"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

There does need to be more transparency, however, that doesn't help the banks and Wall St. so we won't see it. The logic makes 0 sense in some instances like the example you gave, just flat out foolish. There's also other underlying causes that won't be mentioned in this thread.
Black communities will never recover because there aren't enough of us to be able to afford homes due to various reasons. And even if many of us did, there's still the fact that we don't own the banks. People keep forcing us into segregated neighborhoods but then say we're trying to self-segregate.

Historically any time Blacks try to move into the "good neighborhoods" the white residents get the hell on. We have to stop trying to act like their rules apply to us and call the system out for what it is. We keep trying to act like this American Dream fallacy was meant for Blacks when it wasn't. Black have never had a "Good Ol Days" in America.

Black communities will never recover because there aren't enough of us to be able to afford homes due to various reasons. And even if many of us did, there's still the fact that we don't own the banks. People keep forcing us into segregated neighborhoods but then say we're trying to self-segregate.
This is completely false. Did you read the article? The same county the same houses, only thing that differs is race.

I am talking about home value, these are great neighborhoods, but yet these people have lost 70-100K in wealth.

These disparities, though, are not simply about income, about higher poverty levels among blacks, or lower-quality homes where they live, according to economists who have studied the region. The disparities exist in places, like neighborhoods in South DeKalb County, where black families make six-figure incomes.

In the middle- and upper-class subdivisions where Early was driving one winter day, there’s little visible blight. But there also isn’t a for-sale sign in sight. People who would like to sell well-kept homes don’t believe they’ll be able to, which, in a market struggling to recover, means that other people won’t be able to sell, either.

Touring the neighborhood, Early pulls into Southland, a subdivision popular with black professionals before the bust, and parks in front of a five-bedroom home in whitewashed brick that backs onto a golf course. In 2005, it sold for $440,900. Most recently, last June, it sold for $290,000.

He pulls up to another home — $70,000 in wealth lost. And another — $100,000 just vanished.

He parks in the driveway of a spacious red-brick home with blue shutters and two maple trees out front. David Sands and his family paid $269,000 for it in 2005. The last time he tried to refinance it, he was told it was worth $189,000.

“It just does not make sense,” says Sands, a retired Air Force information manager with two grown children, sitting in his living room with Early.

The two men co-chair a housing committee for the local community improvement association that is researching what’s wrong with housing values. “You’ve got doctors, lawyers, teachers, all kinds of professional people, retired military like myself, who’ve done everything right — everything right — and it never seems to work out in our favor,” Sands says. “We’re not talking about people who got fraudulent loans, who didn’t have jobs to pay for them.”

There’s something fundamentally unfair about that, he and Early believe, about all the African Americans here who got the education, to get the job, to buy the home, to create the wealth, to sustain their families — only to fall behind anyway.

This is completely false. Did you read the article? The same county the same houses, only thing that differs is race.
I am talking about home value, these are great neighborhoods, but yet these people have lost 70-100K in wealth.

I grew up in that County.

The issue at hand is you had 2 scenarios, you had working class neighborhoods where when people started losing their homes due to lay offs that led to foreclosures janky investors swooped in and bought up a ton of streets and made em Section 8 housing, and this is where the people who were gentrified out of ATL City Limits due to projects shutting down were sent to, so regular neighborhoods became high crime hoods, and then you have upper middle Class neighborhoods where people "did everything right" and still saw their values go down the drain meanwhile the Working Class and upper class white neighborhoods on the northside of the County were literally untouched.

Nah what sucks is the System of White Supremacy lol. There are Black Communities that kept their neighborhoods and areas in tip top shape yet have not recovered.
My point exactly, its sickening to see. As I get older I have started to realize what is going on.

If you are from the DMV area just look at the National Harbor vs Old Town. Look at the home values, and look how the harbor still hasn't recovered.

The schools aren't as good in oxon hill of course , but NH will never reach Old Town levels.

There does need to be more transparency, however, that doesn't help the banks and Wall St. so we won't see it. The logic makes 0 sense in some instances like the example you gave, just flat out foolish. There's also other underlying causes that won't be mentioned in this thread.

Historically any time Blacks try to move into the "good neighborhoods" the white residents get the hell on. We have to stop trying to act like their rules apply to us and call the system out for what it is. We keep trying to act like this American Dream fallacy was meant for Blacks when it wasn't. Black have never had a "Good Ol Days" in America.

Exactly, insert Redlining. So when we do build great communities, they're seen as a negative thing. :smh:

capital sb capital sb I read the article, I'm talking from a point of self-sustaining, because that seems to be the only way for black neighborhoods to thrive.

We also need to address the fact that schools are funded with property taxes, which is also bogus, as mentioned in the article. People want their children to go to great schools, yet you have a system set up and designed to hinder black people in the housing market which affects the schools in the area.

My point exactly, its sickening to see. As I get older I have started to realize what is going on.

If you are from the DMV area just look at the National Harbor vs Old Town. Look at the home values, and look how the harbor still hasn't recovered.
The schools aren't as good in oxon hill of course , but NH will never reach Old Town levels.

I think Black folks should def play the Real Estate game when it comes to owning land for the purpose of generating income, but the whole "I`m going to get a house to live in and gain a ton of equity" thing is a pipe dream because you have a system that literally can dictate how much your home is worth no matter what you do.

I think Black folks should def play the Real Estate game when it comes to owning land for the purpose of generating income, but the whole "I`m going to get a house to live in and gain a ton of equity" thing is a pipe dream because you have a system that literally can dictate how much your home is worth no matter what you do.
It's a must, we have to play the real estate investmennt game to build wealth. Like you said the days of your primary home making you wealthy is over for black people.

