I want to go to Law School...

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

A lot of knowledge has been dropped. Take all of this in consideration before making your decision. Not meant to scare, but inform. Thats what I am about. But, when its all said and done. The knowledge and skill set that I have learned, and the fraternity that I have entered becoming an attorney, is second to none! So beyond the monetary advantages that one would link with being an Attorney, you can definitely hang your hat on that! Best of luck and be strong!

Id this like a college fraternity or am I misunderstanding what your saying? What pros/cons would you say there are to joining a fraternity?
lawlz

A lot of knowledge has been dropped. Take all of this in consideration before making your decision. Not meant to scare, but inform. Thats what I am about. But, when its all said and done. The knowledge and skill set that I have learned, and the fraternity that I have entered becoming an attorney, is second to none! So beyond the monetary advantages that one would link with being an Attorney, you can definitely hang your hat on that! Best of luck and be strong!

Id this like a college fraternity or am I misunderstanding what your saying? What pros/cons would you say there are to joining a fraternity?
lawlz

Take the LSAT. See how you do and then come back asking for advice. Don't go to a TTT (third tier toilet)

IL Bar dude, what school did you attend?

Take the LSAT. See how you do and then come back asking for advice. Don't go to a TTT (third tier toilet)

IL Bar dude, what school did you attend?

Stupidest MENSA member ever. 
sick.gif

Stupidest MENSA member ever. 
sick.gif

roll.gif

Mr Mensa member, 5.0 GPA, 34 ACT hungover while skipping a section, and all that @$!*.

roll.gif

Mr Mensa member, 5.0 GPA, 34 ACT hungover while skipping a section, and all that @$!*.

There's a lot of negatives being shed on law school in the current economic climate. A lot of points were already touched on but I'll elaborate a bit. First, with the poor job market many individuals in their 20s to 30s are returning to graduate schools and law school in particular for higher education in hopes of building up their resumes significantly and ideally obtaining "better jobs." Competition for and in law school is ridiculous, I'm sure you've all heard the saying "lawyers are a dime a dozen." This is especially a problem in the Northeast. Secondly the LSAT is very difficult and only a small percentage of people score in the 160 and over range necessary for upper-echelon law programs. If you're completely serious and convinced on attending law school I would recommend taking a LSAT prep course regardless of the cost (usually close to $1200 for 10 sessions). Lastly you should definitely speak with current law students to get their personal experiences given the unique circumstances in our economy and job market. I know a lot of 2L's that regret their decision to attend law school but it's often too late to turn back. The last thing anyone needs is 100k in debt and little or no resources to pay it off long-term. Three years of law school requires at least 100k including tuition and expenses and that figure is on the low end of the spectrum. Overall, you have to REALLY want it and work hard to be near the top of the class for those prestigious, high-paying positions at reputable firms. Then again a lot of lawyers realize later on that their career path wasn't what they expected, meaning don't believe the Hollywood glorification of being an attorney. For example, corporate attorneys in the business field deal with paperwork more than anything but the common misconception is that all or most lawyers practice on a regular basis IN COURT, which is not the case. One last point of importance is that being an underrepresented minority can be a major help. Law schools don't publicly acknowledge this but they must fill certain unofficial quotas and percentages. Therefore some underrepresented minorities are accepted with a lower GPA or LSAT score than another prospective candidate.  

There's a lot of negatives being shed on law school in the current economic climate. A lot of points were already touched on but I'll elaborate a bit. First, with the poor job market many individuals in their 20s to 30s are returning to graduate schools and law school in particular for higher education in hopes of building up their resumes significantly and ideally obtaining "better jobs." Competition for and in law school is ridiculous, I'm sure you've all heard the saying "lawyers are a dime a dozen." This is especially a problem in the Northeast. Secondly the LSAT is very difficult and only a small percentage of people score in the 160 and over range necessary for upper-echelon law programs. If you're completely serious and convinced on attending law school I would recommend taking a LSAT prep course regardless of the cost (usually close to $1200 for 10 sessions). Lastly you should definitely speak with current law students to get their personal experiences given the unique circumstances in our economy and job market. I know a lot of 2L's that regret their decision to attend law school but it's often too late to turn back. The last thing anyone needs is 100k in debt and little or no resources to pay it off long-term. Three years of law school requires at least 100k including tuition and expenses and that figure is on the low end of the spectrum. Overall, you have to REALLY want it and work hard to be near the top of the class for those prestigious, high-paying positions at reputable firms. Then again a lot of lawyers realize later on that their career path wasn't what they expected, meaning don't believe the Hollywood glorification of being an attorney. For example, corporate attorneys in the business field deal with paperwork more than anything but the common misconception is that all or most lawyers practice on a regular basis IN COURT, which is not the case. One last point of importance is that being an underrepresented minority can be a major help. Law schools don't publicly acknowledge this but they must fill certain unofficial quotas and percentages. Therefore some underrepresented minorities are accepted with a lower GPA or LSAT score than another prospective candidate.  

Originally Posted by frankl1001

JDMBA
This.. There are a ton of options with a JDMBA. Although it is going to be extremely extremely tough, I think it is definitely worth it. Hit the books hard and network the entire time. 

JDMBA
This.. There are a ton of options with a JDMBA. Although it is going to be extremely extremely tough, I think it is definitely worth it. Hit the books hard and network the entire time. 

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

JDMBA
Not necessarily true. The opportunity cost of a JD/MBA is immense, and because the two fields are so drastically different you'll probably end up only using one of those degrees. Most JD/MBAs find their business degree to be far more valuable in the future. At business school you network with people who will be working in finance, marketing, non-profit, government, consulting, etc. in totally different roles. At law school you network with other people who will either be lawyers, or sales associates at the Gap. That's a lot of debt and a lot of unearned wages just to say you have both degrees.
@ OP, as far as your desire to go to Law School:

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

JDMBA
Not necessarily true. The opportunity cost of a JD/MBA is immense, and because the two fields are so drastically different you'll probably end up only using one of those degrees. Most JD/MBAs find their business degree to be far more valuable in the future. At business school you network with people who will be working in finance, marketing, non-profit, government, consulting, etc. in totally different roles. At law school you network with other people who will either be lawyers, or sales associates at the Gap. That's a lot of debt and a lot of unearned wages just to say you have both degrees.
@ OP, as far as your desire to go to Law School:

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Around which ranking would you consider a school "too low" for serious consideration?
Some people will say anything below the T14 (top 14) is "too low". From what others have told me though, once you go lower and lower in the rankings, law schools are regional on the most part. Personally, I think anywhere out of the "Top 100" is too low for me. While it's still possible to make "good" money coming from a law school ranked on the lower end of the top 100, I'm realistic enough to know I won't be making anywhere near $100k coming out of law school. I'm currently applying to law school after working 3+ years in a law firm. From what many law school students and lawyers have told me, really know for sure whether or not you want to attend law school. I personally can't wait to finally start law school in the Fall.

Back
Top Bottom