"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

It's a great place to move for millenials. I had posted a comment about my experiences here from the past seven years;starting as an undergrad in college to a young professional in the corporate field. Are you in NYC now?

I`m in the heart of ATL right now. IMO for Millennial nothing beats intown, the OTP burbs imo are best for people who want a lot of land and want good public schools being that they cant do the private school thing or home school. I think for Millennials Marietta/Smyrna are the best burbs though as they are super close to 285 and 75 thus giving multiple ways to get in town.

nobody likes downtown decatur/avondale area?

2 mill in LA depending on the neighborhood
mean.gif

I really might look into going back to ATL

[thread="645321"]I went to Georgia State and only lasted a semester moving from cali to all.  I don't care how much cheaper it is ATL just isn't cali[/thread]
[thread="645321"] [/thread]
2 mill in LA depending on the neighborhood :smh:

Oh I know. I lived in ATL for 4 years. Bay for 6 years and LA the rest of my life.

The difference in being able to afford a 2 mill house vs a 400K one is huge when considering student loans, private school etc.

I'm not going through all this schooling and training just to struggle when I finish :lol:

I`m in the heart of ATL right now. IMO for Millennial nothing beats intown, the OTP burbs imo are best for people who want a lot of land and want good public schools being that they cant do the private school thing or home school. I think for Millennials Marietta/Smyrna are the best burbs though as they are super close to 285 and 75 thus giving multiple ways to get in town.
The uptown here has a vast majority of millenials, as well as neighboring areas (South End, Plaza Midwood, University Area, and Dilworth). As for suburban areas, I would say it is congruent to your statement of ATL. I wish I could give you a comparison to ATL but I've only been to Alpharetta, Downtown, Perimeter, and Buckhead

The uptown here has a vast majority of millenials, as well as neighboring areas (South End, Plaza Midwood, University Area, and Dilworth). As for suburban areas, I would say it is congruent to your statement of ATL. I wish I could give you a comparison to ATL but I've only been to Alpharetta, Downtown, Perimeter, and Buckhead

Yea GA is funny that due to it still being the South everyone wants to be a chief so Metro ATL is divided into 10+ counties with 100+ towns when imo Atlas Dekalb, Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett should be "Atlanta" the City. The funny thing is many of these suburbs divided themselves to keep blacks and other minorities out but now they are the most diverse areas in the Metro (Cobb and Gwinnett).

Oh I know. I lived in ATL for 4 years. Bay for 6 years and LA the rest of my life.

The difference in being able to afford a 2 mill house vs a 400K one is huge when considering student loans, private school etc.

I'm not going through all this schooling and training just to struggle when I finish
laugh.gif

Yea GA is funny that due to it still being the South everyone wants to be a chief so Metro ATL is divided into 10+ counties with 100+ towns when imo Atlas Dekalb, Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett should be "Atlanta" the City. The funny thing is many of these suburbs divided themselves to keep blacks and other minorities out but now they are the most diverse areas in the Metro (Cobb and Gwinnett).
Hahaha. Thanks for clarity because I had people tell me they are from ATL but from a completely different county than the next person. Hell, Charlotte metro consist of four counties in South Carolina lol

I'm not going through all this schooling and training just to struggle when I finish :lol:

Oh definitely. It's not just LA vs ATL.

Just commenting on ATL since that's what the thread is about and I actually have lived there.

It really depends on how many kids me and my fiancee end up having. If we have none or one I could see us living in a condo/smaller townhome on the Westside of LA (where we both want to live) long-term. If we have 2 or 3 we're going to want more space and that's not going to be affordable in the desirable areas of SoCal so it's a matter of paying a lot to live in a meh area of SoCal vs paying less for a big house out of state in ATL, Texas, Charlotte, Phoenix etc

downtown decatur is
smokin.gif
. that might be my next move after my lease ends in September. getting tired of EAV's bar scene. need to swtich it up.
good choice.. i grew up there and loved it. wanna move back one day.

Oh definitely. It's not just LA vs ATL.

Just commenting on ATL since that's what the thread is about and I actually have lived there.

It really depends on how many kids me and my fiancee end up having. If we have none or one I could see us living in a condo/smaller townhome on the Westside of LA (where we both want to live) long-term. If we have 2 or 3 we're going to want more space and that's not going to be affordable in the desirable areas of SoCal so it's a matter of paying a lot to live in a meh area of SoCal vs paying less for a big house out of state in ATL, Texas, Charlotte, Phoenix etc

I think at this stage, if possible, being closer to fam means a lot more. Gotta have some extra hands and the occasional escape/moral support.

