's all pretty much the same: Get good grades, get involved, network, internship, etc
I think it will be more beneficial to current college students if people from NT give insights on what job interviews were like or what their average day consists of, or what they actually do at their job. I go to a school where majority of the student population is doing a business degree. There are so many finance majors that all want to do IB and don't seem to realize there are other things outside of IB like Equity Research, Risk Management, etc.
Also, for Business majors: keep up with current events and markets and learn to use Excel. Read articles on WSJ or Bloomberg to know what's happening in the world. I guarantee you if you go into an interview with a BB you will probably be asked something about current events and giving a half assed answer is not a good look. Excel is also VERY important. You don't have to be a genius at it but excel is used a lot in the professional world and having that knowledge will only help you. I've talked to upperclassmen who had internships at places like GS, JPMorgan, Citi, etc and they all told me if you know excel well, you will stand out because there are a lot of people out there who have the grades, clubs, etc but don't really know excel.

As someone who has gone on many different types of interviews (phone interviews, panel phone interviews, panel interviews, solo interviews) and conducted interviews myself.....I have some insight into this field.

Always show up early to your interview, wear a suit and come prepared to speak to your resume and with questions/knowledge of the position/company you are interviewing for/with.

From what I have learned interviewing folks:

-Once you have been selected for an interview with my employer, you are already deemed qualified for the position and at this point it is your job to lose. Your resume is good enough to qualify yourself to do the work and we are just seeing if you show up wearing a clown suit and speak fluent English. We must make sure you actually wrote this well qualified resume, you are a decent person to work with and we don't pick up on any red flags that would force us to cross you off our list. We like to get the candidates talking and feel them out and let them dictate where the interview goes. I like to get a feel for the actual person and how they would be working with others and what they can bring to the table.

From what I have learned interviewing for positions:

-Most Government agencies ask the same 7-8 generic open ended questions like:

"Tell me about a time you encountered a problem and succeeded?"

"Tell me about a time you had to work with others?"

"Tell me about a time you were forced to stop what you were doing and start something else to meet a deadline?"

They usually ask 8-10 of those style of questions. Ask you for an intro about yourself and then ask if you have any questions for them (even if you truly don't....ask 2-3 to show you care and are interested).

I have more input, just ask.

Recently completed my Master's in Political Science.

A few pieces of advice:

1. Attend class. You are paying for it, after all.

2. Get involved with clubs and associations. Not only is it a chance build networks and interact with peers, but involvement at an executive level is a chance to improve "real world" skills. Most of the experiences that were most valuable to me in undergrad came from these extracurricular activities.

3. Don't be concerned with your image. "Cool" doesn't exist on university campuses, so don't be afraid to put yourself out there and do something that might benefit you in the future.

4. Talk to your professors and TAs. Use the office hours provided to you. Profs and TAs are humans, too; most enjoy social interaction. Attending office hours, then, puts a name to a face-- especially if you're in a large first or second year lecture-- and demonstrates that you take your education seriously. They will remember this. More importantly, though, office hours can be instructive sessions. In the short term, this might be assistance on an upcoming paper or test (From experience, I can tell you that first and second year students rarely attended the office hours I held, so when students did show up, I was able to spend significant time with them answering questions and working through papers. In every case, the help improved their grades.); and in the long term, you might see the professor in an upper-year class or may require a reference letter from them for a future application (i.e. grad school, law school, grant application, scholarship) or they might need a research assistant ($$$).

5. Get an internship in your field during the summer. The job market is competitive, especially for social science and arts students. Relevant experience vastly improves your chances of employment following graduation.

Last edited:
any generic student organizations that usually are good for everyone? I haven't really liked any of the student organizations I've tried to be a part of so far... Ended up leaving most of them. :smh:

I need to step out of my shell but I hate making new acquaintances; most of those people I've met I ended up not liking at all. It's tough for me because I like being alone way too much. Networking is something I need to keep trying, but I'm only a sophomore so hopefully it'll get better. I'm probably going to join my department's club next year, but for now I'm just trying to get good grades.

Lastly, is there a desired time frame when a student should get an internship especially for engineering majors? I'm thinking about seeking one out for the summer only because I have no plans between the end of this academic year and the start of the next one.

Networking is an essential part of getting a successful career or landing a job.

It is just like dieting/what you are eating is an important part of achieving fitness goals. Working out without proper eating habits makes things less productive.

Just like getting a 4.0 without establishing any connections or branching out/conversing with others impedes one's progress.

Even introverts should put themselves in awkward situations and attempt to expand on this topic. You will one day be forced to work with others most likely in some capacity.

Back
Top Bottom