I Almost died early this month.

My cousin died from a Motorcycle few years back in 2014, and this dude who rode with one of my other cousins died a week later after I met him in 2011. It’s crazy because some other dude told him to chill on getting a 1000 bike because he can die from it. Next week he dies and the dude who told him died last year. RIP E.

I’ll never ride a motorcycle. Can barely see them on the road.

Only way I ride a motorcycle is if you attach Police Sirens and Police lights on it.

Pics. And yes, I was wearing a helmet (Thank God).

Attachments

• C4O13559.JPG
    C4O13559.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 40
  • C4O13575.JPG
    C4O13575.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 34
  • C4O13698.JPG
    C4O13698.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 471197_10151953328135637_688787231_o.jpg
    471197_10151953328135637_688787231_o.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 43
Forgive me in advance if any of this comes off a little bitter or inconsiderate.
Obviously I'm glad you're okay OP, but incidents like this just make me think about how lucky others have been and how unlucky I am. I'm not dead, but am surviving with a limp arm and chronic nerve pain as result of a motorcycle accident I was involved 7 years ago (April 2012). It was an incident in which I was cutoff by and collided with a van. It sucks because, I (think) I DID everything right: riding at the appropriate speed, lane, not swerving, not doing tricks...but the driver of the van didn't see me and pull out of a driveway into my lane (illegally) cutting me off and causing the collision. Supposedly a semi truck was turning in the intersection blocked our vision.

I say "I think" because I was knocked out immediately as result of the collision. I don't remember anything from that day, days leading up to it, or the 2-3 days afterwards. I only can go off of the police report and what others have told me.

The resulting injuries included a fractured pelvis, fractured tooth, broken wrist/hand, bruised ribs, traumatic brain injury, and a brachial plexus avulsion. I spent a month in the hospital, had 5 surgeries, 6 months in occupation, physical and cognitive out-patient therlapy. Flew out to the Mayo clinic twice for treatment. And had numerous xrays, CT Scans, MRIs, EMGs...all in all to date, over $500,000 was been spent on treatment for the injuries I sustained from the collision. Only $15K if which was covered by her INS. :angry:

The worst part if it is, the affected arm was my dominant (right) arm and remains inoperable. Nerves from my spine were torn and cannot send signals to the arm/hand. I had to learn to do everything over again, using my left hand ONLY. Adding to that, I still have sporadic nerve pain, so I'm forever on meds 3x a day to "manage" the pain.

I'm grateful that I can walk, speak, and still have a normal life (for the most part) but so much MY life style was taken from me as result of the injury. I used to play (competitive) basketball regularly, maintained physical conditioning, drove a standard/stick shift car, was pursuing a career no longer optional, and my planned to move to California which was sidelined indefinitely; due to financial setbacks. It's still really hard to accept this and move forward with my life.

I know it doesn't sound too bad to y'all, and I know it could be way worse, but for me; it's been Hell. Plenty of days I've been depressed, mad at the world. I've cried, cursed out my loved ones, thought about suicide, etc. I always knew the dangers of riding motorcycles and had prepared to either die on one or be paralyzed from the waist down. What I didn't prepare for was the paralysis or my dominant arm. This totally threw me for a loop.

I've got nothing against bike or bike riders, but I agree with the sentiments of the posters above. People don't pay attention (enough) while driving; adding to the risks of being out there on two wheels. To those who still ride, be safe and just know that despite all you do to be safe, ishh can still happen and you must be prepared to live/die with the consequences. Sorry for the rant.

tl;dr - motorcycle accident in 2012. Lost use or right arm. Life altered and has been miserable since.

I’m happy you’re okay man. That sounds like a lot to go through. I know it’s been a rough couple or years but I’m glad to hear you are still here and pushing through.

With that said I will probably put my iron up for sale this week.

Glad you’re ok, OP.

I’ll never give up riding, there’s nothing like it.

As long as you operate under the assumption that you’re a ghost on public roads, you should be fine.

And even if drivers can see you, they generally don’t care and will cut you off or come into your lane without signaling anyway.

After riding a bunch you sort of develop a 6th sense for moronic driving.

If you decided to hop back on, stay safe.

Glad you’re ok, OP.

I’ll never give up riding, there’s nothing like it.

As long as you operate under the assumption that you’re a ghost on public roads, you should be fine.

And even if drivers can see you, they generally don’t care and will cut you off or come into your lane without signaling anyway.

After riding a bunch you sort of develop a 6th sense for moronic driving.

If you decided to hop back on, stay safe.

I second this I no longer street ride I have a full race bike now tired of cops. Still I agree I have learned so much and made so many new friends from the motorcycle community to ever give up riding. Op get back out there if your insurance doesn't get sky high this is coming from a fellow zx10 rider.

You're blessed OP. I sold mine after I had my son (Father in law is a bike mechanic so I'm always tempted :nerd:). Not that this statement is for you but in general bikers don't get as much respect on the road as they should and it's crazy to see sometimes especially living in cities with heavy traffic like myself. Hope all ya'll stay safe as possible.

I know waaaaaaay too many folks killed or seriously injured in motorcycle crashes. I'd never get one. Glad you're ok, OP

Glad you're okay, dude.

I can only speak for where I live, but bikers be wylin, especially on 495. If you're doing 120 on the freeway, swerving in and out if lanes, you obviously just have a death wish.

Back
Top Bottom