Forreal.

My girl and I make about 110k combined and were looking at what we could buy in the DC area, nothing but old townhouses unless we move to deep burbs.

I'll be damned if I spend 400k+ and have to share a wall with my neighbors :lol:

With a 110k income you can get a crib like the one I own down here. You can live quite well on that salary. You may not be balling but you def can make that work

With a 110k income you can get a crib like the one I own down here. You can live quite well on that salary. You may not be balling but you def can make that work

Oh I know, trust me we've looked :lol:. Saw single family homes for 200k in GA. That's unheard of around DC, even in the hoodest of hoods.

:smh: bmore and north philly are no joke.

Breh, I ran in 5K there. Then we went on the "The Wire" tour... :smh:

I actually cried. Not because I'm soft or anything but because I actually saw "the system". I felt bad for them kids, 90% of them don't even stand a chance.

real tears tho? damn :smh: i've never seen the worst parts of bmore, but i had family near MICA (and a good friend studying there) so when i'd visit id see the nice brownstones n ****, but that wouldn't stop the hood from spilling into that area, with violence. but i did see a lot of north philly while living there. never seen so many boarded up houses and empty lots.

i feel you tho. that's why i appreciate the wire for artistic and cultural significance. lotta hoods across america, these kids just need to be pointed in the right direction. just saw a vid about black youth in oakland and the ways some in the school and police are trying to increase outreach and guidance towards success. looking to volunteer at an afterschool program, and hopefully inspire some minority youth, show em that there is more to life than cement 4s or the neighborhood they might've never seen beyond.

[thread="645321"]I went to Georgia State and only lasted a semester moving from cali to all.  I don't care how much cheaper it is ATL just isn't cali[/thread]
[thread="645321"] [/thread]
2 mill in LA depending on the neighborhood :smh:

i hear you.

i think that is the problem with our generation, and not of our fault either. **** just costs way to much and the worst part is that the costs went up in only one generation. our parents/baby boomers/old farts in congress had it easy. **** didn't cost that much back in the 60s and 70s. now to grab a place in DC, Boston, or NYC, you need mad $$$$$ to buy a spot, or even rent. but the south, like ATL, austin, etc...multi room houses for not even 400k.

my boy just moved back from austin and he came back like 'yo texas is where its at, the power of the dollar there is serious' esp with no state tax.

just heard on NPR today that brooklyn is the most expensive place to get real estate with respect to avg cost of a home like 700k

View media item 1952046
This is how I'm kinging in GA...25 mins from downtown

:smh: people in the south winning on that housing market. a house that size is for the super rich here in nyc...

Last edited:
real tears tho? damn :smh: i've never seen the worst parts of bmore, but i had family near MICA (and a good friend studying there) so when i'd visit id see the nice brownstones n ****, but that wouldn't stop the hood from spilling into that area, with violence. but i did see a lot of north philly while living there. never seen so many boarded up houses and empty lots.

i feel you tho. that's why i appreciate the wire for artistic and cultural significance. lotta hoods across america, these kids just need to be pointed in the right direction. just saw a vid about black youth in oakland and the ways some in the school and police are trying to increase outreach and guidance towards success. looking to volunteer at an afterschool program, and hopefully inspire some minority youth, show em that there is more to life than cement 4s or the neighborhood they might've never seen beyond.
i hear you.

i think that is the problem with our generation, and not of our fault either. **** just costs way to much and the worst part is that the costs went up in only one generation. our parents/baby boomers/old farts in congress had it easy. **** didn't cost that much back in the 60s and 70s. now to grab a place in DC, Boston, or NYC, you need mad $$$$$ to buy a spot, or even rent. but the south, like ATL, austin, etc...multi room houses for not even 400k.

my boy just moved back from austin and he came back like 'yo texas is where its at, the power of the dollar there is serious' esp with no state tax.

just heard on NPR today that brooklyn is the most expensive place to get real estate with respect to avg cost of a home like 700k
:smh: people in the south winning on that housing market. a house that size is for the super rich here in nyc...

5 bedrooms , 3 1/2 baths and full basement caught a jugg under 200k [emoji]129297[/emoji]

mann

yall boys stealing down there in GA. 

Forreal.

My girl and I make about 110k combined and were looking at what we could buy in the DC area, nothing but old townhouses unless we move to deep burbs.

I'll be damned if I spend 400k+ and have to share a wall with my neighbors :lol:

I was looking at brand new townhomes where the neighbors can high five each other from the balcony starting at 750k in nothern va. Wild.

Back
Top Bottom