I want to move to nyc. Advice?

Pretty nice thread but i also plan to come to NYC next year!

My plan is a little different the others. Im planning on coming to NYC thru nse (national student exchange) next fall semester to attend queens college new york for a year. Stay on campus at one of the dorms or students housing (heard that the school doesnt offer much). With nse i will pay tuition to my home college and get financial aid. Work a lot over the summer before to have some cash to live off......will transfer with my job (best buy) and also probably get  a research job (doing food science) at one of the local colleges if not a hospital for more funds and experience. Going to be in college for a while because i going to get my masters in food science to wont be able to live in nyc like i want until 28-30. So i can get a year done now to see if i really want to move thru after school.

I'm in a similar state of mind. I'm not still in school and I have my degree with an eye on moving to NYC coming from FL.
I was born on LI and I still have family out there and every time I go to the city the desire to stay only grew stronger. I couldn't make the move without a job lined up, though.... And I'd need to do more research on the better places to live for cheap in the outer boroughs. I'm definitely not underestimating the challenges of making the move and living there.. But I'm looking forward to it.

You're a smart dude.

With a relevant degree in NYC, you'll flourish.

Mad nice neighborhoods in the Bx, Bk and Queens for less than $1,500 a month.

Good luck.

I appreciate it. When the time comes I'll probably need some advice on neighborhoods from fellow NTers.

Anything above 90th dangerous.
Chinatown, Little Italy, and Lower East Side is okay but sketchy.
Top 5 most expensive:
-Tribeca
-Upper East
-Upper West
-Chelsea
-Midtown
Moderate:
Village
SoHo
NoHo
Financial District
Lower East Midtown
Regardless NYC is expensive even including the hood areas that can go upwards of 1500 to 2000.
Studios range from 1200+

Nice but you're tripping bro. Morning Side Heights is not the hood. Harlem is shrinking day by day. I would say it's safe all the way up to 106th street now.

In 15 years Harlem is going to start at 125th street. Better prepare to live in the Bronx.

Wait what? People from the Upper West side and East are starting to head more downtown. They're already invading Chelsea, the rent here is going up. Harlem is still Harlem. Nobody wants to live in the Upper 90's.

Anything above 90th dangerous.
Chinatown, Little Italy, and Lower East Side is okay but sketchy.
Top 5 most expensive:
-Tribeca
-Upper East
-Upper West
-Chelsea
-Midtown

Moderate:
Village
SoHo
NoHo
Financial District
Lower East Midtown

Regardless NYC is expensive even including the hood areas that can go upwards of 1500 to 2000.
Studios range from 1200+
The maps are pretty funny.

Eh, above 90th on the UES isn't dangerous at all, into the low 100s isn't too nice and a definite change in demographics but still not dangerous really. I personally wouldn't go above 96th but I'm really white.

I just moved here in the beginning of August from Memphis, but I grew up in Baltimore my whole life. I moved for the same reason you did, life i Memphis was slow as hell and it frustrated me because I'm use to a much faster pace. I did however have a job lined up.

First thing. Make sure you have a good amount of money saved up because finding an apartment is expensive. Depending on when you move you may have to pay a broker to help you find a place, this could cost at least 3 months of rent up front. I didn't go the broker roue but I still had to pay a security deposit that was one months rent in addition to the first months rent.

To say everything above 90th is hood is ridiculous there are some really nice neighborhoods you just have to search and get a vibe of the area. I live in Washington Heights but I don't feel like my area is hood or unsafe. Actually to my understanding my area is safer than chelsea, tribecca, and several of those other expensive *** areas.

The city is expensive but it's more than manageable if you know where to look. Some tips that have helped me get through my first month (this tips should actually be followed by anyone trying to stretch there money in any city) ;

1. As tempting as it is to buy meals at restaurants or carry outs, cook your own meals and bring your lunch
2. Check the prices at different grocery stores. Many grocery stores, especially in Manhattan, are a ripoff. If you can do your grocery shopping at a trader joes I highly advise it, the prices are amazing.
3. If you don't need it, don't buy it.
4. If you're going out, pregame the **** out of where you go. Even bring a flask if you can. Try to go to places with no cover. When you bu drinks your looking at $10 for a cocktail on average.

