I'm going to be Rich...but my children are going to be hood.

The main reason I'd shy away from having em in the heart of the hood is the school system. Goddamn i HATE the system and what it turns some kids into
smh.gif
.Teachers/staff going out of their way to get kids in trouble and throw in jail eventually...That's where it starts.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

What I fail to get is how you compute that giving them a middle class support system. While letting them visit the hood, actually gives them hood virtues?

That makes no sense to me. The hood aint a theme-park of experiences.

If you live in the Hamptons but spend the summers on your cousins cattle farm in Virginia....you won't know what farm life is like?

Sure I will know what it's like, but I will still be a kid from the Hamptons on a farm. Not vice versa.

Yeah but that person can rightfully say that they are a farm boy/girl at heart and love and learned from the farm life.

Your frame of identity is a personal preference. Its not set in stone by your mailing address of bank account.

You have millionaires, who live in luxury condos yet claim to be cowboys.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

first of all, you already said you won't put your child in the slums. you said you would take them to the ghetto, but they'd still live and go to school in the suburbs. so how would they learn anything in the situation you posed?

secondly, like i just added in on the previous page, there's nothing significant to life that you can learn in the ghetto that you can't learn in any other environment.

sure, a kid from the ghetto may know how to eat cereal without milk and a kid from the suburbs couldn't... but at the end of the day, eating cereal without milk is not a virtue of success. but for some reason, you seem like a person who would value the experience of having to eat cereal without milk. i think that's what some people in this thread have a problem with.

all of the TRUE virtues of success in life.. (hardwork, determination, intelligence, patience, etc) can be effectively taught in ANY environment.

the certain "virtues" that are unique only to the ghetto are mostly just unpleasantries and negative experiences. and if you ask anybody who has REALLY been through the hood i'm sure most would say that they would have rather done without them.
thats essentially the point. Everything ain't peachy keen in the world. Problems will arise, and if you have never dealt with those type ofproblems before then you might get left behind. not saying everything is peachy keen in the suburbs but hell, it sure aint like the "ghetto".

What I fail to get is how you compute that giving them a middle class support system. While letting them visit the hood, actually gives them hood virtues?

If you live in the Hamptons but spend the summers on your cousins cattle farm in Virginia....you won't know what farm life is like?

Sure I will know what it's like, but I will still be a kid from the Hamptons on a farm. Not vice versa.

Yeah but that person can rightfully say that they are a farm boy/girl at heart and love and learned from the farm life.

Your frame of identity is a personal preference. Its not set in stone by your mailing address of bank account.

Yeah, but you have nobody making millions putting their kids in the hood. Not rational anyway you spin it.

If your kids want to be in the hood let them I guess
grin.gif
don't lead them there. If you lived in the hoods I have you wouldn't want your kids anywhereclose to there, stray bullets, death at anytime ? You really can't be serious.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I'm sure there are unique things to be learned from living in the Jungle like Mogley but so what? I'm also sure that we can all go live in the desert like Bedouins for an extended period of time and learn .well......how to live in the desert.

There's a good reason why everyone who's not a sadist want to get the #%@% up out of poverty and the ghetto.

I'm sure learning to live with cockroaches in a huge apt building ( btw, experienced that when my parents and I first immigrated to the US) teaches one how %$*%*%* indestructible they are but am I really better off knowing that?
laugh.gif

Sure, your kids may learn how to drink 40's out by the corner bodega but is it any better than rich kids gathering in their backyards and getting **$$ faced while swimming in their pools and %$*%*%* a chick in the gazebo? idk I've only experienced the latter and sitting in fron of a bodega is not what I would want my kdis to learn.
laugh.gif

The thing is of course there are "exclusive" traits to the Ghetto but they're almost all bad traits. Just like there are exclusive (bad) traits of the wealthy.
Cocaine is exclusive to the mid and upper class. The parents working 80 hours a week and almost never being home is also exclusive to many who are wealthy.

The good traits are not exclusive to any social class because they are just that, good human traits.
Honesty, hard work, compassion, giving, etc. All the things that your kids need to learn can be learned outside of the ghetto.
You see...this is why all of these arguments really hold no weight. Its clear that you all have not really experienced life in the hood.

Why would you levitate to drinking forties in the hood as the premiere experience of ghetto living. You ask some one form the hood about their memories growingup in the hood and you may hear some war stories but you will also hear about a lot of happiness, triumph and good experiences.
The thing is of course there are "exclusive" traits to the Ghetto but they're almost all bad traits

Can't really have a serious discussion on the matter if you think like this.

Originally Posted by 36hypno

I feel what you are saying....but those values can be taught without being in that environment. There are pros and cons to both sides of the coin.

Yeah, but you have nobody making millions putting their kids in the hood. Not rational anyway you spin it.

grin.gif
don't lead them there. If you lived in the hoods I have you wouldn't want your kids anywhere close to there, stray bullets, death at anytime ? You really can't be serious.

Your perception of the hood is bugged.

Death at anytime? Come on fam.

Chill out.

You can die anywhere at anytime. I'm not going to drop them off in the middle of Forrest projects, with an autistic family in the middle of a gang war.

You can't be serious with that one.

grin.gif
don't lead them there. If you lived in the hoods I have you wouldn't want your kids anywhere close to there, stray bullets, death at anytime ? You really can't be serious.

Chill out.

You can die anywhere at anytime. I'm not going to drop them off in the middle of Forrest projects, with an autistic family in the middle of a gang war.

what movies are you guys watching??? 40's, death at anytime ???

grin.gif

Chill out.

Dude speaking straight semantics
laugh.gif
of course you can die anywhere any time. Look at the murder rates in areas like Beverly Hills compared to Oakland. Thechances are much higher broski. I don't speak of perception I speak off experience. Of course since I lived in the hood I wasn't scared of anything,because it was my home , doesn't mean the risk wasn't there. Wake up.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I'm sure there are unique things to be learned from living in the Jungle like Mogley but so what? I'm also sure that we can all go live in the desert like Bedouins for an extended period of time and learn .well......how to live in the desert.

There's a good reason why everyone who's not a sadist want to get the #%@% up out of poverty and the ghetto.

I'm sure learning to live with cockroaches in a huge apt building ( btw, experienced that when my parents and I first immigrated to the US) teaches one how %$*%*%* indestructible they are but am I really better off knowing that?
laugh.gif

Sure, your kids may learn how to drink 40's out by the corner bodega but is it any better than rich kids gathering in their backyards and getting **$$ faced while swimming in their pools and %$*%*%* a chick in the gazebo? idk I've only experienced the latter and sitting in fron of a bodega is not what I would want my kdis to learn.
laugh.gif

The thing is of course there are "exclusive" traits to the Ghetto but they're almost all bad traits. Just like there are exclusive (bad) traits of the wealthy.
Cocaine is exclusive to the mid and upper class. The parents working 80 hours a week and almost never being home is also exclusive to many who are wealthy.

The good traits are not exclusive to any social class because they are just that, good human traits.
Honesty, hard work, compassion, giving, etc. All the things that your kids need to learn can be learned outside of the ghetto.
You see...this is why all of these arguments really hold no weight. Its clear that you all have not really experienced life in the hood.

Why would you levitate to drinking forties in the hood as the premiere experience of ghetto living. You ask some one form the hood about their memries grwoing up in the hood and you will hear the war stories but you will also hear about a lot of happiness and good lessons.
The thing is of course there are "exclusive" traits to the Ghetto but they're almost all bad traits

Can't really have a productive debate on the matter if you think like this.

Dude, there is a lot of happiness and good lessons in the suburbs or among the wealthy.

There are no traits that the hood teaches that are exclusive to it.
Name me good one trait that the hood teaches that can't be learned in the upper classes(or vice versa).

Your kids might be able to learn how to deal with stick ups but why would you want them to experience that in the first place?
I chose stick ups because that's exclusively hood, right?

Humans all share the same universal problems regardless of their economic status. They also share the same universal emotions.

That's why people dislike snobs. Snobs like to act like they're better or somehow different than all the others but they're really not.
btw, snobbery is not exclusive to the upper class.

I'm trying to think of one good trait that is unique to a single economic class and I can't even come up with one.

Originally Posted by Keithdajuiceman

grin.gif

Chill out.

what movies are you guys watching??? 40's, death at anytime ???

I never said anything about 40's. But if you seriously don't buy the death at anytime you haven't lived in the hood.

laugh.gif
of course you can die anywhere any time. Look at the murder rates in areas like Beverly Hills compared to Oakland. The chances are much higher broski. I don't speak of perception I speak off experience. Of course since I lived in the hood I wasn't scared of anything, because it was my home , doesn't mean the risk wasn't there. Wake up.

You just said you wouldn't walk the street after 8 in the hood that you used to live in?

Make up your mind.

laugh.gif
of course you can die anywhere any time. Look at the murder rates in areas like Beverly Hills compared to Oakland. The chances are much higher broski. I don't speak of perception I speak off experience. Of course since I lived in the hood I wasn't scared of anything, because it was my home , doesn't mean the risk wasn't there. Wake up.

You just said you wouldn't walk the street after 8 in the hood that you used to live in?

