"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

I was supposed to be meeting some folks out there on Friday, but plans changed. I never been for St. Pats but I always heard it was insane out there.

I Went to college there so I can vouch for it, pretty Much Mardi Gras in Green. I dont drink anymore though so literally have no reason to ever go again lol.

I Went to college there so I can vouch for it, pretty Much Mardi Gras in Green. I dont drink anymore though so literally have no reason to ever go again lol.

I can't even imagine what River St looks like. :lol:
What made you decide to stop drinking, if you don't mind me asking

Are there any solid entry level IT Business Analyst/PM gigs down there or even in the Raleigh area? I'm tryna move but can't find anything I qualify for. Sucks I have all this knowledge but can't translate it into an actual gig.

I'm tryna flourish down there w/ yall. :lol:

A lot of Drunk everyone

I can't even imagine what River St looks like. :lol:
What made you decide to stop drinking, if you don't mind me asking

Alcohol is just gross to me in general, and I dont enjoy the feeling of not being in control 100%. I dont knock those who do it though, just isn't for me.

First and last Savanah St. Pattys day I went to was in 2003. Had a blast back then but couldn't see myself doing it at 31 yrs old.

Under $200k for that big house? I'm scared to see what's a good hourly paying job.
I can't see wages being high if homes are this big n this cheap but school me if I'm wrong.
depends on your profession, but plenty jobs are underpaying out here compared to national average.....good question

I know doctors typically get more compared to NYC and Cali

how sway? i would think docs in nyc would get paid large since the cost of living is so high...i kno the ny tax rate is stupid high and cost of living is high so buying power is lower, but figured the salary rate is higher still.

Under $200k for that big house? I'm scared to see what's a good hourly paying job.
I can't see wages being high if homes are this big n this cheap but school me if I'm wrong.
depends on your profession, but plenty jobs are underpaying out here compared to national average.....good question

how sway? i would think docs in nyc would get paid large since the cost of living is so high...i kno the ny tax rate is stupid high and cost of living is high so buying power is lower, but figured the salary rate is higher still.

In medicine it's standard practice to underpay on the coasts because they know people are desperate to live there. The markets are super saturated.

Places in the boonies OTOH overpay like crazy to attract people. The difference can be as much as 300K starting

Last edited:

In medicine it's standard practice to underpay on the coasts because they know people are desperate to live there. The markets are super saturated.

Places in the boonies OTOH overpay like crazy to attract people. The difference can be as much as 300K starting

hmm so a doc could make way more living in...idk montana vs philly ? damn 300k, i would set black people back so far with that kind of money...

not srs.

well...yea not srs..

Last edited:

hmm so a doc could make way more living in...idk montana vs philly ? damn 300k, i would set black people back so far with that kind of money...

not srs.

well...yea not srs..

Yeah exactly.

In LA people were getting offers from 250 - 325 vs 500-600 in middle America

Cdc and emory down in ATL too...

Last edited:

I highly doubt any doctor is making more in ATL than Cali, esp when most down south and hell anywhere else for that matter always come here to work.

Unless you can readily indentify for example a surgeon on call who makes more than $10k per SHIFT then you might be right. It's doctors out here caking on some astronomical...

As far as making $36k to be a policeman risking your life and a home costing $200k, that's not a lot of money left over after you pay your note unless you dropped down half on that house.

The only way I would even semi consider moving to atl to live, work, and buy a home like above for $200k is if they salaries were close to LA...they are not so I'm good. LA is unique because you can make a lot of money hear but cost of living is not so so high whereas in the bay, the salaries are dumb high and the rent and everything else is too.

You can work in Beverly Hills for example and make nice coin then go buy in a much less affluent area within 30 minutes distance and get a decent home for $350k (approx $1500 mortgage).

B.A's in Atlanta making 100k depends on experience.

Last edited:

I highly doubt any doctor is making more in ATL than Cali, esp when most down south and hell anywhere else for that matter always come here to work.

Unless you can readily indentify for example a surgeon on call who makes more than $10k per SHIFT then you might be right. It's doctors out here caking on some astronomical...

As far as making $36k to be a policeman risking your life and a home costing $200k, that's not a lot of money left over after you pay your note unless you dropped down half on that house.

The only way I would even semi consider moving to atl to live, work, and buy a home like above for $200k is if they salaries were close to LA...they are not so I'm good. LA is unique because you can make a lot of money hear but cost of living is not so so high whereas in the bay, the salaries are dumb high and the rent and everything else is too.

You can work in Beverly Hills for example and make nice coin then go buy in a much less affluent area within 30 minutes distance and get a decent home for $350k (approx $1500 mortgage).

Obviously it's going to vary widely by subspecialty, hospital group vs outpatient, etc. but

Average base salaries for Kaisers (all specialties)
LA - 274
ATL - 329

This also doesn't take into account partnership tracks being harder/longer in LA.

Couple of examples of homes in the 350K range in LA I found quickly
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228977619-1661-W-35th-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90018
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228933355-160-E-77th-St-Los-Angeles-CA-90003
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228363971-134-E-82nd-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90003

All old and in bad areas.

Obviously it's going to vary widely by subspecialty, hospital group vs outpatient, etc. but

Average base salaries for Kaisers (all specialties)
LA - 274
ATL - 329

This also doesn't take into account partnership tracks being harder/longer in LA.

Couple of examples of homes in the 350K range in LA I found quickly
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228977619-1661-W-35th-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90018
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228933355-160-E-77th-St-Los-Angeles-CA-90003
http://www.trulia.com/property/3228363971-134-E-82nd-Pl-Los-Angeles-CA-90003

All old and in bad areas.

Lol @ picking Kaiser
I specifically said surgeons. Is that $274k for surgeons who work on call or who work at a county or similar hospital?

Also try looking in zips 90043,44,47 next time. It's quite a few and "bad area" is very subjective living in LA. It's plenty of people with bread and even live in affluent areas investing in those same areas u posted.

:wink:

Last edited:
The cop salary argument holds no weight.

Starting cop salary vs. Median home price:

Atl: 40k - 185k
LA: 60k - 568k

Spin it however you like, but the math speaks otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom