How good is Monta Ellis really?

It's way too easy to tell who only watches a handful of Warrior games a season.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Fringe all-star at best. He's a decent scorer, and has improved this season from last. Given, that's not saying much, considering the Warriors were around 11 points per 100 possessions better without him on the floor last season.
laugh.gif

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, as evidenced by his differential last season, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.

It's not fair to judge his D while he's on Golden State.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Fringe all-star at best. He's a decent scorer, and has improved this season from last. Given, that's not saying much, considering the Warriors were around 11 points per 100 possessions better without him on the floor last season.
laugh.gif

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, as evidenced by his differential last season, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.

^ No. What does Kevin Martin do better than Monta? Pump fake? Monta has a higher shooting percentage than him and scores more points per game. And Dirk is obviously a better player but he can't straight up break down a defense off pure athleticism or get out on a fastbreak the way Monta can, he leaves that up to JT and Kidd.

^ No. What does Kevin Martin do better than Monta? Pump fake? Monta has a higher shooting percentage than him and scores more points per game. And Dirk is obviously a better player but he can't straight up break down a defense off pure athleticism or get out on a fastbreak the way Monta can, he leaves that up to JT and Kidd.

Monta Ellis: Fun to watch, wouldn't want him on my team

Does he always defend SG's? That backcourt is at a serious disadvantage so I won't give him or Curry slack. They need to ship him out and build a conventional team.

Monta Ellis: Fun to watch, wouldn't want him on my team

Does he always defend SG's? That backcourt is at a serious disadvantage so I won't give him or Curry slack. They need to ship him out and build a conventional team.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Kevin Martin?
laugh.gif
Scores 23 a game and has the 2nd highest TS% of anyone who shoots at least 15 shots per game. Among the league's best this season as a scorer with opposing defenses factored in.

Dude said this season right? Well there you go. Don't discount him because he plays for a small-market Houston team.
And Dirk is obviously a better player but he can't straight up break down a defense off pure athleticism or get out on a fastbreak the way Monta can.
He doesn't. He just uses finesse and smarts and nails a jumper with you in his face.

You're partly right, but given his team's bad defense he's still been wack on that end.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Kevin Martin?
laugh.gif
Scores 23 a game and has the 2nd highest TS% of anyone who shoots at least 15 shots per game. Among the league's best this season as a scorer with opposing defenses factored in.

Dude said this season right? Well there you go. Don't discount him because he plays for a small-market Houston team.
And Dirk is obviously a better player but he can't straight up break down a defense off pure athleticism or get out on a fastbreak the way Monta can.
He doesn't. He just uses finesse and smarts and nails a jumper with you in his face.

You're partly right, but given his team's bad defense he's still been wack on that end.

If I did that, I'd see plenty of teams playing defense (Heat, Bulls,Celtics, Hornets, Spurs, Bucks, Magic). Even the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers,Hawks and Grizzles have played good defense. That's 40% of the leaguebringing it on D.

Just because the Warriors (and Ellis) suck on defense doesn't mean that "80% of the league" also does.
Individual defense.
In 2007 their half court set was basically a high pick and roll endingwith a top of the key jumper. That was damn near automatic for him.Then when they were mismatched they'd free hin off the ball with picksand he'd get a nice 15-18 foot jumper.He's playing this year like most, if not all of us, expected for theyear he broke his foot.I'm easily one Monta's bigger critics, but even I think he couldsucceed within a half court set because he's shown he can. He's not a 1dimensional scorer who only gets points at the rim.
Exclusively halfcourt.

How often did that happen? Maybe ten times out of the 100+ possessions per game?

I take back what I said about Ellis being my least favorite. It's definitely Kevin Martin. He plays like a WNBA player. About as dainty as one, too.

If I did that, I'd see plenty of teams playing defense (Heat, Bulls,Celtics, Hornets, Spurs, Bucks, Magic). Even the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers,Hawks and Grizzles have played good defense. That's 40% of the leaguebringing it on D.

Just because the Warriors (and Ellis) suck on defense doesn't mean that "80% of the league" also does.
Individual defense.
In 2007 their half court set was basically a high pick and roll endingwith a top of the key jumper. That was damn near automatic for him.Then when they were mismatched they'd free hin off the ball with picksand he'd get a nice 15-18 foot jumper.He's playing this year like most, if not all of us, expected for theyear he broke his foot.I'm easily one Monta's bigger critics, but even I think he couldsucceed within a half court set because he's shown he can. He's not a 1dimensional scorer who only gets points at the rim.
Exclusively halfcourt.

How often did that happen? Maybe ten times out of the 100+ possessions per game?

I take back what I said about Ellis being my least favorite. It's definitely Kevin Martin. He plays like a WNBA player. About as dainty as one, too.

For a perimeter player, not much, really.

Attempting to keep your man in front of you. Most don't because they don't care to, so then it's on to directing them into your post defenders. And then contesting shots, which also rarely happens effectively.

He's not that bad on defense as you guys make it. He doesn't shut people down, but he can bother people defensively and be a little pesky defender.

Now, Stephen Curry is horrible at defense.

He's not that bad on defense as you guys make it. He doesn't shut people down, but he can bother people defensively and be a little pesky defender.

Now, Stephen Curry is horrible at defense.

For a perimeter player, not much, really.

Attempting to keep your man in front of you. Most don't because they don't care to, so then it's on to directing them into your post defenders. And then contesting shots, which also rarely happens effectively.

Back
Top Bottom