"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

Obviously it's going to vary widely by subspecialty, hospital group vs outpatient, etc. but

Average base salaries for Kaisers (all specialties)
LA - 274
ATL - 329

This also doesn't take into account partnership tracks being harder/longer in LA.

Couple of examples of homes in the 350K range in LA I found quickly
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228977619-1661-W-35th-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90018
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228933355-160-E-77th-St-Los-Angeles-CA-90003
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228363971-134-E-82nd-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90003

All old and in bad areas.

Lol @ picking Kaiser
I specifically said surgeons. Is that $274k for surgeons who work on call or who work at a county or similar hospital?

Also try looking in zips 90043,44,47 next time. It's quite a few a "bad area" is very subjective living in LA. It's plenty of people with bread and even live in affluent areas investing in those same areas u posted.

:wink:

You realize surgeons work for Kaiser too right?

And it was in response to "I highly doubt any doctor is making more in ATL than Cali, esp when most down south and hell anywhere else for that matter always come here to work"

That is simply wrong and instead of using just anecdotal evidence, I used Kaiser as a more general example to back up my claim for doctors in general (not specialty specific). And since I'm not a surgeon I chose not to research surgeon specific salaries as they're not relevant to me.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/90043_zip/0-350000_price/

Not great options there either. There's a difference between living there and investing there.

I love LA (born and raised) but the fact of the matter there are much better places for physicians than here when you consider COL and salaries. Now will it be enough to make me leave? Hopefully not. Hopefully I can get a good enough gig after I finish training and my fiancee keeps progressing with her career.

View media item 1953860View media item 1953861

I normally don't like doing this especially because I'm getting first hand information but I can waste some time and play this research game too.

Stop misleading people.
View media item 1953860View media item 1953861

I normally don't like doing this especially because I'm getting first hand information but I can waste some time and play this research game too.

Stop misleading people.

Not misleading people. I don't give AF about surgeon salaries as I'm not one. I'm a radiologist so I care about radiologist salaries. I have firsthand information with relation to that specialty.

You said it's not possible for a doctor to make more in ATL than LA and I said that's false.

I also said "Obviously it's going to vary widely by subspecialty, hospital group vs outpatient, etc"

Edit - 400K in LA is equivalent to 288 in ATL while 375 in ATL is equivalent to 512 in LA. So which surgeon do you think is living more comfortably?

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Last edited:
The cop salary argument holds no weight.

Starting cop salary vs. Median home price:

Atl: 40k - 185k
LA: 60k - 568k

Spin it however you like, but the math speaks otherwise.
The cop salary argument holds no weight.

Starting cop salary vs. Median home price:

Atl: 40k - 185k
LA: 60k - 568k

Spin it however you like, but the math speaks otherwise.

First off! I don't know a single cop making less than $100k a year. The OT is too readily available and easy so most do it plus other bonuses they get.

Kind of like people think LAFD make $58k a year, lol they are consistently making $150 easy. LA real estate is unique and unlike any other area.

Most ppl making $60k now a days wont or cannot buy a $560k home but also if they did, I can prob bet in like two years it will have appreciated nicely whereas that $185k home after two years might still be at $185k. This allows the person in la options to tap into a heloc or sell for a profit. That's all income.

Lastly, LA is dumb huge so that median is tricky. There are probably more affluent areas inside la than any other city esp atl so those home prices really skew the middle to lower end homes.

First off! I don't know a single cop making less than $100k a year. The OT is too readily available and easy so most do it plus other bonuses they get.

Kind of like people think LAFD make $58k a year, lol they are consistently making $150 easy. LA real estate is unique and unlike any other area.

Most ppl making $60k now a days wont or cannot buy a $560k home but also if they did, I can prob bet in like two years it will have appreciated nicely whereas that $185k home after two years might still be at $185k. This allows the person in la options to tap into a heloc or sell for a profit. That's all income.

Lastly, LA is dumb huge so that median is tricky. There are probably more affluent areas inside la than any other city esp atl so those home prices really skew the middle to lower end homes.

You guys should search by specific cities like Santa Monica for a more accurate range

True. Yes the real desirable areas are up there.