Make up your mind.

Now I wouldn't, best believe I did. I seen some things no child should.

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

first of all, you already said you won't put your child in the slums. you said you would take them to the ghetto, but they'd still live and go to school in the suburbs. so how would they learn anything in the situation you posed?

secondly, like i just added in on the previous page, there's nothing significant to life that you can learn in the ghetto that you can't learn in any other environment.

sure, a kid from the ghetto may know how to eat cereal without milk and a kid from the suburbs couldn't... but at the end of the day, eating cereal without milk is not a virtue of success. but for some reason, you seem like a person who would value the experience of having to eat cereal without milk. i think that's what some people in this thread have a problem with.

all of the TRUE virtues of success in life.. (hardwork, determination, intelligence, patience, etc) can be effectively taught in ANY environment.

the certain "virtues" that are unique only to the ghetto are mostly just unpleasantries and negative experiences. and if you ask anybody who has REALLY been through the hood i'm sure most would say that they would have rather done without them.
thats essentially the point. Everything ain't peachy keen in the world. Problems will arise, and if you have never dealt with those type of problems before then you might get left behind. not saying everything is peachy keen in the suburbs but hell, it sure aint like the "ghetto".
ahhh, of course... because you'll have to dodge bullets on a daily basis at your six-figure job. and having your house broken into and robbeda few times should prepare you for the ups and downs of Wall Street
laugh.gif

get outta here with that. if people who haven't experienced ghetto life "might get left behind", why is it that most of the successful people inthe country today come from suburban backgrounds? look it up.

and, ironically, the majority of the people who grow up in the ghetto and learn "ghetto virtues" end up being the ones left behind.

glad my parents don't think like OP. there's a difference between growing up with a silver spoon and growing up with money and tough lessons. it'sall about the parents and their ability to teach right and wrong, but... why not place your children in the best environment you can? bad logic.

you will find some the realest and most genuine population of humans on the Earth's surface.

My children will have more than adequate love, food, clothing and shelter...basically an upper middle class existence bu they will ration their childhood experiencing the ghetto. They are going to have to learn to interact with all children and experience the life of those less fortunate. I feel that is the best way to raise a balanced and insightful child.
Im def. gonna bring my kids around my areas so they know what its like where I grew up.

Ive been living on the same street 18 years now, never been farther then 20 mins away
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

Ive been living on the same street 18 years now, never been farther then 20 mins away
pimp.gif
How could you had possibility have a fulfilling life experience if you have never even left your state?

***I hope OP quotes all of this***

My 2 cents:

1. A few of you guys (and girl), including OP, seem to like arguing just for the sake of arguing. OP vaguely put his intentions in the 1st post but when peoplestarting getting riled up, instead of correcting them or editing the first post, he ran with it and then the arguing started. Thus a 20+ page full ofstereotypes & generalizations.

2. OP didn't clearly label his definition of "hood" until waaaaaaaay after the damage was already done. Confusion could have been avoided if hebeen 100 from the jump with his intentions but like I said, he loves to argue. He could have just as easily used a different adjective but he seems to saystuff for shock value.

3. My mother was born & raised on a farm in Iowa. My father lived the first 13 years of his life in New Jersey and every summer he would visit family inAlabama all summer. He finally moved down to Alabama for good 8th grade year. Both of my parents ended up joining the military relatively soon after graduatingHS. I'm a military brat and have had the privilege to be "privileged" and have lived all over and seen/visited alot of places. These experienceshave helped shape me and helped me become the young man I am today.

4. Being that both of my parents were in the military, I would consider myself to be in the middle or upper-middle class. Obviously OP will feel that I am"out of touch" with the "hood" but just because you weren't raised in a certain place doesn't mean you don't understand it. Iknow what farm life is like and I'd say that is the environment to be in if you want to build character. I've also been in the "hood". Mydad's side lives in Montgomery, AL and that city is just
tired.gif
. To bethe forefront of the historic Civil Rights era and to see where it is now is just truly sad. I truly feel for my cousins that have to experience what theyexperience and would certainly not wish that on anyone.

5. Glorifying lifestyles is what's up now? I certainly don't know what it's like to shoot hoops in a milk crate but I know what it's like tomilk a cow, bale hay, and ride in a tractor. That doesn't make my background anymore greater than anyone else's and definitely shouldn't give methe right to personally attack someone that is "living like I'm living." Your life experiences shape who you are but please don't come at mewith Place A >>>> Place B.