Unless you can afford to be one of the few to buy in a rich white neighborhood.

Last edited:

It's a must, we have to play the real estate investmennt game to build wealth. Like you said the days of your primary home making you wealthy is over for black people.

Unless you can afford to be one of the few to buy in a rich white neighborhood.

Truth, problem is, we still have a lot of us begging for a seat at the table instead of learning how to finesse the system to benefit us. While that's coo to want the seat, you can't want for the sake of hoping to be seen as equal but to use that position to learn and make your own moves for you and your own people.

Truth, problem is, we still have a lot of us begging for a seat at the table instead of learning how to finesse the system to benefit us. While that's coo to want the seat, you can't want for the sake of hoping to be seen as equal but to use that position to learn and make your own moves for you and your own people.
I don't want a seat lol, I want my own table. I get what you are saying though, same way alot of blacks feel as if they should be treated better because of their degrees
laugh.gif

I don't want a seat lol, I want my own table. I get what you are saying though, same way alot of blacks feel as if they should be treated better because of their degrees :lol:

Oh believe me, I don't want a seat either. If they offer it, I'll take it and play like it's the best thing that happened to me, build the knowledge and build my table and room under their noses. Play possum, then when they realize when I'm doin, if they do, it's too late.

I don't want a seat lol, I want my own table. I get what you are saying though, same way alot of blacks feel as if they should be treated better because of their degrees :lol:

Lol exactly I want no parts of the current table because that table can only exist on the backs of those deemed 2nd class.

So it's not a good thing being black in and moving to Atlanta anymore?
If you're moving to my city to start a legitimate career, they're better city's. If you have a business of your own and are trying to grow it; Atlanta is the place for you to some degree. 

Why has there been an exodus of black residents from West Coast liberal hubs?  - link

West coast Blacks are leaving for the south
Where else are black Americans moving? One destination dominates: the South. A century ago, blacks were leaving the South to go north and west; today, they are reversing that journey, in what the Manhattan Institute's Daniel DiSalvo dubbed “The Great Remigration.” DiSalvo found that black Americans now choose the South in pursuit of jobs, lower costs and taxes, better public services (notably, schools) and sunny weather for retirement.

Last edited:
Why has there been an exodus of black residents from West Coast liberal hubs? - link

West coast Blacks are leaving for the south

Where else are black Americans moving? One destination dominates: the South. A century ago, blacks were leaving the South to go north and west; today, they are reversing that journey, in what the Manhattan Institute's Daniel DiSalvo dubbed “The Great Remigration.” DiSalvo found that black Americans now choose the South in pursuit of jobs, lower costs and taxes, better public services (notably, schools) and sunny weather for retirement.

This might be me in a couple years. Cali prices are just nuts.

That's funny. I know few people here in the NYC area, myself included, that want to move West.

Same here. Used to long commutes in NY though so I wouldn't mind living outside of L.A. Looking for something a bit slower than NYC and I'm done with only having a few months of good weather. Plus the medical Dispensaries. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
That's funny. I know few people here in the NYC area, myself included, that want to move West.

Well NYC is one of the few places more expensive than LA so it makes sense

If money wasn't an issue I'd choose the Bay Area to raise a family

Same here. Used to long commutes in NY though so I wouldn't mind living outside of L.A. Looking for something a bit slower than NYC and I'm done with only having a few months of good weather. Plus the medical Dispensaries. 
nthat.gif
Venice Beach, or West Hollywood >>>>>

...was gonna get a place out there a few years ago, in my Hank Moody phase. My wife wit it now, so.
If not those two, then Baldwin Hills.

Same here. Used to long commutes in NY though so I wouldn't mind living outside of L.A. Looking for something a bit slower than NYC and I'm done with only having a few months of good weather. Plus the medical Dispensaries. :nthat:

Venice Beach, or West Hollywood >>>>>

...was gonna get a place out there a few years ago, in my Hank Moody phase. My wife wit it now, so.

If not those two, then Baldwin Hills.

What specific about Venice Beach and WeHo intrigued you? Just curious

What specific about Venice Beach and WeHo intrigued you? Just curious
I really liked the area when I'm out there. It's like Williamsburg, Brooklyn ...only on the beach, with palm trees, cool locals, and nice views.

Locals are much friendlier than New Yorkers. I mean some millionaire dude I didn't even know was just like, "hey, wanna beer"?

He had a beachfront property. Me and an associate were down there scoping out business space and apartments while on business.

The millionaire guy was chill and helpful we chill at the guy's crib for like an hour.

The women are much friendlier too, it's not like New York where there's this weird and unnecessary sexual tension.

The hospitality seems exclusive to that area. 

West Hollywood and Koreatown was more of a price and location kind of thing. It's affordable, and close to everything. The landscape is amazing.

Then there's In and Out burger on Sunset, it's always poppin' in the AM ...Sunset strip in general just seems gritty and raw. Real, for lack of a better term.

Baldwin Hills is like Atlanta to me

Beverly Hills is nice too, I just don't have time for the "extra'ness"...people trying to live up to the persona of being elite.

Especially when the country is in shambles financially.

Inglewood and Compton are nice too, contrary to how it's portrayed on TV. However, there was a little static for me on time.

And the amount of dudes I seen getting ruffed up on squad cars at night was unreal.

I was like, nah. I'm good on that.

**** give me a good paying job in LA, I'd move quick fast and in a hurry. I just like the whole scene there

Back
Top Bottom