How long until the NBA is good again?

I kind of agree with the 'big city' market statement. In the past ten years, only the spurs and pistons have had any small market presence in winning the finals. Back in the day, every player gave it their all no matter what team they played for. I.e. Isiah, drexler, etc. Now it seems that the NBA players think they're rappers. They wanna start picking between east coast/west coast and tattoo themselves up, all for image.

As a NYer, as I stated before - I want lebron to stay in CLE and I might be the only one that feels this way. Only because I want to see my Knicks arise from the bottom with real chemistry like we did in 99 when we were underdogs. Let's mix it up a little bit. How about throwing MIL, SAC or MIN into the mix of playoff contention but as long as these NBA players continue to think they're rappers (I.e. lebron) the NBA is going to be crap for years.

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

I kind of agree with the 'big city' market statement. In the past ten years, only the spurs and pistons have had any small market presence in winning the finals. Back in the day, every player gave it their all no matter what team they played for. I.e. Isiah, drexler, etc. Now it seems that the NBA players think they're rappers. They wanna start picking between east coast/west coast and tattoo themselves up, all for image.

As a NYer, as I stated before - I want lebron to stay in CLE and I might be the only one that feels this way. Only because I want to see my Knicks arise from the bottom with real chemistry like we did in 99 when we were underdogs. Let's mix it up a little bit. How about throwing MIL, SAC or MIN into the mix of playoff contention but as long as these NBA players continue to think they're rappers (I.e. lebron) the NBA is going to be crap for years.

This is exactly what i meant by the players ego's.
We got these dude's making millions, and they complain about where they are and where they want to go.
I guess they can cause either way they will make all that money, but its bull non-the-less.

Yall know San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US right? Not to mention there's a huge international influence in their fanbase because of their players and also the proximity to Mexico.

Dude is lying if he said he won't watch the Finals. SMh what else would be watching then son ? soap opera ?

The young players all know each other through AAU growing up so you don't get the fierce rivalries like 80s Lakers/Celtics or 90s Bulls/Knicks anymore.

I am with you OP. All this talk about such n such team being a problem in the next few years such as OKC does not fly from my perspective because the league is not how it was in the 80's and 90's when you had most teams/players staying together to build up. That OKC team along with others will not have it's same core over the next few years so it really does not matter. Last but not least, David Stern is CFR and the big markets will continue to rule for monetary purposes with a few anomalies every so many years to attempt to throw off "fixing."

Originally Posted by kicks4kaskets

The young players all know each other through AAU growing up so you don't get the fierce rivalries like 80s Lakers/Celtics or 90s Bulls/Knicks anymore.
^ Good observation but I believe AAU's were around in the 80's and i know for sure in the 90's

I don't really understand this. I think when YOUR team is good then you probably enjoy watching more. I know for me...those years the Lakers were horrible and just eking into the playoffs with no chance I really disliked watching their games during the regular season. They had no consistency, no style of play, no definite progression or regression. Same with watching the Warriors for me...i love em to death but it is discouraging watching them. That is just how professional basketball is. The talent across the league is actually pretty good. Of course with a smaller league their will be more talent on each team. However, I think given how ridiculously close the West playoff race finished off and the fairly exciting first round series the NBA is doing pretty good. There are 3 or 4 teams that are better than everyone else as of current rosters (Lakers, Celtics, Orlando, Clevand), then there are clear 2nd tier teams (Suns, Dallas, Spurs, Hawks and to a much lesser degree Miami). Then there are emerging teams such as the Thunder, Portland. Besides the complete trash teams like the Warriors (5 d-leaguers), Knicks, etc there are seriously a good 10 teams that could POSSIBLY compete for a championship if the right roster moves, or trades are made. As it stands, Lakers and Celtics have the deepest, most talented teams and as such will win. That's how it should be. This isn't the NCAA one and done cinderella story. It is better than that...it is about adjustments, real playoff basketball, hard fought close games and above all...the best teams winning. If you look back at the NBA throughout history it is always been this way.