Also op do not move anywhere without a job lined up. You really should try to get your degree first as well. Oh yeah, and learn spanish depending on where you end up living.

I wanna make the move eventually....I always gravitated toward NYC culture because of hip hop but I think I would fit better in LA.

We'll see. I'm tryna break into the industry so right now I'm considering Houston, MIA, NYC, or LA.

Last edited:
CA>NY
LA>NYC
move there if anything.
and im from NY
laugh.gif
You didn't help this thread at all. At least give a reason. Are there any jobs? The cost of living is just as high in the big cities as it is in NYC and with the exception of SF, you need a car especially in LA which in NYC is more of a luxury.  The state is broke and cities are declaring bankruptcy left and right. That is not a better situation than New York to me.

As far as the Brooklyn map goes, Canarsie isn't hood. There are its bad parts, but the downside to the neighborhood is that its isolated from EVERYTHING. Crown Heights isn't hood either. I live here. The rate of gentrification has caused the crime to decrease due to increased police presence, but people still get busy. If you made that map, before I left for college six years ago I'd agree. You were spot on about Bushwick, ENY and Brownsville. Couldn't pay me to live there.

With the city allowing Columbia to expand into Harlem with no limitation, Harlem won't be as big as it is now in ten years.

Last edited:
You didn't help this thread at all. At least give a reason. Are there any jobs? The cost of living is just as high in the big cities as it is in NYC and with the exception of SF, you need a car especially in LA which in NYC is more of a luxury.  The state is broke and cities are declaring bankruptcy left and right. That is not a better situation than New York to me.

As far as the Brooklyn map goes, Canarsie isn't hood. There are its bad parts, but the downside to the neighborhood is that its isolated from EVERYTHING. Crown Heights isn't hood either. I live here. The rate of gentrification has caused the crime to decrease due to increased police presence, but people still get busy. If you made that map, before I left for college six years ago I'd agree. You were spot on about Bushwick, ENY and Brownsville. Couldn't pay me to live there.

With the city allowing Columbia to expand into Harlem with no limitation, Harlem won't be as big as it is now in ten years.

Crown heights has gotten a lot better but its still hood. Don't worry, the parade next week will remind you.

Plus only the west side of crown heights is getting gentrified (Nostrand/Rogers/Bedford). Utica has remained unchanged.

Once I graduate and find a decent job I want to make the move to Astoria. Already have a few friends living there and you can find apartments that don't have ridiculous rent prices. It would make going to the city and getting drunk so much easier.

Crown heights has gotten a lot better but its still hood. Don't worry, the parade next week will remind you.
Plus only the west side of crown heights is getting gentrified (Nostrand/Rogers/Bedford). Utica has remained unchanged.
laugh.gif
Trust me I know. I've stayed away from the Parkway for years because of that.

EDIT: Instead of saying its not hood, I should have said its not as bad as he claims it to be.

Last edited:
OP, you must've been out in the sun too long down in florida.

if you really wanna come to NYC, please do yourself a favor and handle your business and finish school and save some money before coming up here.

OP, you must've been out in the sun too long down in florida.
if you really wanna come to NYC, please do yourself a favor and handle your business and finish school and save some money before coming up here.

This

I have no job lined up, but I have restaurant/bar experience..I plan on taking a year off school to just work, after I can get in state tuition to finish my bachelors in hospitality.

PM me if you really have experience, i can get you a bartending job in nyc, easy 200$ a shift. lmk

CA>NY
LA>NYC
move there if anything.
and im from NY :lol:
I was thinking the same thing, and i'm in Texas.

Why would you want to move to new York? I hear aside from Winters, Chicago is the best city on America.

Then, Lisa Angeles is dope... Houston and Dallas is fly, and cheaper too.

Make a thread about Houston and people IN HOUSTON will never say " don't come"

will definitely be a great experience for ya
but will def be problematic for you in terms of saving up
if you have your heart set on it then you should do it... because I promise you just one year in the city will def shape your character in a major way.
regardless, good luck with your future plans.

Thanks for the positive replies(all 5 of em) I know all the downsides of making this move, but its what I want and where I want to live >D

as far as how expensive it is..ill also be losing my car payment($240) insurance($180) and gas $$, about 50 a week. With the living situation I forgot to mention that a person or two will be moving out after this year...meaning a spot for me will open.

Back
Top Bottom