I want to go to Law School...

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Around which ranking would you consider a school "too low" for serious consideration?
Some people will say anything below the T14 (top 14) is "too low". From what others have told me though, once you go lower and lower in the rankings, law schools are regional on the most part. Personally, I think anywhere out of the "Top 100" is too low for me. While it's still possible to make "good" money coming from a law school ranked on the lower end of the top 100, I'm realistic enough to know I won't be making anywhere near $100k coming out of law school. I'm currently applying to law school after working 3+ years in a law firm. From what many law school students and lawyers have told me, really know for sure whether or not you want to attend law school. I personally can't wait to finally start law school in the Fall.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by suge67

law school does not equal growth of an individual in society

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.
laugh.gif

Big ups to you man. I have been seriously considering going to law school as well.

Let's get it!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by suge67

law school does not equal growth of an individual in society

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.
laugh.gif

Big ups to you man. I have been seriously considering going to law school as well.

Let's get it!
pimp.gif

I guess we are going to have a lot of NT lawyers in a few years.

I've been practicing for about 6 years now and every year I think about getting out this lifestyle and starting a business of my own. lol

Do your research before you even start studying for the LSATs. That is a lot of money going to waste if you later decide you do not want to go to law school. It will probably be too late after the 1st year when you are already 80k in debt.

I guess we are going to have a lot of NT lawyers in a few years.

I've been practicing for about 6 years now and every year I think about getting out this lifestyle and starting a business of my own. lol

Do your research before you even start studying for the LSATs. That is a lot of money going to waste if you later decide you do not want to go to law school. It will probably be too late after the 1st year when you are already 80k in debt.

Right now, I'm writing a 500 word essay on what I think "being a lawyer" meant on Jan 4th 2011 (before the 1st class). Maybe everyone should write one before thinking about law school. Should crystalize the strength of your desire.

Having my CPA and working at a firm I didn't like had going the Law route. Took the LSAT and had 3 prospective schools in mind based on areas I wanted to study. Then I found a firm 8 mins from my house that specializes in an area I'm really interested in.

Those schools weren't the top tier, either. It was simply because I wanted to continue learning.

Good luck to you and pursue whatever it is that interests you. Higher learning can be gratifying.

Having my CPA and working at a firm I didn't like had going the Law route. Took the LSAT and had 3 prospective schools in mind based on areas I wanted to study. Then I found a firm 8 mins from my house that specializes in an area I'm really interested in.

Those schools weren't the top tier, either. It was simply because I wanted to continue learning.

Good luck to you and pursue whatever it is that interests you. Higher learning can be gratifying.

Right now, I'm writing a 500 word essay on what I think "being a lawyer" meant on Jan 4th 2011 (before the 1st class). Maybe everyone should write one before thinking about law school. Should crystalize the strength of your desire.

Originally Posted by kamakazipnoygt

Around which ranking would you consider a school "too low" for serious consideration?
Some people will say anything below the T14 (top 14) is "too low". From what others have told me though, once you go lower and lower in the rankings, law schools are regional on the most part. Personally, I think anywhere out of the "Top 100" is too low for me. While it's still possible to make "good" money coming from a law school ranked on the lower end of the top 100, I'm realistic enough to know I won't be making anywhere near $100k coming out of law school. I'm currently applying to law school after working 3+ years in a law firm. From what many law school students and lawyers have told me, really know for sure whether or not you want to attend law school. I personally can't wait to finally start law school in the Fall.
That's what I was thinking. I work at a really big firm at the moment, and we have associates and partners from a 100+ ranked school located a few blocks from our main office--main office is in Houston with others around the world.  I've heard that if you don't go to a T14, that your best bet is to just go to a school in the region you would like to practice.

Originally Posted by kamakazipnoygt

That's what I was thinking. I work at a really big firm at the moment, and we have associates and partners from a 100+ ranked school located a few blocks from our main office--main office is in Houston with others around the world.  I've heard that if you don't go to a T14, that your best bet is to just go to a school in the region you would like to practice.

In regards to what school to go to, it depends on what your goal as a future attorney is. If you want to practice big law (huge law firm), than you better be in a Top Tier school or either be in the top 3% of your class. But if you want to "hang your own shingle" or work as a prosecutor or PD with the future aspirations of becoming a judge, than a law school in the geographic area that you plan to live and practice in is crucial!

With that said, I would argue that above all of the Top Tier talk, is deciding where you want to practice. Go to a school in that area, and network network network there. But, regardless of where you go (Top 100 or Tier 4), you need to grade and rank the very best you can.

Hope this helps...

In regards to what school to go to, it depends on what your goal as a future attorney is. If you want to practice big law (huge law firm), than you better be in a Top Tier school or either be in the top 3% of your class. But if you want to "hang your own shingle" or work as a prosecutor or PD with the future aspirations of becoming a judge, than a law school in the geographic area that you plan to live and practice in is crucial!

With that said, I would argue that above all of the Top Tier talk, is deciding where you want to practice. Go to a school in that area, and network network network there. But, regardless of where you go (Top 100 or Tier 4), you need to grade and rank the very best you can.

Hope this helps...

DO NOT go to law school unless you have every intention of becoming a high ranking lawyer at a firm, becoming a judge, or have an idea of what you want to do after graduating. You've already spent 4 years of your life getting a boring degree, dont spend another 3.5 years doing this again. And certainly do not go to law school just because it sounds cool or you think you will learn great things. There is too much money to be lost and too much debt that will follow you afterwards. 

- You said you graduated but werent the best. In Law School there is no middle ground. You either fail or pass.

My suggestion to you is that you do some research on what best interest you in the field of "law" and then re-evaluate this whole thing. 

But if you want to take the LSAT for giggles, go for it there is no harm in that---just know that that test does not even come close to the kind of material you will see in law school. 

Now if after all that thinking you still decide to go to Law School then,

-Go to a law school in the state that you plan on practicing afterwards. The reality is that unless you go to a top tier school no one cares what school you went to, therefore the best shot you will get at getting a job right out of school is in your state. Sometimes even in a [competitive] state like Texas,  firms are particular about even the city you went to school in.

-Take a tour of the school you plan on going to first. Ask the people around campus what they think of the school and community.

-Real Friends do not exist in law school. Atleast not in 1L, they all want to do better than you so be careful about "studying" with them. Make friends with the older students and learn the "ways" from them. 

Good luck with your decision.

btw, Torts class FTW!

DO NOT go to law school unless you have every intention of becoming a high ranking lawyer at a firm, becoming a judge, or have an idea of what you want to do after graduating. You've already spent 4 years of your life getting a boring degree, dont spend another 3.5 years doing this again. And certainly do not go to law school just because it sounds cool or you think you will learn great things. There is too much money to be lost and too much debt that will follow you afterwards. 

- You said you graduated but werent the best. In Law School there is no middle ground. You either fail or pass.

My suggestion to you is that you do some research on what best interest you in the field of "law" and then re-evaluate this whole thing. 

But if you want to take the LSAT for giggles, go for it there is no harm in that---just know that that test does not even come close to the kind of material you will see in law school. 

Now if after all that thinking you still decide to go to Law School then,

-Go to a law school in the state that you plan on practicing afterwards. The reality is that unless you go to a top tier school no one cares what school you went to, therefore the best shot you will get at getting a job right out of school is in your state. Sometimes even in a [competitive] state like Texas,  firms are particular about even the city you went to school in.

-Take a tour of the school you plan on going to first. Ask the people around campus what they think of the school and community.

-Real Friends do not exist in law school. Atleast not in 1L, they all want to do better than you so be careful about "studying" with them. Make friends with the older students and learn the "ways" from them. 

Good luck with your decision.

btw, Torts class FTW!

A lot of info dropped in this thread. I myself am a prospective law student, one more year of my undergrad to go.. I took the practice LSAT administered by Kaplan just to see what it was like and what areas I would need work in without any practice and got a 146 =/ Time will tell I suppose..

A lot of info dropped in this thread. I myself am a prospective law student, one more year of my undergrad to go.. I took the practice LSAT administered by Kaplan just to see what it was like and what areas I would need work in without any practice and got a 146 =/ Time will tell I suppose..

Law school was dope. I recently graduated from Texas in May 2010. Law school truly is an academic obstacle course. I honestly felt like I came in as a pawn and walked out as a King. It will train you to be an intellectual. It was an absolutely phenomenal intellectual experience. My recommendation is go to the best law school that you get into for the cheapest price. For instance, when I was considering law school, I was debating between Northwestern and Texas. I chose Texas even though NU was ranked 5 spots higher because it cost me $100k less. Fortunately, it turned out that Austin is the greatest town ever so it worked out well. Don't overpay for your education. You can obtain a phenomenally good legal education even if you attend a school ranked in the 50s. Law school is all about the effort that you put into it. Education is never worthless.

It's an incredibly challenging experience but if you invest the time in it, you will see dividends of epic proportions. I highly recommend it. 

Law school was dope. I recently graduated from Texas in May 2010. Law school truly is an academic obstacle course. I honestly felt like I came in as a pawn and walked out as a King. It will train you to be an intellectual. It was an absolutely phenomenal intellectual experience. My recommendation is go to the best law school that you get into for the cheapest price. For instance, when I was considering law school, I was debating between Northwestern and Texas. I chose Texas even though NU was ranked 5 spots higher because it cost me $100k less. Fortunately, it turned out that Austin is the greatest town ever so it worked out well. Don't overpay for your education. You can obtain a phenomenally good legal education even if you attend a school ranked in the 50s. Law school is all about the effort that you put into it. Education is never worthless.

It's an incredibly challenging experience but if you invest the time in it, you will see dividends of epic proportions. I highly recommend it. 

45k JD/year and ~30k employment positions. 
Can't fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Unless you're committed to getting in a Tier 1 school and graduate top 10% then don't do it. Graduating law school only to make 40k/year (or even 60/year) is beyond asinine. You don't need a law degree to make that kind of money. You also have to take into account and the opportunity cost of trading 3 years worth of experience and wages for substantial debt. 

45k JD/year and ~30k employment positions. 
Can't fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Unless you're committed to getting in a Tier 1 school and graduate top 10% then don't do it. Graduating law school only to make 40k/year (or even 60/year) is beyond asinine. You don't need a law degree to make that kind of money. You also have to take into account and the opportunity cost of trading 3 years worth of experience and wages for substantial debt. 

Back
Top Bottom