I do agree with the rivalries, etc stuff. Though that is just how the league is now...it is a finesse sport. There really was no need for all that extra hard fouling, etc, etc of the decades past. It just leads to injuries, fights etc. If you want to see that, watch the NHL. Steve Nash would say the league is hitting just as hard. With the freak athletes of this generation there needs to be a place to protect them. No one wants to see Josh Smith about to nail down a jam and some scrub come over and sideswipe him in midair and that just be a normal foul.

My only beef is with the reffing system. I'd like a lot more transparency to the general public in the form of advanced statistics (ala basketball-reference.com style) about right calls, wrong calls, etc etc and how they review after the games/during games etc. Additionally, I think the NBA needs much younger refs. Don't want old dudes rolling around trying to chase down a 6'5 superhuman athlete and make that call. Reffing is an athletic game at this level and as such needs to be stocked with the right people.

Above all though...the best teams win. The game is enjoyable to watch. Their are a number of different styles/brands of bball being played now. Overall....i still love this game and the NBA.

David Stern is on the Council of Foreign Relations, eh? That says a lot...

Salty fans of crappy teams are always complaining. The NBA will only get "good" when their teams get good. lol

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

This thread should be titled. "How long until the EAST is good again?". Western conference always battles it out heading into the playoffs, where usually 2-8 alternate just off a few wins/losses.

It's the East who always sucks with the exception of 2-3 teams being the obvious.

I'm tired of people comparing the records. I really don't see much of a difference between the conferences. 

I don't know WTH you are watching, but the NBA has come a long way since last decade (Before the Heat won in 2006). 2009 Boston Vs. Chicago, classic series. I'm not going to lie when the Finals come around, I rarely watch the games. The last two I watched every game were then the Pistons beat the Lakers and when Miami beat Dallas.

i agree, nba has been dull during yhe regular season, the rating have been bad

nba needs 2 things to be good again

1. knicks to be relevant again (which can happen this summer)
2. a real good rivalry between 2 teams in the same conference (we can see it this november with knicks vs bulls)

People cry for small market teams to be good, but no one watches the playoffs when small market teams are doing well.

Theres a reason its a small market.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

2. a real good rivalry between 2 teams in the same conference (we can see it this november with knicks vs bulls)

The best rivalry in todays NBA is the SPURS vs mavs hands down...

OP the NBA has been very good to me the last decade...
f4e16f43b48cec5ce96f7cbcebbd3986d24379af.gif

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by JD617

I want all teams to have a chance, not just "big market cities"
Me too. I wish a small-market team like the Spurs had a chance.

i will not watch one game.
Sounds good.

usa-population-map.jpg

Orlando beat Atlanta
San    Antonio   beat  Dallas

this

if the "big market theory" was true then whats going on with the knicks? being that NY is the biggest market out there

Maybe it's cause I'm just a basketball fiend...but I take these "the nba is bad, not like the old days" rants with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by JD617

I want all teams to have a chance, not just "big market cities"
Me too. I wish a small-market team like the Spurs had a chance.

i will not watch one game.
Sounds good.

usa-population-map.jpg

Orlando beat Atlanta
San    Antonio   beat  Dallas

this

if the "big market theory" was true then whats going on with the knicks? being that NY is the biggest market out there

Same thing thats goes on with the Clippers. Not everyone in big markets can be good. The tri-state market had the Nets doing big things not too long ago as well.

O and im pretty sure next year the Knicks/Nets gonna be there, atleast one of them. Lebron or not, they are going to do something. They havnt been planning/dumping salary for the last 4 years just to sit back and end up battling it out for Joe Johnson. God I hope not (for their fans sake).

(O_O) @ David Stern being on the CFR.That is neeeeeeeeeews to me!
I hear you though OP.

It'll be good on Tuesday, when the Lakers face against the Suns for game 4. Should be a great one.

Go Lakers woo!

Back
Top Bottom