6. Parenting is the most influential aspect of raising a child. I personally look at my parents accomplishments and I want to not only match theirs but up theante so my kids will have someone successful to look up to. "Monkey see, monkey do."
laugh.gif

7. I would suggest enlisting in the military if you want to get the most diverse background possible.

8. Upper-class =/= snobby, materialistic, spoon fed, any other negative connotation, etc.

9. Personal attacks are not what's up.

Sorry for the "wall of text".

P.S. OP, you seem like you have honest intentions but I'm truly stumped. How can you try to force your kids to experience things when you are the same dudethat is all up in arms over the fact that black dudes date and/or prefer other races. Seems hypocritical to me.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

pimp.gif
How could you had possibility have a fulfilling life experience if you have never even left your state?

My 2 cents:

1. A few of you guys (and girl), including OP, seem to like arguing just for the sake of arguing. OP vaguely put his intentions in the 1st post but when people starting getting riled up, instead of correcting them or editing the first post, he ran with it and then the arguing started. Thus a 20+ page full of stereotypes & generalizations.

2. OP didn't clearly label his definition of "hood" until waaaaaaaay after the damage was already done. Confusion could have been avoided if he been 100 from the jump with his intentions but like I said, he loves to argue. He could have just as easily used a different adjective but he seems to say stuff for shock value.

3. My mother was born & raised on a farm in Iowa. My father lived the first 13 years of his life in New Jersey and every summer he would visit family in Alabama all summer. He finally moved down to Alabama for good 8th grade year. Both of my parents ended up joining the military relatively soon after graduating HS. I'm a military brat and have had the privilege to be "privileged" and have lived all over and seen/visited alot of places. These experiences have helped shape me and helped me become the young man I am today.

4. Being that both of my parents were in the military, I would consider myself to be in the middle or upper-middle class. Obviously OP will feel that I am "out of touch" with the "hood" but just because you weren't raised in a certain place doesn't mean you don't understand it. I know what farm life is like and I'd say that is the environment to be in if you want to build character. I've also been in the "hood". My dad's side lives in Montgomery, AL and that city is just
tired.gif
. To be the forefront of the historic Civil Rights era and to see where it is now is just truly sad. I truly feel for my cousins that have to experience what they experience and would certainly not wish that on anyone.

5. Glorifying lifestyles is what's up now? I certainly don't know what it's like to shoot hoops in a milk crate but I know what it's like to milk a cow, bale hay, and ride in a tractor. That doesn't make my background anymore greater than anyone else's and definitely shouldn't give me the right to personally attack someone that is "living like I'm living." Your life experiences shape who you are but please don't come at me with Place A >>>> Place B.

6. Parenting is the most influential aspect of raising a child. I personally look at my parents accomplishments and I want to not only match theirs but up the ante so my kids will have someone successful to look up to. "Monkey see, monkey do."
laugh.gif

7. I would suggest enlisting in the military if you want to get the most diverse background possible.

8. Upper-class =/= snobby, materialistic, spoon fed, any other negative connotation, etc.

9. Personal attacks are not what's up.

Sorry for the "wall of text".

P.S. OP, you seem like you have honest intentions but I'm truly stumped. How can you try to force your kids to experience things when you are the same dude that is all up in arms over the fact that black dudes date and/or prefer other races. Seems hypocritical to me.

I agree.

I'm a middle class black kid. Dad is from Astoria PJ's...Mom is from Crown Heights/Flatbush.

I've never lived in the HOOD in my life (my school is in a semi suspect place but nothing to the point im scared to death)....and I'm fine. Even if Idid live in the hood...I'd still be me cause of how I was raised. My parents never tried to put me and my sister in hood areas or around the lessfortunate...we BEGGED to go to public school and that was only for 2 yrs. I don't feel I missed out...I also feel like OP is taking the middle-upper class= snotty...thats a sweeping generalization and you as a black male shouldn't want to even go near those as we've suffered through enough of thosealready...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

%+%#, Jay-Z and Jadakiss are perfect role models right
eyes.gif
thats you bill o' reilly?

No, my son will idolize people who help the world, not just rich rappers. Sorry, I love both there music but aside from being rich talented artists, thereain't much to idolize about either dude.

OP will never ever ever be rich. Never ever. So this thread makes no sense.

It's so easy to lie on the internet. Everyone on the internet is rich, Everyone on the internet is good looking, Everyone on the internet dates hot chicks.@#$+@.

I have seen too many people work all their lives to provide for the next generation and their offspring grow up to be spoiled, unappreciative degenerates.
perhaps that has more to do with the parenting style of the affluent(or lack thereof)...rather than the environment.

too often.. you have dad's working long hard hours to afford the affluent lifestyle, with the mothers relying on the nanny/au pair to actually raise theirkids.

Back
Top Bottom