There are some decent homes in zips 90044, 47 in the $350-400k range. If you are down to commute then even cheaper in parts of San Bernardino county, ijs.

Personally, I would not buy a piece of property with stagnant to negative appreciation. A lot of atl homes in that $100-200k range are either stagnant in values or decreasing. That's glorified renting. I'm good.

Also be clear, we have la city and la county (which is dumb huge) which makes a big difference especially when you start speaking of avg home prices.

Last edited:

All cops in major cities/counties can get a ton of overtime, that's not specific to LA :lol: I referenced a specific starting salary.

You could do a comparison of both metro areas instead of just the city, but you're still looking at a similar disparity.

i was just in atl for like a week and i'm from the DMV. and yes, if u doing it nice up here, with the same money down there u can "live like a king" down there. and let's not even talk about the women to men ratio. :wow: :evil:

Hey how are the women's heads down there though? I have heard different stories about how they interact with straight meant after finding out he actually isn't gay.

Been hearing how a lot of their minds n feelings are messed up from being traumatized by bf n husbands creeping on them with other men. Fill me in, I'm not well versed as you atl folks down there, lol.

its plenty women down here and these **** for everybody. 
laugh.gif
ya'll worried bout the wrong ****.

lol you the plug? Because I work as a BA now.

Sr. Gigs I`m usually seeing 70-85k with lead roles being the ones that take you to 90-100+

Email me your resume. I'll give it to my wife and see what can be done.

Company is Ceridian. Only problem is the job is off 400. :lol:

Go on the website to see anything you may be interested in, email me and apply for the job. I'll see what she can do.

She's a senior manager there...

Any developers in Atl, please do the same and email me. She looking for developers under her department. Must know ServiceNow.

Last edited:
Hey how are the women's heads down there though? I have heard different stories about how they interact with straight meant after finding out he actually isn't gay.

Been hearing how a lot of their minds n feelings are messed up from being traumatized by bf n husbands creeping on them with other men. Fill me in, I'm not well versed as you atl folks down there, lol.

:lol:. Man, the women are literally from all over the country in ATL.

Only on the internet, do dudes worry about the gay black male population of Atlanta for some weird reason. You're interaction is going to be the same as everywhere else. A lot of women are from out of town....I will say they are generally nicer and more willing to speak and more social than up north.

Reactions: OTG

Go on the website to see anything you may be interested in, email me and apply for the job. I'll see what she can do.

Any developers in Atl, please do the same and email me. She looking for developers under her department.

:nerd:....they looking for a dude with a Marketing & Business development background that's trying to be a BA.....cuz that's me :nerd:

:lol:. Man, the women are literally from all over the country in ATL.

Only on the internet, do dudes worry about the gay black male population of Atlanta for some weird reason. You're interaction is going to be the same as everywhere else. A lot of women are from out of town....I will say they are generally nicer and more willing to speak and more social than up north.

Yeah I heard about that [emoji]128527[/emoji]
Y'all like a transplant city and also a rest haven for la women.

Any developers in Atl, please do the same and email me. She looking for developers under her department.

Cool just sent a PM, I`ll send my resume before applying for anything just to hear if there is anything she recommends.

its good to see this thread thrive with folks from here.. The ATL thread in the Southeast section stays weak.

:nerd:....they looking for a dude with a Marketing & Business development background that's trying to be a BA.....cuz that's me :nerd:

Look on the site and if you see something let me know and ill let you know wusup before you apply.

i was just in atl for like a week and i'm from the DMV. and yes, if u doing it nice up here, with the same money down there u can "live like a king" down there. and let's not even talk about the women to men ratio. :wow: :evil:

Bro you should've hit me up when you came down

copw making 6 figures after overtime...after wat, 10 yrs on the job? i thought these people start low? :nerd: :nerd:

Lol people always talking about how cops in this country are power hungry etc and then they hear the salary and can't wait to join up with the goon squad.

Atlanta was the first city to get rid of Public Housing. Black Mecca? Those days are dead, and this is where it started. I was raised in Herndon and Harris Homes. I showed this vid to my childhood friend and his mother a while back. It made his mother cry. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom