I'm going to be Rich...but my children are going to be hood.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by red mpls

What does this have to do with your children? I actually agree with you, I think you should work in the hood but you can do this without making your children hood. These places need better role models, I'd like to see more doctors, lawyers, etc work in these neighborhoods......it would be selfish however to bring a kid into this world just to raise them in unpleasant conditions. That is my point. If I have the opportunity to raise my kids with certain values without putting them through hell that's what I plan on doing. This argument has less to do with your choices and more to do with choices you're making for another human being.

And I'm saying the hoods here must not be that bad if people keep insisting on wanting to live there. Pay careful attention to the wording.
ohwell.gif
There are people living in certain conditions around the world who do not have a choice and would find this thread laughable.

And let's not act like the discussion of rap music and glorifying "hoodness" is not relevant....it's part of the whole mentality of complacency in many of these neighborhoods across America.

Fam, you can live raise children in the hood without "making them hood."  You're acting like I'm talking about living in a slum building with less than enough space for my family, giving my children no supervision to roam the streets, and providing them with no additional opportunities and resources than the average youth in the ghetto...

And you seem to be contradicting yourself saying the hoods here are not all that bad and then saying how irresponsible it is for people to raise their children in these communities.  You can't have it both ways.  And you're not telling me anything I don't know first-hand about slums in third-world countries.  What does that even have to do with this topic?

As far as glorifying "hoodness," almost anyone in any impoverished community would jump at the opportunity to work a livable wage job and move their family to a safer, more stable neighborhood so I'm not sure what kind of psychological dedication to the hood you're alluding to.  Society tells people from impoverished communities that they aren't %!+% and that they and their families are solely responsible for their situation and the conditions in their neighborhoods.  Society tells them to "get ahead" through education and hard work (as if that's all it's ever taken anyone) and then fails to provide adequate educational resources and employment opportunities.  So people develop a pride about being from the slums, something that society tells them should be a badge of shame... how dare they!

The "complacency" that you allude to is not innate and it's a symptom of larger issues, NOT the issue itself.
Well I guess you're going to have to be more specific about what "hood" is, cause like I said if you desire to raise your children in the "hood" whatever you consider hood is probably not that bad. My idea of the "hood" is somewhere I wouldn't wish anyone to live in if they didn't have to. I told you to pay close attention to the language, it isn't a contradiction.

Never said the complacency was innate
ohwell.gif
but it is a huge part of the problem.

Great post from UTVOL, I think you and I had similar upbringings.

To be specific I'm talking about communities like Englewood, Washington Park, Grand Boulevard, and Woodlawn in Chicago, e.i. what 99 percent of people in this country would consider the "hood."  I'm talking 95-100 percent Black, two-thirds or more low-income, rampant drug distribution and abuse, little to no community institutions, prevalence of street organizations, high incidence of murders and other violent crimes, vacant lots and boarded-up houses and buildings everywhere, etc.

If that's not the "hood" to you then you don't believe that a "hood" exists anywhere in America.  If not, I spent my early years in the favelas of Sao Paulo, Brazil by choice of my parents.  Have you heard of the favelas?  Is that "hood enough" for you?

Why don't you try being more specific?

red mpls, I respect your intentions, but alot of people in the hood won't care. My neighborhood in San Jose is pretty well off but located right next to the "hood". And the people from the "hood" do nothing but ridicule people with proper education, good jobs, etc. When I was a kid, my parents were nowhere near as well off as they are today, but they sacrificed their @#$ off to send me to a private school cause back then my local public school was a complete dump. As a result other kids from my neighborhood would try to harass me, steal my @#$%, etc just cause I was a "nerd". Nowadays my local public schools have students from both neighborhoods, and the hood dudes refuse to acknowledge any of the people from the better neighborhood, and the smart ones from the poorer neighborhood are called "white-washed" and are rejected by kids of their own race. Until people in the hood stop glorifying ignorance @#$% won't change.

And yes, I personally have tried to do my part . Throughout my 4 years in high school I volunteered for after school programs at low-income neighborhoods, and the amount of disrespect those kids show you just for being somewhat smart make you just want to snap and whoop their @#$.

No. This post is ignorant. You can ensure your child's upbringing is similar while not placing them in hood surroundings. Maybe this is you subconciously admitting that you don't think you'll be a good parent when the time comes. It's not necessarily about the the neighborhood they live in, but moreso the home they come to.

Fam, you can live raise children in the hood without "making them hood."  You're acting like I'm talking about living in a slum building with less than enough space for my family, giving my children no supervision to roam the streets, and providing them with no additional opportunities and resources than the average youth in the ghetto...

And you seem to be contradicting yourself saying the hoods here are not all that bad and then saying how irresponsible it is for people to raise their children in these communities.  You can't have it both ways.  And you're not telling me anything I don't know first-hand about slums in third-world countries.  What does that even have to do with this topic?

As far as glorifying "hoodness," almost anyone in any impoverished community would jump at the opportunity to work a livable wage job and move their family to a safer, more stable neighborhood so I'm not sure what kind of psychological dedication to the hood you're alluding to.  Society tells people from impoverished communities that they aren't %!+% and that they and their families are solely responsible for their situation and the conditions in their neighborhoods.  Society tells them to "get ahead" through education and hard work (as if that's all it's ever taken anyone) and then fails to provide adequate educational resources and employment opportunities.  So people develop a pride about being from the slums, something that society tells them should be a badge of shame... how dare they!

The "complacency" that you allude to is not innate and it's a symptom of larger issues, NOT the issue itself.
Well I guess you're going to have to be more specific about what "hood" is, cause like I said if you desire to raise your children in the "hood" whatever you consider hood is probably not that bad. My idea of the "hood" is somewhere I wouldn't wish anyone to live in if they didn't have to. I told you to pay close attention to the language, it isn't a contradiction.

Never said the complacency was innate
ohwell.gif
but it is a huge part of the problem.

Great post from UTVOL, I think you and I had similar upbringings.

To be specific I'm talking about communities like Englewood, Washington Park, Grand Boulevard, and Woodlawn in Chicago, e.i. what 99 percent of people in this country would consider the "hood."  I'm talking 95-100 percent Black, two-thirds or more low-income, rampant drug distribution and abuse, little to no community institutions, prevalence of street organizations, high incidence of murders and other violent crimes, vacant lots and boarded-up houses and buildings everywhere, etc.

If that's not the "hood" to you then you don't believe that a "hood" exists anywhere in America.  If not, I spent my early years in the favelas of Sao Paulo, Brazil by choice of my parents.  Have you heard of the favelas?  Is that "hood enough" for you?

Why don't you try being more specific?

More power to you brah, I'm a try to raise my kids in a slum in Liberia.....that's gonna make them better people.

Originally Posted by Storm2006

No. This post is ignorant. You can ensure your child's upbringing is similar while not placing them in hood surroundings. Maybe this is you subconciously admitting that you don't think you'll be a good parent when the time comes. It's not necessarily about the the neighborhood they live in, but moreso the home they come to.
This thread is straight up tomfoolery. People here are going to put their kids through hell for absolutely no reason.
ohwell.gif

AntonLaVey wrote:

More power to you brah, I'm a try to raise my kids in a slum in Liberia.....that's gonna make them better people.

If you raise your kids in hood at a 3rd world country all your gonna make is a killer. If your rich why not send them to military school?
And I say that because I was send to DR for 5 years and all that @*$% made me was a !*!%%%# monster ..

Originally Posted by StaYSMacKed

AntonLaVey wrote:

If you raise your kids in hood at a 3rd world country all your gonna make is a killer. If your rich why not send them to military school?
And I say that because I was send to DR for 5 years and all that @*$% made me was a !*!%%%# monster ..

I was being sarcastic and sending ur kids to military school may make them worse.

AntonLaVey wrote:

I was being sarcastic and sending ur kids to military school may make them worse.

Lol whered you get that from? so someone coming outtve a school where they where taught disipline and self control are worse than people that watch other people get their heads chopped off in the light of day? Now your just talking out your @ss or maybe you think you know everything.

Lol whered you get that from? so someone coming outtve a school where they where taught disipline and self control are worse than people that watch other people get their heads chopped off in the light of day? Now your just talking out your @ss or maybe you think you know everything.

"MAY" make them worse.....you think the kid wouldn't rebel when he gets out? Many/most kids who get sent to military school have conduct issues, some get help some turn out worse than when they went in. I'm not sending my damn kid to military school just for the hell of it, I don't think that's what this thread was getting at. It's about finding ways to raise kids with values of humility, hardwork and discipline when you're rich. Like UTVOL said there are a lot of misconceptions and stereotyping of upper and upper middle class. Some are spoiled brats, and some are the complete opposite.

Many people also send their kids to catholic school thinking that would make them better.

"MAY" make them worse.....you think the kid wouldn't rebel when he gets out? Many/most kids who get sent to military school have conduct issues, some get help some turn out worse than when they went in. I'm not sending my damn kid to military school just for the hell of it, I don't think that's what this thread was getting at. It's about finding ways to raise kids with values of humility, hardwork and discipline when you're rich. Like UTVOL said there are a lot of misconceptions and stereotyping of upper and upper middle class. Some are spoiled brats, and some are the complete opposite.

Many people also send their kids to catholic school thinking that would make them better.
Oh ok to each his own I guess..  if I was rich I'l send my kids to atleast 6months of military school.. Turn them into men, even if they dont have conduct issues..I'm sure they'll learn to appreciate things and thank me for it.. Thats just my opinion though

Oh ok to each his own I guess..  if I was rich I'l send my kids to atleast 6months of military school.. Turn them into men, even if they dont have conduct issues..I'm sure they'll learn to appreciate things and thank me for it.. Thats just my opinion though
lol, a penis aint enough to make ur male children "men"? jk...do you. The values I wanna teach my kids are very simple work hard, keep a perspective on life that lets you know constantly how blessed you are and how many people on this planet wish they could be in your shoes, and always be yourself.

This reminds me of the intro on Masta Ace 'Slaughtahouse.'

With the well-spoken school teacher lecturing the children that they must smoke blunts, carry weapons
and listen to rap music

I feel it's important to not just assume we are experts on child development, and do some research into it as well before embarking on that part of life.

even if he was serious or joking with this thread....this #+@$ went 27 pages like it was nothing

slim did what he had to do lol

and I kind of agree with him on alot of point's.

This is totally off topic but maybe someone can provide an explanation for me. Why is that damn near every hood or lower income area I have been in is littered with trash, just lots with trash scattered all over the ground why dont you see that in upper class neighborhoods? Serious question if someone can explain to me why that is?

Originally Posted by Ghost703

OP you sound stupid as hell

You can raise your children to be respectful, grateful of the things they have or don't have in life & to be responsible regardless of whether youraise them in a 6 figure family home or the projects. IMO the fact that you have already made your decision to raise your kids "hood" as if that isgoing to make a difference is bad.

Regardless of whether you raise your kids in a shack or a 6 bedroom single faimly home in Beverly Hills, CA YOU the parent will have moreeffect on how they interact with society and carry themselves around different people than the environment they're raised in.
realest post

Back
Top Bottom